The wiki thread

Daniel Beardsmore

26 Sep 2013, 01:38

Something I'm noticing — even the Japanese collectors are now referencing our wiki. I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a Japanese equivalent to it, but so far nothing has led me to encounter anything comparable. GeekHack's wiki is a complete write-off :)

Still needs more photos though …

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Sep 2013, 01:43

Lots of hits from Korea now... wiki is becoming standard reference for kbdmania and such.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Sep 2013, 01:50

Also the wiki spawned our most famous albeit inactive member.
https://plus.google.com/108967323530519 ... LJZcK6vaBR

Daniel Beardsmore

06 Oct 2013, 01:05

webwit wrote:Lots of hits from Korea now... wiki is becoming standard reference for kbdmania and such.
Maybe they'd be willing to donate some photos to our wiki, then, for example these fantastic NMB Hi-Tek photos:

http://www1.kbdmania.net/xe/review/1283663

(Preferably the original full-size files :)

Daniel Beardsmore

27 Jul 2014, 01:11

BTW, when new users sign up, why does their username get mangled in MediaWiki? It's always bugged me that my wiki username is incorrectly capitalised, and anyone else whose username is not all lowercase gets a messed-up wiki name. I understand that wiki usernames may need to start with a capital letter, due to MediaWiki's own idiocy (I have no idea why pages have to start with a capital letter in MediaWiki, but "due to technical restrictions" anyone with an all-lowercase username gets theirs broken in a different way), but I don't know why every other letter is forced into lowercase.

(The forced lowercase is not a limitation of MediaWiki that I can see — certainly Wikipedia doesn't display this restriction, looking at their own recent changes list.)

7bit

05 Aug 2014, 07:49

Hey Daniel! What did you upload that the wiki is broken now?
:o

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Aug 2014, 09:05

Looking into it. Db and file system look ok on first sight.

EDIT: fixed. It was a WHM/Cpanel update bug.

Findecanor

10 Aug 2015, 20:53

I'm too lazy to create a new thread, so ...

I have traced the force/travel graphs of four Cherry MX switches from datasheets into the same diagram and uploaded here.
That image has only the downstrokes of Black, Red, Blue, Brown and Clear Cherry MX switches, but I have traced also the upstrokes.
I have also uploaded a comparative diagram for Clear and Brown.

I made it in The Gimp, with each up/downstroke, numbers and grid in separate layers. Unfortunately, neither the Wiki nor the forum allows Gimp's XCF format to be uploaded. If anybody wants the XCF file for making another diagram on the Wiki, do send me a PM with your email address!

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

30 Aug 2015, 23:28

updated triumph adler wiki
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Triumph-Adler
first time I worked on the wiki, have someone hints or suggestions for me?

Muirium
µ

01 Oct 2015, 23:39

Everyone's seen this great old picture, right?

I was referencing it just now, but it took me ages to find! Google Images > Geekhack > Imgur. Yet it has our logo on it? Is it in the wiki? I'd like the M8 page to include it. Would have saved me several minutes!

chzel

01 Oct 2015, 23:44

Muirium
µ

01 Oct 2015, 23:47

Nice! I don't like relying on external hosts like Imgur for stuff when we don't need to. As a Deskthority founder, I'm sure Sixty would be cool with his photos hosted here, on the wiki, given he already watermarked them as such!

chzel

02 Oct 2015, 00:06

Muirium wrote: Nice! I don't like relying on external hosts like Imgur for stuff when we don't need to. As a Deskthority founder, I'm sure Sixty would be cool with his photos hosted here, on the wiki, given he already watermarked them as such!
http://deskthority.net/post38093.html#p38093

There are a couple of these caps in that post, and
The end. As always, feel free to use any pictures in reposts/translations on KBC, KBDMania, Geekhack or OTD.
I hope DT is implied?

Findecanor

08 Oct 2016, 09:55

I am rearranging Category:Hacker keyboards into a category of categories.
Right now it contains some keyboards with Unix layout, DIY projects, kit keyboards, the Knight and Space Cadet keyboards and a user's personal project.

- Make Category:Keyboards with Unix layout a subcategory of Hacker keyboards
- Create new categories "Kit keyboards" and "Unique keyboards", as subcategories.
- Make "Lisp keyboards" a subcategory.

Findecanor

08 Oct 2016, 11:32

I came across something in the Wiki that made me laugh out loud: Keyboard Layouts#The QWERTY layout (1873).
Instead of improving on typewriter mechanics (which happened anyway later on), a man named Cristopher Sholes – widely suspected to be Satan – opted to rearrange the layout so as to make it less likely you'll hit two keys next to each other.
Whoever wrote this... That's seriously unprofessional, dude! :lol:

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Oct 2016, 12:06

Findecanor

10 Oct 2016, 21:09

Anyway... I have broken out QWERTY into a separate article. I have written a bit about the pre-history of QWERTY based on Yasuoka (2011) but it might be a bit biased, needs more sources and it is incomplete: completely omitting two other people who could have been influential. Maybe some modern history (relationship with ASCII, standardisation of domestic layouts,etc.). It needs also more analysis and criticism. But most of all, it needs images in the form of diagrams.
I intend to do the same for Dvorak later.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

10 Nov 2016, 18:16

I am considering writing wiki articles about families of keyboard kits with own PCB like:

- Winkeyless.kr
- GON keyboard works
- Leeku
- Duck
- Satan
- Whitefox

My impression, the wiki is not very up to date with important modern retail/kit keyboards. There is no article on the Pok3r and the Whitefox for example.

