July 29th Windows 10!

Halvar

29 Jul 2015, 12:51

002 wrote:
Halvar wrote: This is only for reinstalling on a system where Windows 10 was activated before, or if you have a license key. Otherwise you won't be able to activate.
There's a discussion on it here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... me/ctjyb2t

Seems you should be able to use the created media to upgrade in place, then fresh install if you so please.
Yes, I guess so. As far as I understood, seebart asked if he could just download the ISO and install Windows without an earlier Windows installation to upgrade from.

Topre Enthusiast

29 Jul 2015, 12:54

Oh, right -- I misunderstood. I would definitely not expect Microsoft to be giving away *true* freebies :)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 Jul 2015, 12:56

No I meant with my Windows 7 key. The way I understand it that should work.
Last edited by seebart on 29 Jul 2015, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjoy

29 Jul 2015, 12:58

seebart wrote: No I meant with my Windows 7 key. The way I understannd it that should work.

So you you just activate it with your win7 key or do you need to wiat for your free upgrade and get a new key.

seebart

29 Jul 2015, 13:00

I don't know and was not planning on upgrading right now anyway.

andrewjoy

29 Jul 2015, 13:02

will try it when i get home , as my genuine win7 key is there, we have Volume licence in work.

EDIT

apparently you can force it to bypass the staggered rollout

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/how-t ... ate-files/

HzFaq

29 Jul 2015, 13:04

Hopefully you can use your Win7 key...I got one a few weeks ago for cheap and I'm looking to upgrade to 10 from Vista (finally, shut up :D) but I need to wait for my new SSD to come next week.

andrewjoy

29 Jul 2015, 13:08

Apparently not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... ows_os_to/

My plan is to update my current PC extract the key then reinstall on another.

OR i may quickly throw 7 on it do an update then reinstall as i think its tied to the hardware and i CBA contacting MS

bhtooefr

29 Jul 2015, 19:50

And now for the adventure that is trying to get it going on day one on a WIMBoot tablet with 16 GiB of SSD.

GWX didn't offer it right away (not enough free space on C:)
Manually built a thumb drive on another machine, it failed to install almost right away due to insufficient space
Couldn't boot the thumb drive off of Micro-USB, just full-size USB, but there's no touchscreen drivers slipstreamed in, so I needed a hub
Tried through a hub (on a Dell 2001FP), performance was dreadful (I think this thumbdrive and that hub didn't get along)
Tried through another hub (on some horrible Dell rubber dome keyboard I had lying around at work), it didn't provide enough power for the drive, and Windows noted that the drive disappeared when it enumerated it, and asked for storage drivers
Disabled swap and hibernation to free up some space, used the thumb drive to try to install it, got a license key validation error
Tried to use the Media Creation Tool from within Win8, the download hangs at 0%

I think I'm going to try building another thumb drive (this time booting my Mac directly into Windows to make it, and using a different drive), and getting a powered USB hub.

seebart

29 Jul 2015, 20:01

Hmm conclusion for me from your adventure bhtooefr: no update for me anytime soon! :(

Halvar

29 Jul 2015, 23:26

A 16 GiB system drive is a special case I guess.

scottc

29 Jul 2015, 23:32

I don't know bhtooefr, these almost all seem like problems with your very specific use case. Not everyone has a cheapo Windows tablet lying around!

Halvar

29 Jul 2015, 23:56

BTW, my preview installation was activated permanently today after I quit the Windows Insider program. I found the same information from other people on the web. Looks like I won't have to reinstall the old Windows 7 on that machine after all which would really have sucked.

bhtooefr

30 Jul 2015, 02:51

Yeah, it's a very specific use case, I'm not denying that at all... but these are machines you can go into a store and buy, today.

Just saying that you can have nasty issues.

Hak Foo

30 Jul 2015, 07:51

The 16Gb tablet use case is sickeningly common. They sell a lot of sub-USD150 tablets that way. I recall when they first started marketing Win8 tablets, the reviews were "Spring for the 64Gb model, it's so worth it"... and that was comparing with the 32Gb default model.

seebart

30 Jul 2015, 09:30

I can confirm this works. At least the download part works and I checked the x64 Pro ISO hash with two different tools. It's the real deal. I have not installed yet.

