BlueBär

03 Jul 2015, 18:37

Why so short?
I like them though.

Muirium
µ

04 Jul 2015, 01:23

sth wrote: playing around with Logic Pro
Cool. Let's share notes. Here's something I made in Logic a while ago, and just threw through iMovie for good measure. Enjoy the clipart!
Appropriately, the music's all clips too. I'm a fuckin' cyberspace mega dj.

pyrelink

04 Jul 2015, 01:30

I think you could make that even better by adding a lot more jet and car fly by sounds. Those were my favorite parts.

Muirium
µ

04 Jul 2015, 01:33

Let me tell you: everywhere you went in the 90s, there were bloody jets and racing cars screaming right beside you. It was our generation's answer to the 80s obsession with the looming helicopter.

Damn, I forgot the mandatory dialup modem noise.

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Jul 2015, 01:46

Needs more fire.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

06 Jul 2015, 20:22

Muirium wrote:
sth wrote: playing around with Logic Pro
Cool. Let's share notes. Here's something I made in Logic a while ago, and just threw through iMovie for good measure. Enjoy the clipart!
Appropriately, the music's all clips too. I'm a fuckin' cyberspace mega dj.
needs more :maverick:

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

11 Jul 2015, 21:40

"I love all creatures like gophers and deerts, and those things that fly and everything else, but fuck seagulls. I got no time for those cocksuckers."

Muirium
µ

12 Jul 2015, 16:07

Also pigeons.

Nematodes, fleas, leeches, tapeworms, and all parasitical kind are bad news too. But only pigeons will shit all over your well earned statue. Disrespectful fuckers!

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 Aug 2015, 10:53

i went to america 8-)

now im back at work :x

dang :maverick:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

04 Aug 2015, 11:17

sth wrote: i went to america 8-)
How was it? :P

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2015, 13:13

Depends which one. I hear Rio's pretty cool.

seebart

04 Aug 2015, 13:17

Muirium wrote: Depends which one. I hear Rio's pretty cool.
True, I have yet to visit.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 Aug 2015, 15:05

if i hear this one more time im gonna kick someone in the butthole :maverick:

this is the dumbest thing every non-USA-american thinks is clever. nobody refers to the americas by their continental names, and USA is the only country with america in it's name (if i am wrong please let me know but also consider that a testament to the notability and not JUST my own ignorance).

people argue that it's imperialistic to call the USA 'America' but most of those people don't actually use the full name of their own continent (north american or south american) when making that point so it's still ambiguous, not to mention NA and SA are pretty different so it's kinda like saying norway is the same as zimbabwe, or korea... and norway is connected to korea by more land than canada is to argentina. in fact, europe as a continent is even more questionable than NA/SA (being separated by a man-made canal and some rivers is more separated than sociopolitical borders, physically speaking).

united states is just as ambiguous because mexico is ALSO the united states and i'm not going to say united states of america out loud because it's too frickin long. nobody casually refers to NL as the kingdom of the netherlands but dutch people LOVE to get on my case about that shit... and apparently the scots do too :lol:

that said, it was great, i had a wonderful time, got to see family and friends and played tons of pinball 8-)

davkol

04 Aug 2015, 15:12

TIL Ural Mountains, Black Sea and Mediterranian Sea are man-made. Must. Learn. More. Geography. From 'murricans.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 Aug 2015, 15:16

davkol wrote: TIL Ural Mountains, Black Sea and Mediterranian Sea are man-made. Must. Learn. More. Geography. From 'murricans.

mountains are not a continental divider, they're just tall and lots of europeans just didnt like russians and brown people when they made the distinction

cant say much has changed about that last part but it's the same in america too :oops:
Last edited by sth on 04 Aug 2015, 15:20, edited 3 times in total.

SL89

04 Aug 2015, 15:18

davkol wrote: TIL Ural Mountains, Black Sea and Mediterranian Sea are man-made. Must. Learn. More. Geography. From 'murricans.
By that logic even North America is 3 continents. East of the Appalachians, the center, and west of the Rockies. :lol:

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 Aug 2015, 15:27

in other news... AMERICAN friends: i have like 100 or so in amazon gift credit but i cant really use. if you want something on amazon, let me know and i can buy it for you and you can paypal me the cost???

chzel

04 Aug 2015, 15:29

C'mon sth, America (or Americas) refers to the continent(s). A Chilean is an American as much as a Canadian is. You can't claim ownership of the name just because you couldn't come up with a better name than United States of America!
At least the Mexicans have the decency to call themselves United Mexican States, not United Latin American States...
It's like the Brits deciding to call themselves United Kingdom of Europe and expect everyone to refer to them and only them as Europeans.
Nonsense.

