Cherry MX Browns...

ShivaYash

05 Jul 2015, 18:48

My wife is on maternity leave so cleared her office and brought home her full sized FILCO with Browns. I think I'm in love, being a user of Blues before getting the SSK, I was a big fan but since the BS entered my life, Blues felt awful. Really too light and not enough bite. A worn Brown however feels really nice. Light but substantial. I realise there is not much difference in terms of actual weight to the keys, perhaps its a nice break to have something so 'silent'!

Perhaps there is space in my life for some MX after all.

Comments invited.

ShivaYash

05 Jul 2015, 23:26

Guess I'm alone on this one ;-)

zts

05 Jul 2015, 23:46

If anybody can do Cherry MX browns right -- it's Filco.

Halvar

08 Jul 2015, 11:57

I'm using MX brown (Filco) at the office because of noise and an SSK and a beamspring board at home. I like the slight tactility of MX brown, and you can type really silently with them with hardly bottoming out after some getting acquainted.

HzFaq

08 Jul 2015, 12:10

Browns are alright I guess, I'm not a massive fan of light switches but I have them (pcb mounted) on my FaceU and they're a nice refreshing change from blacks/clears.

The browns on the MX5000 feel really nice as well.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

08 Jul 2015, 12:20

Have you tried reds?

ShivaYash

09 Jul 2015, 14:41

Spikebolt wrote: Have you tried reds?
Not tried Reds but I agree with all comments, in the office, Browns really do work. I am using the HHKB2 in a very quite office and it certainly gets some stares owing to the noise, and not the operator.

Filco really does some nice stuff, and the full size board is a beauty with old WYSE terminal keycaps.

Metalmind

31 Jul 2015, 11:55

IMO. For some reason Browns feels better on a Filco, they are more tactile.

ShivaYash

31 Jul 2015, 16:30

I've sold the Blues and kept the full sized Browns, I agree. Strange heh. Also sold my Poker II for this reason.

Metalmind

31 Jul 2015, 16:38

You have the same feelings as me about blues. You should try reds. I bought blues after using browns and was awful. Two months algo I went for red just for curiosity and now I love them.

ShivaYash

31 Jul 2015, 16:47

I usually would but since getting the SSK, I've not looked back. My MX days are behind me now. For travel I use the HHKBPro2 and for home/ office, I have the SSK. Will check out reds if I see them in a shop but for the moment, I'm done.

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2015, 17:11

You graduated! Welcome to the esteemed and snooty IBM and Topre snob club. It's a fine, if often loud, place to be.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

31 Jul 2015, 17:57

Seems like no one replied to what seems (to me) to be the most important part of the OP:

Congrats, ShivaYash! Boy or girl? First kid?

MrsXMIT is on maternity leave as well and prefers her Topre Realforce 87u 45g black-on-black board. We have two kids who I call littleXMIT (toddler girl) and XMITjr (baby boy). littleXMIT definitely prefers beam springs and has the same opinion of cheap rubber dome boards as I do: good for banging and smashing but not much else.

zslane

31 Jul 2015, 21:18

Are Topres clicky? I didn't think they were...

It seems to me, judging from the threads around here, that more MX Blues get sold to folks trying to capture the sound of an old IBM keyboard than for any other reason.

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2015, 21:25

No. They are not clicky. But IBM sure is.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

31 Jul 2015, 21:30

I'm not sure if MX blues buyers know what a Model M sounds like. You could get a nice Model M cheaper than MX board 6.

ShivaYash

31 Jul 2015, 21:31

XMIT wrote:Seems like no one replied to what seems (to me) to be the most important part of the OP:

Congrats, ShivaYash! Boy or girl? First kid?

MrsXMIT is on maternity leave as well and prefers her Topre Realforce 87u 45g black-on-black board. We have two kids who I call littleXMIT (toddler girl) and XMITjr (baby boy). littleXMIT definitely prefers beam springs and has the same opinion of cheap rubber dome boards as I do: good for banging and smashing but not much else.
Thanks! We had a boy last week, his name is Grayson. Second child, he is an absolute gent. In love. Great names by the way. If only wifey would let me...

ShivaYash

31 Jul 2015, 21:32

zslane wrote:Are Topres clicky? I didn't think they were...

It seems to me, judging from the threads around here, that more MX Blues get sold to folks trying to capture the sound of an old IBM keyboard than for any other reason.
I graduated to Blues after a year or so with Browns. But they are just too bloody noisy.

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2015, 22:52

Indeed. MX is a jack of all trades. Browns are nothing like Topre. And blues are no closer to IBM. But there are plenty of people out there who will tell you they are, of course.

The best MX are the linears. The older the better. And the best reason to use MX is the unparalleled selection of caps.
seebart wrote: I'm not sure if MX blues buyers know what a Model M sounds like. You could get a nice Model M cheaper than MX board 6.
Hell, if you're me, you can get an SSK cheaper than a Noppoo. MX Board 6.0 is Beamspring money! For this Scotsman anyway.

Ray

31 Jul 2015, 23:13

But Mu, that doesn't work for anyone else. You are the one and only cheapskate snob there is.

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2015, 00:14

Yeah, and I like to show off about it! You know you're talking to old-timers when you hear about scores like $25 SSKs and $100 beamsprings. Webwit's got a hoard of stuff that you wouldn't believe. I should have been there, instead of watching c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate…

JanitorJoe

01 Aug 2015, 09:17

XMIT wrote: littleXMIT definitely prefers beam springs
Your children are spoiled XMIT.

Return to “Keyboards”