Switches for 16 mm key pitch keyboard

Silver

08 Jul 2015, 07:55

Hello; I found this community while searching for a new keyboard to buy, and now I am pretty enthused about the idea of building a keyboard of my own. So far I have mostly found answers to my newbie questions in various helpful guides, but I have a couple of questions about switches.

What I would like: More or less standard tenkeyless keyboard with 16 mm key pitch. Backlighting a plus.

1. Cherry MX seem popular, however the specs say they are 15.6 mm across. So they would only be separated by .4 mm for a 16 mm keyboard. Is .4 mm too close? It certainly seems too close for mounting them on a plate, so I imagine I would have to PCB-mount them.

2. So I am leaning toward Cherry ML (11.2 mm x 12 mm). I haven't found anything else that size- am I missing a possibility?

3. I would also be very interested to hear about any 16 mm pitch keyboards anyone knows of that are currently being sold (US).

chzel

08 Jul 2015, 08:46

PCB mounted MX should be fine, the real problem is the caps.

Silver

08 Jul 2015, 09:14

Thanks! I am thinking to 3D print the keycaps. If I did my back of the envelope correctly, it'd be pricy but not beyond the realm of reason. That's the other thing I wondered about though- Would they have to be a strange shape (i.e., really flat) with the MX, to keep from hitting the switch?

Return to “Workshop”