And... this is the next one 60% mini keyboard; happy hacking replica

kbdcraft

20 Jun 2015, 17:42

chanlol wrote: This 60 mini is great. But Plz start the LK-1800fe as soon as possible. I can't wait!
Maybe 3 weeks later... I'll start GB for LK-1800fe.
I have to finish to get PG certification from PG company.
I'll try... thank you. :)

SL89

20 Jun 2015, 17:54

Is there a link to the LK-1800 somewhere, I cant find it.

chanlol

20 Jun 2015, 18:08

SL89 wrote: Is there a link to the LK-1800 somewhere, I cant find it.
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/her ... 10849.html :lol:

CommonCurt

01 Jul 2015, 07:39

This looks great :)
Depending on the price, I'd be interested in the normal 60% mini (non-HHKB) version.

photekq
Cherry Picker

01 Jul 2015, 07:57

Amazing work kbdcraft! :mrgreen:

I think it would look better without the brass logo & engraving on the top, but that's just my opinion :)

Khers

01 Jul 2015, 08:01

photekq wrote: Amazing work kbdcraft! :mrgreen:

I think it would look better without the brass logo & engraving on the top, but that's just my opinion :)
I tend to agree. A cleaner top is a better top, but it looks pretty neat regardless

CommonCurt

01 Jul 2015, 08:05

photekq wrote: Amazing work kbdcraft! :mrgreen:
I agree also.

byker

01 Jul 2015, 09:19

I am interested in a hhkb layout version, and would also prefer no logo on top!

Daphen

18 Jul 2015, 22:20

Hi, I'm new here. Would it be possible to buy just the case and put an HHKB in it? Would it fit? :)

Muirium
µ

19 Jul 2015, 03:35

Nope. USB port is in the wrong location, just for a start. The HHKB also has a two port USB hub and dip switches on the back. So you can tell pretty easily this case is not intended for the real HHKB.

Metal HHKB cases would be a hot idea, however.

Britney Spears

19 Jul 2015, 07:47

Muirium wrote: Metal HHKB cases would be a hot idea, however.
There are people working on this as well.

Muirium
µ

19 Jul 2015, 12:31

I click in the hope of pics, but all I see is butt ugly avatars.

Um, keep us appraised! kbdcraft's case in this thread will be hard to match. It's a fantastic style that I too would really like to make worthwhile by putting something better than MX inside.

Britney Spears

19 Jul 2015, 20:22

Muirium wrote: I click in the hope of pics, but all I see is butt ugly avatars.

Um, keep us appraised! kbdcraft's case in this thread will be hard to match. It's a fantastic style that I too would really like to make worthwhile by putting something better than MX inside.
Yeah, I know, GeekHack is not exactly pleasing to the eye. I prefer the more sober Deskthority style.
And I doubt that a HHKB would actually benefit from an aluminum case. It might improve the look of the HHKB a bit as the original plastic case does look a bit cheap (especially considering the price) but the typing experience itself might even be compromised by the aluminum case. The combination of aluminum case and plate mounted switches for example add certain harshness to the typing experience on my Poker II, while the slight flex of the HHKB case actually improves it. But of course this is just my personal theory.

Muirium
µ

19 Jul 2015, 21:04

Very true. I like the HHKB's feel a lot, too. More so than the Realforce. The HHKB's plastic case plays a part in that. I should remember to take mine apart sometime so I actually know what I'm talking about!

Anyway, with Matteo's PBT spacebars coming along now, I'm intrigued by the idea of a yellowing resistant HHKB (that isn't just the black model). Guess I'd better ask 002 what the white case materials are in the HHKB and Realforce…

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

22 Jul 2015, 07:35

HHKB doesn't need a heavy alu case, it's perfect the way it is.
And MX switches are not that bad ;) I like the stuff, with the right tunning you can get some great typing experience

mj45

22 Jul 2015, 15:02

@Muirium, HHKB's and Realforce cases are ABS plastic. It has ABS molded on the inside of the cases. I think ABS is a more durable case material (but yellows). PBT is nice but it is a more brittle type of plastic.

Muirium
µ

22 Jul 2015, 21:21

Yup. 002 said so too. Pity, because if there's something I really loathe it is yellowed plastic! Even up here 56ºN in Scotland, plenty of ABS turns yellow. I'm spoiled by the polycarbonate cases of my IBMs, which are just as UV resistant as their 100% PBT caps. ABS is a fine enough material besides that one crucial flaw!

_PixelNinja

22 Jul 2015, 22:11

A nice polycarbonate casing with screws instead of clips for the front of the chassis would be real sweet for the HHKB. That, and big rubber feet where they should be — my pet peeve with the HHKB.

Muirium
µ

22 Jul 2015, 22:15

Aye, the Realforce sits better than the HHKB. I like the wee guy's doubled up legs, but the plastic nubs at the front aren't really up to much. And I always use my keyboards flat anyway!

Trouble is, the HHKB is actually built into its case, right? The top side acts as a plastic plate. Instead of just being an internal assembly that can be trivially removed.

_PixelNinja

22 Jul 2015, 22:18

Indeed. That is why I have always wondered what the plan would have been with the aluminum case projects, since the switch housings are not like those on the Realforce, Leopold Mini or Novatouch; they are integral to the HHKB's top casing.

And yeah, I like the HHKB's double raisers, even though I use my keyboards flat too. I wish they were build sturdier though. When you flip them sometimes it sounds as if they are going to snap.
Last edited by _PixelNinja on 22 Jul 2015, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

22 Jul 2015, 22:19

I've been using my HHKB too much to dare take it apart yet. But my understanding is the barrels are still detachable modules, as they are on other Topre boards. The difference is the case is the plate. So a replacement case is still feasible, albeit more challenging.

_PixelNinja

22 Jul 2015, 22:30

If by barrels you mean the plungers, then yes they are removable. But the housing of the switches are part of the case.

Muirium
µ

22 Jul 2015, 22:39

My bad, you're right:

DT Wiki wrote:The main switch housing is moulded onto the plastic. Only the plunger can be removed, as opposed to the standard Realforce switch, which can be removed completely from the mounting plate.
A replacement case will be a *lot* of work! Ah well.

_PixelNinja

22 Jul 2015, 22:45

Mistakemistake's project planned to integrate them into the design of the casing. What I wonder with such a design would be the potential wear endured by the plastic plungers rubbing against an aluminum housing over time.

Muirium
µ

22 Jul 2015, 23:05

Very true. Switches seem to be such simple things, but it's details like this - what material rubs against what else - that really do make the difference. An HHKB case doesn't only have to be full of tightly toleranced barrels, but they have to be lined right.

Hmm… the way I'd do it is to deviate from the HHKB's design and integrate my own ABS barrels instead. It works on the Realforce.

In fact, the HHKB's integrated design is clearly aimed at saving weight. Something a metal case is definitely not about! Going the Realforce route makes a lot of sense in that case. Although you're getting so into custom components that I start to wonder if it makes sense to drop the need to buy a parts HHKB in the first place and instead source domes and go completely wild. Forget the USB hub. Start thinking Bluetooth…

_PixelNinja

22 Jul 2015, 23:09

That would be a job for...

Super Matt3o!

chanlol

20 Nov 2015, 07:31

Any update about this project?

Return to “Keyboards”