Audio Files

Hypersphere

31 Jul 2015, 01:31

If I wished to post some audio recordings of keyboards on DT, which type(s) of audio files are allowed? Thanks.

Edit: If audio files have to be links to a web hosting service for audio, I would welcome suggestions for good web hosting services -- especially free ones. Thanks again.

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2015, 01:46

YouTube's the only one you can embed. YouTube requires video, of course, but iMovie on your Mac can quickly make a slideshow set to your audio recording, using whatever pictures you choose. Like I've done many times in my reviews.
Anything else will be a bare and ugly link.

Hypersphere

31 Jul 2015, 02:25

Excellent, as always, Mu. I will check this out. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the various keyboards when I was making the audio recordings, although I do have images of the audio waveforms.

pyrelink

31 Jul 2015, 02:34

Just out of curiosity, would these happen to be before and after sound tests of your Topre silencing rings? That was the first thing I planned to do when I received mine tomorrow. :D

Also I agree. Just post the audio with some pictures, or text in iMovie and post to YouTube.

Hypersphere

31 Jul 2015, 14:14

Yes, I have audio of a standard HHKB along with audio files of a standard HHKB with rings and a HHKB with both 55g domes and silencing rings. For other comparisons, I've made recordings of several other keyboards, such as an IBM XT, Novatouch, Poker II, and RF87U 55. I will try the recommendations to post to YouTube with links here on DT.

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2015, 15:10

Remember to use the [youtube] tags to embed them when you're done. Hit the quote button on my post above with videos in it, to see how the formatting works. Note: you want the alphanumeric YouTube ID of your videos, rather than the full URL. That trick throws a lot of careless people off!

Chyros

31 Jul 2015, 20:57

Awesome, that sounds very interesting! I'm always curious to hear how keyboards and switches sound, so this should be good :) .

Muirium
µ

31 Jul 2015, 21:22

Then here's a thread for you:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/chr ... t9497.html

I must update my collection. Dropbox is unsuited to this archival work. All my links are dead.

davkol

01 Aug 2015, 11:30

The dependence on YouTube is quite ironic here.

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2015, 12:42

I know. YouTube stinks. But I don't write PHPbb. Life's too short!

I do, however, archive all my files. They can be uploaded to DT if we ever get around to supporting sound and video.

davkol

01 Aug 2015, 12:51

I don't see how Dropbox is any better than Google/YouTube. (I also hate when people link to anything stored at Dropbox, because of loading times.)

Either audio-file attachments get allowed, or they have to be stored at any third party and linked (I prefer Freesound.org then).

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2015, 12:55

Ha, I was just deleting my mention of Dropbox when you posted that!

They also stink. Fine service for personal file syncing. (Though I still loathe them for ditching Tiger after all these years.) Not much good for anything else. Fuckers purged my publicly linked audio recordings just because I moved directories!

Fancy building us embedded sound/video support? I can't code for shit.

davkol

01 Aug 2015, 13:13

I honestly don't see the need. Just link the file. Hardcore users will download it or feed the link to MPlayer or something; the rest has a simple player embedded in the browser.

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2015, 13:18

None of that shit works in Safari on Wikipedia. So even I don't bother putzing around with audio there at all. Download a file? Fuggedaboudit.

Whatever we do needs to be as good or better than the YouTube embeds.

davkol

01 Aug 2015, 13:58

Have you tried contacting Apple's customer service? That's clearly an issue on their side.

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2015, 14:08

Nah. Didn't you hear? Steve died a few years ago. He used to be the point man for email enquiries.

I put the Wikipedia problem down to those guys being open source nazis. Couldn't possibly use industry standard file types. Won't someone please think of the freedom! From actual usability…

Hypersphere

03 Aug 2015, 02:09

I've posted my first audio clips in a new thread:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/aud ... 11269.html

Thanks for all the pointers.

Return to “Keyboards”