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2015, 15:32

sth wrote: if i hear this one more time im gonna kick someone in the butthole :maverick:
Just doing my Canadian impression. They're the ones who insist on "North America"… suckas! Beware though, I'm not a good enough actor to restrain the instinct to kick back, with interest. Those Canadianians are hardcore passive. I cannae handle it!

chzel

04 Aug 2015, 15:35

sth wrote:

mountains are not a continental divider, they're just tall and lots of europeans just didnt like russians and brown people when they made the distinction

cant say much has changed about that last part but it's the same in america too :oops:
Well, that distinction holds for ~2500 years. Where were the United States 2500 years ago? or even 250 years ago? Perhaps still in Europe?

davkol

04 Aug 2015, 15:42

Yeah, let's mix up tectonic plates, (super)continents and racial agenda a bit more…

seebart

04 Aug 2015, 15:44

sth wrote:
if i hear this one more time im gonna kick someone in the butthole :maverick:
:o you gonna kick scotty's butt... :lol:
Muirium wrote:
sth wrote: Just doing my Canadian impression.
A Canadian is a yank without a gun. Too bad our main Canadian isn't here right now. :mrgreen:
Last edited by seebart on 04 Aug 2015, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 Aug 2015, 15:46

chzel wrote: C'mon sth, America (or Americas) refers to the continent(s). A Chilean is an American as much as a Canadian is. You can't claim ownership of the name just because you couldn't come up with a better name than United States of America!
At least the Mexicans have the decency to call themselves United Mexican States, not United Latin American States...
It's like the Brits deciding to call themselves United Kingdom of Europe and expect everyone to refer to them and only them as Europeans.
Nonsense.
ok then by that logic all europeans should probably start identifying as eurasians right? how about we don't define our identities based on enormous land masses that mean nothing on an individual or societal level? inuits are not zapotec, han chinese are not basques. but those groups all share the same physical continents, more or less. or we could just not get mad about people using a subset of their own country's name to refer to their country? 8-)

nobody in america cares if a chilean person calls themselves american, but approximately 320 million people are going to hold a different understanding of that definition and that is nontrivial no matter your opinion of american arrogance -- the USA is the third most populous nation in the world.

and yeah, united states of america is a stupid name but good luck changing it now :lol:

also the US had tons of people 2500 years ago, they weren't european and we white americans are still insanely ignorant about a lot of that history (myself emphatically included). my home state only just last year finally adopted a much more comprehensive native history education curriculum. not hopeful for a lot of the rest of the country though....
davkol wrote: Yeah, let's mix up tectonic plates, (super)continents and racial agenda a bit more…
go for it
Last edited by sth on 04 Aug 2015, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 Aug 2015, 15:48

oops dubble bubble
Last edited by sth on 04 Aug 2015, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

04 Aug 2015, 15:49

Look it's called "The Americas"...I wonder why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 Aug 2015, 15:51

seebart wrote: Look it's called "The Americas"...I wonder why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States
"America" redirects here. For the landmass comprising North and South America, see the Americas. For other uses, see America (disambiguation), US (disambiguation), USA (disambiguation) and United States (disambiguation).

The United States of America (USA), commonly referred to as the United States (U.S.) or America, is a federal republic[16][17] consisting of 50 states and a federal district.

seebart

04 Aug 2015, 15:53

OK fine. What about North America, middle America, south America and latin America.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 Aug 2015, 15:55

i am the last person to defend america in so many respects but this is just an issue of pragmatism at this point. if europeans need to harp on this fact to hold on to some sense of superiority, i will let you have that. i am also totally willing to entertain arguments from south americans/non USA north americans and i think a lot of the arguments for the disambiguation of "america" are valid. that said, i am a lot more reasonable than many of my fellow americans and there are a lot of other things you could criticize the USA for besides shortening the country's name.

seebart

04 Aug 2015, 16:00

We all know shorter names are easier in more than one respect. That's why "usa" or "us" is so brilliant. Can't do that with germany or holland. Kraut? Oranje? No good.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 Aug 2015, 16:02

seebart wrote: OK fine. What about North America, middle America, south America and latin America.
currently you have north and south america to describe the larger landmasses. middle america is mostly used within the US to describe the midwest and maybe great plains. latin america encompases basically everything south of the US border all the way through to south america. then you have central america which describes most of the north american countries south of mexico. middle america, outside of the US, is probably also used to describe north america south of the US border but it's not too common at least within the US.

Return to “Off-topic”