Fun little news on the side; apparently the W10 start menu cannot handle more than 512 entries at this time.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/29 ... 2_entries/

Topre Enthusiast

30 Jul 2015, 10:04

Oh right, I probably should have followed up :D
I downloaded and built installation media for the 64-bit Pro version and successfully did upgrades of all my machines with it. So far so good.

Biggest gripe so far is actually with OneDrive. They removed the context menu options allowing you to make folders online-only or make files available offline. So now you can only sync everything or nothing...that really shits me. I liked being able to see my files without having to log on to OneDrive :(

seebart

30 Jul 2015, 10:06

Yeah there are a lot of changes. For the better? I do not know. I am still not upgrading at this time.

andrewjoy

30 Jul 2015, 10:22

002 wrote: Oh right, I probably should have followed up :D
I downloaded and built installation media for the 64-bit Pro version and successfully did upgrades of all my machines with it. So far so good.

Biggest gripe so far is actually with OneDrive. They removed the context menu options allowing you to make folders online-only or make files available offline. So now you can only sync everything or nothing...that really shits me. I liked being able to see my files without having to log on to OneDrive :(

so if you have a valid win7/8.1 you can download the ISO and install it over the top ?

andrewjoy

30 Jul 2015, 10:24

002 wrote: Oh right, I probably should have followed up :D

so if you have a valid win7/8.1 you can download the ISO and install it over the top ?

Also

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

your welcome , or

http://www.classicshell.net/

i miss just pressing start and then typing what i want ( equivalent of command space on mac)

Both bring it back but start 10 is closer to win7 menu than clasicshell

seebart

30 Jul 2015, 10:25

andrewjoy wrote:
002 wrote: so if you have a valid win7/8.1 you can download the ISO and install it over the top ?
As I understand it yes. But like I said I have not installed for other reasons.

andrewjoy

30 Jul 2015, 10:28

seebart wrote:
andrewjoy wrote:
002 wrote: so if you have a valid win7/8.1 you can download the ISO and install it over the top ?
As I understand it yes. But like I said I have not installed for other reasons.
i will give it a go in a VM in work today if i can find a pro copy of 7 with a valid licence :)

i have been trying everything to get the reserv a copy to show up on my VALID windows 7 box at home ever since i fresh installed.

Topre Enthusiast

30 Jul 2015, 10:31

andrewjoy wrote: so if you have a valid win7/8.1 you can download the ISO and install it over the top ?
I don't know about Windows 7 but Win 8.1 is a definite 'yes'.
Just used Belarc Advisor to compare the product key before and after and it has indeed changed, although it still reports as Windows 8.1 but I'm guessing this is because Belarc probably doesn't recognise Win 10 yet.

andrewjoy

30 Jul 2015, 10:37

Good to know , will get on that tonight .

If i am correct , once you have done an upgrade you can fresh install and it will activate via hardware ID. I hope. No reason to waste space on my SSD with old windows 7 guff, its only 512GB. Even if it is fairly quick .
unnamed.png
unnamed.png (54.76 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
Hmm maybe i could install in a ramdisk :)

Khers

30 Jul 2015, 10:47

What SSD is that? PCIe x4 I assume?

andrewjoy

30 Jul 2015, 10:55

samsung SM951.

Make sure you have the PCIe 3.0 lanes for it :)

seebart

30 Jul 2015, 11:05

Ridiculously fast compared to my Toshiba THNSNH256GCST. :o
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (37.22 KiB) Viewed 3398 times

andrewjoy

30 Jul 2015, 11:10

I still feel inadequate if you compare it to the Intel 750 NVME, the larger read write is about the same , but the 4k read write on the intel is insane. It is however quite pricy :P

seebart

30 Jul 2015, 11:13

Well comparing SATA to the PCIe x4 is silly anyway. Next time I build a new PC for myself I'll go for a PCIe SSD.

Muirium
µ

30 Jul 2015, 11:18

There's nothing quite as elegant as drives strewn around, outside your computer. (Goddamn dinky Mac Pro got to that mess first…)

Enjoying these ugly screenshots!

Return to “Off-topic”