Pimp my G80 5000

Muirium
µ

09 Oct 2015, 00:04

That's the bit I don't understand. Surely it dries eventually in any case? What do you guys mean? Keep brushing until it's all gone?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Oct 2015, 00:08

kbdfr wrote: […] Brush again in intervalls of about half an hour, adding a bit H2O2 and Oxi Vanish if needed to prevent drying (which is essential). […]

Muirium
µ

09 Oct 2015, 00:10

But then what? I know I'm being thick, but I don't understand what you mean. Let it dry by never letting it dry?

Or do you mean take it out the sun and then dry it off with something manually?

chzel

09 Oct 2015, 00:14

Keep it wet long enough for the stuff to work and then rinse clean. If it dries on you risk mottling.

Muirium
µ

09 Oct 2015, 00:17

Rinsing I understand, thanks Chzel! I got the risks, just not the directions.

People say I write clearly. Perhaps I do, but it comes naturally, as at heart I am a well meaning simpleton. Seems to work well enough in words!

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Oct 2015, 00:39

^ Now you only need 4 hours of continuous sunlight. :twisted:

Muirium
µ

09 Oct 2015, 13:09

Step 1. Apply peroxide.
Step 2. Take the keyboard abroad.
Step 3. You let it dry, didn't you? Idiot!

Even German overcast is brighter than the gloom we have here. Almost makes me pine for back when we were destroying the ozone layer. Sure, mass extinction and all that. But won't someone please think of the polar retrobrighters!?!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Oct 2015, 13:22

Muirium wrote: Step 1. Apply peroxide.
Step 2. Take the keyboard abroad.
Step 3. You let it dry, didn't you? Idiot!

Even German overcast is brighter than the gloom we have here. Almost makes me pine for back when we were destroying the ozone layer. Sure, mass extinction and all that. But won't someone please think of the polar retrobrighters!?!
You need the polar formula, don't ask me for the details cause I don't know. 8-)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Oct 2015, 13:44

Photos before and after retrobrighting for only 2 hours on a completely sunless day:
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/g80- ... ml#p237600

I would recommend trying it yourself instead of just doubting for the sake of it 8-)

seebart

09 Oct 2015, 13:51

I doubt anyone is doubting you here. You're not in "Oberlehrermodus" right now either! ;) I will try this soon and post my results.

Muirium
µ

09 Oct 2015, 15:21

I'd like to see the results of doing it inside, at the other end of a room to the window. That would be more like my environment! I have a north facing home… in permacloudy Scotland…

seebart

09 Oct 2015, 15:26

I might do it inside, in my new place I got a bigger basement. Only problem being the light conditions in my basement are scottish!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Oct 2015, 16:11

Before doing it inside, I would ascertain there are no toxic emissions.
Quite a few of us have already given an arm and a leg for a keyboard, but would you give a lung?

seebart

09 Oct 2015, 16:18

Good point. A lung for a keyboard? That would have to be something really nice.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

11 Jun 2016, 17:12

I still couldn't get overcome me painting or modding the case.

Anybody found a good way to replace the spacebars yet? The only solution I have come up is a standard Right-Shift, looks like sheit though.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

14 Jun 2016, 15:23

I did it:

the spacebar problem is really buggin' me:
a.jpg
a.jpg (129.78 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
Twoface (still cant decide what I like more):
b.jpg
b.jpg (86.99 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
Unfortunately my camera is crap and it does look a little different in real life =/

Also I should repaint the right hand side.

Khers

14 Jun 2016, 15:44

:shock:

seebart

14 Jun 2016, 15:50

Two face MX 5000. Nice job. Why not! I actually like that case color better than the original.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

14 Jun 2016, 16:24

Thanks. The color is gun metal grey. I used plasti dip, so it shouldn't be a problem to change it whenever I want :)

One down side so far is the part where the two keyboard-parts meet since the plasti dip comes off here really easy due to rubbing against each other. But since I always use the open ergonomic layout it doesn't matter.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

12 Jan 2017, 21:52

Just realized that it took almost a year from opening the thread to modding the keyboard xD

June must be my creativity month!

Return to “Workshop”