23 Sep 2015, 18:24

That's looking great, a real must-have [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

scottc

23 Sep 2015, 18:58

It's... beautiful! I am SO EXCITED.

Muirium
µ

23 Sep 2015, 19:31

Sparkly! Now you're talking my language!

I like the chamfered socket around the micro USB port. (Again: good choice on a modern connector.) I'd love to see something like that on the next Realforce. Yes, it's that nice. Sterling work, man!

Now dig out your Granite…

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Sep 2015, 19:48

yeah you know Granite is already placed on other two keyboards :)

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

23 Sep 2015, 19:54

This looks amazing, now to see what the price it will be to know if I can afford one or not :D But this is beyond awesome.

Muirium
µ

23 Sep 2015, 19:57

Yup. Might finally be a good excuse to put those Korean springs you sent me to good use!

SL89

23 Sep 2015, 19:58

It's crazy how much this thread and project has changed. It's awesome to see it come to fruition (or almost)

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

24 Sep 2015, 10:30

Muirium wrote: Yup. Might finally be a good excuse to put those Korean springs you sent me to good use!
The perfect excuse ;) Now I have to see how to ditch the bloody customs if I want to get this little beauty of a board :lol:

Whmeltonjr

24 Sep 2015, 17:52

Any idea when the buy will start/how much it will be? I need to decide if I'm going to get Gaterons or Zealio, but price of this will determine that.

potatowire

24 Sep 2015, 18:58

I'm repeating myself, but I can't wait for this.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Sep 2015, 11:41

The keyset is still very early prototypey, so disregards the many issues... but overall it is so sweet :)

scottc

25 Sep 2015, 11:46

Awesome. :D The keycaps are nice but not exactly my cup of tea: I need that classy Cherry font! ;) Still they look beautiful, especially the fox key!

Muirium
µ

25 Sep 2015, 13:38

I have a feeling that's the first custom PBT dyesub set I've seen with Helvetica!

The legends could be bigger: look at the Realforce or Cherry dyesubs, I think that larger size works better even and especially in the centre. You know how big the legends are on vintage doubleshot sphericals and SA!

There's obviously some room for improvement on alignment and the icons on the mods, too, but for a prototype it's quite decent. I know why you're excited!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Sep 2015, 14:36

plot twist....

it's not Helvetica!

ta-daa

Muirium
µ

25 Sep 2015, 15:14

I know. Neither was IBM's. But at least you're using a Helvetica clone (and a better one than miserable Arial). Maybe you'll step up to the real thing for the final version, instead of the tribute band!
Spoiler:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Sep 2015, 08:08

mmmh bigger font? I don't think so :D

potatowire

03 Oct 2015, 16:10

More news, please! I'm dying here!

gianni

03 Oct 2015, 20:25

Wouldn't it be more clean and easier to machine if the top plate, instead of being machined inside the borders, was a bit bigger than the same borders? Maybe it would be a little easier to make, with less problems of tolerances and deformations.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Oct 2015, 08:03

gianni wrote: Wouldn't it be more clean and easier to machine if the top plate, instead of being machined inside the borders, was a bit bigger than the same borders? Maybe it would be a little easier to make, with less problems of tolerances and deformations.
it would be definitely easier, but we are for a challenge, aren't we :)

gianni

04 Oct 2015, 13:10

If it was for me, I would have kept it simpler, which could possibly mean cheaper.

A flat border could possibly allow less stringent tolerances, and more possibility of experimenting with different plates.

Now I notice that the thin border of the case could possibly look not so nice in the pcb mounted keyboard which I had in mind.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Oct 2015, 08:03

the case is specifically made for plate mounting (it wouldn't work without a plate).

gianni

05 Oct 2015, 08:27

OK, I still had the old sandwich case in mind... Time to go back to gh 60 or gon.. :-\

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

05 Oct 2015, 22:28

Wow looks great. Congrats. Should have plenty of happy customers.

flabbergast

12 Oct 2015, 10:18

Hey matt3o - got a question about the PCB - if I'm reading the thread correctly, you're using MK20DX256VLH7 chip (Teensy 3.1/3.2) on it right? So my question is - does your PCB/circuit include the crystal?

Running USB on that chip without a crystal is officially out-of-spec, although it *does* work (as mchck and infinity KB demonstrated); I'm just curious.

I'm porting TMK to run on ARM Teensies, and I want to make sure that it will include also whitefox, so I'd like to know about the crystal. (TMK works fine by now, I'm now making sure that EEPROM support works as well, to have the bootmagic stuff working.)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Oct 2015, 20:10

well I can tell ya that Hasu will be provided with a whitefox, hopefully he will be adding it to his TMK firmware!

ccc24

18 Oct 2015, 02:51

Any quotes on pricing yet? I plan on buying some PCB receptacles for hot swappable..you think this could be feasible with your PCB? Something like these https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/1801940

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Oct 2015, 11:42

that would be nice, but honestly I don't know if they would fit. I'd need to grab some and try.

ccc24

18 Oct 2015, 23:06

ahh ok. They have various different sizes for those so I guess I'll just wait for more information to come out.

Return to “Workshop”