Important information that I would like to include in these articles include photos and short background about the µC used and the programming/flashing capabilities and tools used. There's such a huge variety of firmwares and flashing/programming tools that I though it made sense to add this to the wiki.

Thumper
knock knock

10 Nov 2016, 20:56

Wodan wrote:I am considering writing wiki articles about families of keyboard kits with own PCB like:

- Winkeyless.kr
- GON keyboard works
- Leeku
- Duck
- Satan
- Whitefox

My impression, the wiki is not very up to date with important modern retail/kit keyboards. There is no article on the Pok3r and the Whitefox for example.

Important information that I would like to include in these articles include photos and short background about the µC used and the programming/flashing capabilities and tools used. There's such a huge variety of firmwares and flashing/programming tools that I though it made sense to add this to the wiki.
I can add some stuff to wkl.kr as I had some boards of them for a longer time. Just hit me up on irc and I'll try my best.

Findecanor

11 Nov 2016, 01:43

There is scattered info on some of those here and there. It could certainly need some structure.

Some from the top of my head (some of which I have added): Category:Kit keyboards, GON's KeyboardWorks, Table of PCBs, Category:Enthusiast vendors.Converting NerD60 to TMK

Wodan
ISO Advocate

14 Nov 2016, 09:35

Findecanor wrote: There is scattered info on some of those here and there. It could certainly need some structure.

Some from the top of my head (some of which I have added): Category:Kit keyboards, GON's KeyboardWorks, Table of PCBs, Category:Enthusiast vendors.Converting NerD60 to TMK
Thanks I wasn't aware of those! I hope you don't mind if I extend some of the tables/articles you started. I would also like to create or extend the articles related to TIPRO. We have some of the WORLDS GREATEST TIPRO experts among us and should really milk their brains and churn it into wiki-butter!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

14 Nov 2016, 11:05

Wodan wrote: I would also like to create or extend the articles related to TIPRO
I'll be happy to contribute - starting next year :?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

14 Nov 2016, 13:51

kbdfr wrote: I'll be happy to contribute - starting next year :?
I inisist :)

Added the attribute "stabiliser" to the keyboard infobox. Though that was an important information.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

29 Nov 2016, 14:05

I have to find the time to extend a little the NerD60 article, cover also the default programmer and document some of the PCB editions, some are in my collection.

Findecanor

18 Jul 2017, 18:13

I had created categories "Backlit switches" and "RGB switches." some time ago.
Daniel Beardsmore had later introduced the categories "Illuminated switches" (designed for) and "Illuminable switches" (optional), which was a split of "Backlit switches".

I now deprecated "Backlit switches", movings its contents to "Illuminable switches" and "RGB switches", making the latter a subcategory of "Illuminable switches".
The "RGB switches" category should maybe be renamed to "RGB-illuminable switches".
Switches capable of RGB illumination are also no longer categorised as both "RGB" and "Backlit".

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

18 Jul 2017, 18:16

Just contributed my first article to the wiki, here it is.

wiki/Cherry_G80-3314

Constructive criticism is welcome.

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Jul 2017, 19:12

There is a category [wiki]Category:Clones of the DEC LK201[/wiki] that currently just holds stuff that looks like an LK201, rather than keyboards proven to be interchangeable (which is another consideration of its own). Curiously there are three more LK201-like Cherry keyboards that are already in that category. I guess your page can go into that category for now.

(In terms of keyboard clones, I guess the protocol of the keyboard is less important than the protocol of the terminal it connects to, since it's the terminal that's the clone rather than the keyboard itself, but this is debatable.)

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

18 Jul 2017, 19:41

Alright, added another wiki entry on some of my obscure keyboards.

wiki/Cherry_G80-0693

again, constructive criticism is encouraged.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

18 Jul 2017, 19:42

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: There is a category [wiki]Category:Clones of the DEC LK201[/wiki] that currently just holds stuff that looks like an LK201, rather than keyboards proven to be interchangeable (which is another consideration of its own). Curiously there are three more LK201-like Cherry keyboards that are already in that category. I guess your page can go into that category for now.

(In terms of keyboard clones, I guess the protocol of the keyboard is less important than the protocol of the terminal it connects to, since it's the terminal that's the clone rather than the keyboard itself, but this is debatable.)
Hmmm, I had never seen that category before. I am new to doing this wiki stuff and don't really know how to place a board in a particular category.

Findecanor

18 Jul 2017, 22:35

mike52787 wrote: wiki/Cherry_G80-3314
mike52787 wrote: wiki/Cherry_G80-0693
I added categories to your edits. If you want to see what I did, click "View history" and press "Compare selected revisions".
The convention is to put categories at the end - which is close to where they will be visible on the final page.

I found the categories simply by looking around at pages I could find of similar keyboards and chose those that fit. There is no magic around that. :)
Maybe there may be other categories that they would fit into.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”