[IC] Aluminum top case for Novatouch and Rapid-i

c137

08 Jul 2015, 20:29

Hi there!

The idea has been around some time on the ComputerBase.de forum... so today we (the crew from the German community blog "Mecha-Blog.de" on mechanical keyboards) started an interest check: https://www.mecha-blog.de/interest-check-aluoberseite/
It is about aluminum top cases for the CoolerMaster Novatouch and Rapid-i.

We already found a potential manufacturer in Germany with appropriate CNC equipment. An original Novatouch top case has already been laser scanned and the CAD is being worked on. More information can be found on the blog page.
So here is our plan: instead of the plastic top case we want to create one from aluminum, which would be compatible with the Novatouch and the Rapid-i.
On both keyboards that new case would mean all-aluminum clad top, front, left and right side plus a large section on the back. The bottom would stay as it is.
The original part has already been laser-scanned, the CAD is in the works and a potential manufacturer with the proper CNC equipment in Germany has been found.
It won't be really cheap as quality is never cheap. However, we anticipate it to be less expensive than other case group buys, as only a top case is made instead of two parts. Worldwide shipping is actually possible per se, but as you certainly know that can get a little expensive itself.
So, who would be interested?

Feel free to ask away. You are very welcome to comment on the Mecha-Blog.de site ;)

kvad

26 Jul 2015, 19:19

I've been lurking around for a Novatouch for a long time, but always wanted a different case - so this sound like something right up my alley!

Will you have any preliminary renders to show? Would love a case with a cleaner aesthetic than the current plastic one (i.e. get rid of those 45 degree angles).

Only redoing the top part of the case, how will that impact it's sturdiness and sound?

Muirium
µ

26 Jul 2015, 19:28

I'm interested too. Again for the NovaTouch. Let us know how the prototype works out. Far as I know, the case snaps together right? So inflexible metal could be an awkward fit.

TheNacho
delicious.

28 Jul 2015, 16:27

That would make my Novatouch even more badass. Call me interested

c137

01 Aug 2015, 10:47

Muirium wrote: Far as I know, the case snaps together right?
Yes it does, but IMO only because of those small clips on the upper case. Leaving them away and using "only" the 4 screws was our idea (also simplifies production a bit).

I'll post pictures and some words about the prototype as soon as there is one ;)

c137

01 Aug 2015, 10:49

kvad wrote: Only redoing the top part of the case, how will that impact it's sturdiness and sound?
Sturdiness certainly won't get worse. Sound can only be told from the prototype. I will make a video.

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2015, 13:35

Sound could be an issue. My metal boards are crazy loud, in a good way because they're IBMs. But the NovaTouch is the loudest of all Topre boards as standard. Could use a good set of Hyper's silencing rings.

Keen to see the fit you achieve without those pesky clips.

modology

02 Aug 2015, 05:17

I'm interested in one as well. Has been always want to replace the cheap plastic case with heavier duty case.

tlt

02 Aug 2015, 14:35

I might be interested in this if it turns out good. Im looking forward to photos of the prototype.

phinix

18 Aug 2016, 20:24

So what happened to this idea?

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

18 Aug 2016, 22:08

If you're interested in a CNC'd Novatouch case, norbauer on GH is working on that for some time now and the group buy should happen pretty soon now: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80317.0;topicseen

phinix

25 Aug 2016, 21:56

I know, I've seen it. But it too expensive, compared to for example Leopold 660 aluminum case for $99 that went up on Massdrop.

Return to “Group buys”