Quark keyboard - 40% staggered layout that fits all Planck cases

wscarlton

15 Apr 2015, 20:22

Metal top plates for the Quark are now available at Ortholinearkeyboards.com.

Taking inspiration from the Planck (40% grid keyboard), I wanted to make a small keyboard that was also staggered. My first attempt was a 35% layout, which I originally posted to /r/mechanicalkeyboards. and then also here at Deskthority. There was enough interest over at /r/MK that I followed up with an interest check survey and then partnered with Jack over at Ortholinear Keyboards in order to produce the mounting plates for the Quark. The Quark is essentially an improved version of my 35% DIY project.

Quark Keyboard Layout

At 12 columns x 4 rows, the 40% footprint is the same as the Planck keyboard. Also, all of the modifier keys are standard sizes (1.25U and 1.5U) and the spacebar on the Quark (2.75U) is the same size as most right shift keys, so it shouldn't be difficult to reuse or find keycaps for this board.

Quark Top Plate

The metal top plates for the Quark will fit on all of the Planck cases and bottoms available at Ortholinearkeyboards.com. Another cool feature of this mounting plate is that it fits both Cherry MX and Alps/Matias switches. This also allows for the removal of the top part of Cherry MX keyswitches (i.e. disassembly).

Orders are being placed now (direct link). It will take some time to produce the plates and ship them, but I think the current ETA is mid-May (need to check on this).

So, what do you think?

RoastPotatoes

15 Apr 2015, 22:01

I do quite like this layout. But I am not yet convinced on the viability of 40% boards.

wscarlton

15 Apr 2015, 22:45

RoastPotatoes wrote: I do quite like this layout. But I am not yet convinced on the viability of 40% boards.
They're definitely a unique niche. I'm so used to the full-sized ANSI board that transitioning to any other layout has been a challenge just in remembering where things are. But therein lies the nice thing about custom layouts - you can modify it to your needs. What you lose in familiarity you gain in desk space and reduced finger/hand movement.

sphinx
Major Bummer

16 Apr 2015, 16:51

i wanted to buy this but shipping is too expensive to Portugal.. Is there any way to order this in Europe or with a less expensive shipping solution?

jackhumbert

16 Apr 2015, 17:13

sphinx wrote: i wanted to buy this but shipping is too expensive to Portugal.. Is there any way to order this in Europe or with a less expensive shipping solution?
What all are you interested in buying? If it's just plates/cases and no switches/keycaps, I can probably reduce it to 15USD - shoot me an email after checkout and I'll refund you right away!

sphinx
Major Bummer

16 Apr 2015, 18:06

jackhumbert wrote:
sphinx wrote: i wanted to buy this but shipping is too expensive to Portugal.. Is there any way to order this in Europe or with a less expensive shipping solution?
What all are you interested in buying? If it's just plates/cases and no switches/keycaps, I can probably reduce it to 15USD - shoot me an email after checkout and I'll refund you right away!
I'm interested in the planck formed bottom and the quark top plate, with the 10mm assembly kit, assuming everything is compatible..

jackhumbert

16 Apr 2015, 18:34

sphinx wrote:
jackhumbert wrote:
I'm interested in the planck formed bottom and the quark top plate, with the 10mm assembly kit, assuming everything is compatible..
Yeap! All of that is compatible. I could ship that for $15 - I can refund you the difference after checkout (I'm still working on using a coupon code/option for that)!

RoastPotatoes

16 Apr 2015, 20:13

wscarlton wrote:
They're definitely a unique niche. I'm so used to the full-sized ANSI board that transitioning to any other layout has been a challenge just in remembering where things are. But therein lies the nice thing about custom layouts - you can modify it to your needs. What you lose in familiarity you gain in desk space and reduced finger/hand movement.
This is true. I have enjoyed adapting to a 60% and now prefer the layout. So maybe it's time to get just a little bit smaller.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

19 Apr 2015, 19:21

RoastPotatoes wrote: I do quite like this layout. But I am not yet convinced on the viability of 40% boards.
I was the same way, so I bought the parts for a Planck and assembled it just to try out the size. Sometimes, it's annoying to have the numbers on a layer, but that's about my only complaint. Everything else is fine.

RoastPotatoes

19 Apr 2015, 19:41

prdlm2009 wrote:
I was the same way, so I bought the parts for a Planck and assembled it just to try out the size. Sometimes, it's annoying to have the numbers on a layer, but that's about my only complaint. Everything else is fine.

Could I see your layout? I would be interested to see a working example of someone's layout

topoly

19 Apr 2015, 21:49

Ordered mine this week, really looking forward to the build.

Definitely going to be a learning curve to adapt to the size, but I think this will be a nice alternative to carrying around a tkl when I'm going between two offices several days a week.

TurtleMaster

19 Aug 2015, 22:20

This just the perfect KB that i want.

TurtleMaster

19 Aug 2015, 22:23

I think that really depend on what you use the KB for, Im a coder, need shift most the time anyways, now instead of shift i used FN.

RoastPotatoes

19 Aug 2015, 22:24

TurtleMaster wrote:
I think that really depend on what you use the KB for, Im a coder, need shift most the time anyways, now instead of shift i used FN.
I now have a planck coming so I will give it a go.

Madhias
BS TORPE

19 Aug 2015, 22:36

I am searching for a 40% keybaord but with Bluetooth support, for using with the tablet! That could be a nice usage option for these small keyboards. Quark or simial do not have BT support? Planned in the future? Like the GON MobiK.

TurtleMaster

20 Aug 2015, 17:48

Madhias wrote:
I am searching for a 40% keybaord but with Bluetooth support, for using with the tablet! That could be a nice usage option for these small keyboards. Quark or simial do not have BT support? Planned in the future? Like the GON MobiK.

Bluetooth is nice, but if you are a mac user, somehow I have an impression that most of the BT module will have interference between apple mouse the keyboard.

TurtleMaster

20 Aug 2015, 17:51

Any update on this project please, I have sent an email to OP, but not got reply yet.

TurtleMaster

20 Aug 2015, 18:06

RoastPotatoes wrote:
TurtleMaster wrote:
I now have a planck coming so I will give it a go.
Planck is nice, im just a little picky about the layout, I prefer the stagged layout, Quark is the prfect combo of JD40 and planck IMHO.

wscarlton

20 Aug 2015, 20:03

TurtleMaster wrote: Any update on this project please, I have sent an email to OP, but not got reply yet.
Just saw your email and came back to check. There is much more activity with this project over on Reddit (r/mechanicalkeyboards). Several people have finished building the keyboard (it is a handwiring only board at this point).

You can see a lot of the relevant posts here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... rict_sr=on

Parts available for purchase here: http://ortholinearkeyboards.com/quark

As for the slight shifting of the switches you were asking about, it is very minor. I have MX Clears on my board and they stay in place unless I push them from side to side (which I don't consider to be normal use). If I do try to dislodge the keys on purpose, they will move less than 1mm.

TurtleMaster

21 Aug 2015, 06:44

Thanks wscarlton for your reply, just wondering if anyone is working on PCB design?

RoastPotatoes

22 Aug 2015, 02:30

TurtleMaster wrote:Thanks wscarlton for your reply, just wondering if anyone is working on PCB design?
I think jack said that is a way in the future. The focus is on ortholinear keyboards after all.

TurtleMaster

22 Aug 2015, 02:44

It"t not that hard to design PCB just time consuming... I would really like to design the PCB but too many things...

Return to “Workshop”