Cherry G80-3000HRMUS

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 Aug 2015, 05:11

After about 8 months it's finally here.. :mrgreen:

Lovely 1.25u bottom row, fully MX compatible and center stemmed! Win/menu keys are pad print, and you can see the clear coat.

derzemel

27 Aug 2015, 07:08

It has suddenly become one of my life goals to find one of these

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

27 Aug 2015, 07:55

Nice find, I have the same keyboard with MX Blacks, but Blues are supreme.

JustLiQuiD

27 Aug 2015, 09:43

I want it NOW! :D

Enjoy it.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

27 Aug 2015, 09:56

photekq wrote: After about 8 months it's finally here.. :mrgreen:
8 months seems to be a reasonable waiting time for such a nice keyboard ;)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

27 Aug 2015, 12:32

What so great about this board? I'm not much of a Cherry guy, fyi.

scottc

27 Aug 2015, 13:53

It's got doubleshot ANSI keycaps, a 1.25u uniform bottom row compatible with modern boards (which is rather rare), and is in very good condition with an intact box.

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2015, 13:55

As always with the cherry chaps, it all comes down to caps. Imagine how much this bottom row keyboard would be worth if those lasered caps were doubleshots too! It must be very painful to be on such an obscure mount…

Halvar

27 Aug 2015, 14:08

Imagine there was a rare type of SSK that had a full modern bottom row ...

Mind blown.

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2015, 14:16

That's what Realforces are for!

Besides, we're talking Cherry here. Which, from my all my observation, means a total focus on caps, and pretending that no one has made any since Cherry gave up on the good ones, around the same time IBM gave up on Model M.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

27 Aug 2015, 15:20

Never understood why cherry boards are so sought after, besides the nice dyesub keys.

But this definitely looks better than any other fullsize cherry mx I have seen! Nice find!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

27 Aug 2015, 16:14

Don't know why so many people are after IBM keyboards.

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2015, 16:32

Hey, you forgot the snarky joke. That's the game we're playing here, choc.

derzemel

27 Aug 2015, 16:35

kbdfr wrote: Don't know why so many people are after IBM keyboards.
Novelty, seen as "the mechanical" keyboards, the feeling, the looks, etc... bragging rights in conclusion (at least that's my case with the AT I have, but I do not think I would get another one :P)

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2015, 16:37

Novelty?

Sir, you better turn in that Model F. Your mech privileges are revoked!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Aug 2015, 16:41

Snarky joke? Bragging rights? Come on guys. Let our grumpy chocolate bar do what he does well. :D

kbdfr
The Tiproman

27 Aug 2015, 17:07

You will have noticed I said nothing about Topre boards :lol:

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 Aug 2015, 17:08

Muirium wrote: As always with the cherry chaps, it all comes down to caps. Imagine how much this bottom row keyboard would be worth if those lasered caps were doubleshots too! It must be very painful to be on such an obscure mount…
Pad print, not lasered! :x Bloody good pad print too. The legend is just as clear and crisp as any doubleshot.
Muirium wrote: Besides, we're talking Cherry here. Which, from my all my observation, means a total focus on caps, and pretending that no one has made any since Cherry gave up on the good ones
Oh no.. I don't pretend none have been made. I just don't like any of the others, as they all either look bad or feel bad :lol:

seebart

27 Aug 2015, 17:11

kbdfr wrote:You will have noticed I said nothing about Topre boards :lol:
I did notice and found that highly disappointing. :D

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2015, 17:12

Fair enough, I know another fellow with strong preferences when I see one!

Something I'd like to know is a summary of the difference between pad printed and lasered caps. Not the process (self explanatory) but the result. Whenever people ask, all I know to mention is the clear coat that pad print typically / hopefully has. You know, right before I commence pissing all over them for their inherent inferiority in any case!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

27 Aug 2015, 17:35

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 Aug 2015, 17:44

Well, lasered takes material away, so you can often feel it unless it's infilled. If it is infilled, it's often not very sharp when you look close. And if it isn't infilled good luck getting a nice contrast!

I'm not quite sure how Cherry/GMK did/does their pad print, but it seems to be some kind of transfer. On older keyboards where they didn't use the clear coat (e.g G80-3000HAV) you can see there's no border around the letters like you would see on low quality pad print (see below). Anyway, the pad print is very high quality. You really can't tell that it's not doubleshot unless you look out for the clear coat border or look at the underside of the keycap.

low quality pad print, most assuredly not GMK/Cherry

seebart

27 Aug 2015, 18:00

Hmm good Info's photekq.

Muirium
µ

27 Aug 2015, 18:09

Thanks. Those clearcoats look like stick on tattoos that were popular in the 80s amongst primary school kids. Blech! I assume they work much the same way. Just stick 'em on. Then maybe pop 'em in the oven until they bind, in this case. Pretty sure that's what's worn through on my PowerBook keyboard. Legends like that haven't a chance when I'm typing.

Good old Lenovo comparing apples with oranges. Why aren't the competitors caps the same letter of the alphabet as Lenovo's? Because dodgy comparisons make good marketing. D isn't even in the same row!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

27 Aug 2015, 22:30

Harvest the caps, toss the rest!

Madhias
BS TORPE

27 Aug 2015, 22:58

Lovely keyboard! I do feel Windows 95 here, Windows 95!

Topre Enthusiast

28 Aug 2015, 05:15

Surprise, surprise -- another sexy G80-3k from photekq. I don't mind Cherry blues these days. For me, blues are like that mate you have who is great to hang around with but only in small doses :)

dorkvader

31 Aug 2015, 06:22

photekq wrote: Well, lasered takes material away, so you can often feel it unless it's infilled. If it is infilled, it's often not very sharp when you look close. And if it isn't infilled good luck getting a nice contrast!

I'm not quite sure how Cherry/GMK did/does their pad print, but it seems to be some kind of transfer. On older keyboards where they didn't use the clear coat (e.g G80-3000HAV) you can see there's no border around the letters like you would see on low quality pad print (see below). Anyway, the pad print is very high quality. You really can't tell that it's not doubleshot unless you look out for the clear coat border or look at the underside of the keycap.

low quality pad print, most assuredly not GMK/Cherry
Modern laptop keys tampo printing or pad printing is not always bad. In most cases the hardcoat over the printing is much harder than the ABS plastic beneath it. For longevity, I don't understand why anyone uses ABS. I mean, nobody is stopping you from making a pad-print PBT keycap for example.

The point is that your "low quality pad print" already lasts longer than the plastic it's used on, making that the weak point.

anyway even thin doubleshots like what cherry makes will wear out soon enough. That's why Honeywell had the right idea in 1968 with their doubleshots: designed to last the full 30 billion actuations the switches are rated for. Modern non-cherry doubleshots aren't even thin: they are eggshells.

Hak Foo

31 Aug 2015, 08:15

The problem is that by coating just the area over the character, it looks cheap and crappy; indeed, it tends to make the lettered area reflect quite weirdly.

I recently got one of the older Thinkpads with a screen-mounted light, and with the light on in a dark room, you don't read the keys so much as see the shine off the clear-coat.

Return to “Gallery”