I need a large E-Reader

Ace
§

09 Oct 2015, 07:08

Unfortunately, there is a real lack of these these (not a typo) days. I love the concept of devices like the voyage any paperwight from Amazon, but I want a larger E-Reader. One that's good for textbooks and large, detailed PDFs. Preferably even on that has some hand-writing capabilities.

I haven't been able to find anything of great convenience, so I thought I's ask you all here.

gogusrl

09 Oct 2015, 10:33

What you want doesn't exist. you can grab the Kindle DX (http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Wireles ... B002GYWHSQ) but it's pretty obsolete these days and it won't have any pdf / handwriting support.

If you need to read pdf, a tablet is your only answer.

andrewjoy

09 Oct 2015, 10:54

iPad Pro ?

OleVoip

09 Oct 2015, 11:27

gogusrl wrote: What you want doesn't exist.
It does exist, Sony Digital Paper
but Sony only sold it to corporate customers. It seems they've taken it off the market again.

derzemel

09 Oct 2015, 12:00

Icarus Excel 9'' Ebook-Reader

SONY Digital Paper DPT-S1 (reads only PDF - wayyy too expensive)

Kindle DX

There are a few other, here is a quick comparison.

andrewjoy

09 Oct 2015, 12:40

OleVoip wrote:
but Sony only sold it to corporate customers. It seems they've taken it off the market again.

I was looking for a large e-reader and came across that, they would sell like hotcakes if they did a consumer version.

On tablets, google please MAKE A NEW BLOODY NEXUS 10! I want to retire the iPad2

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

09 Oct 2015, 15:31

Maybe you can find a Kno tablet somewhere. Man that thing was terrible.

jbondeson

09 Oct 2015, 16:10

gogusrl wrote: What you want doesn't exist. you can grab the Kindle DX (http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Wireles ... B002GYWHSQ) but it's pretty obsolete these days and it won't have any pdf / handwriting support.
As a DX owner for the last 3 years, I can say that this is incorrect. It does have PDF support and as I have read dozens of textbooks on it I can say that it works pretty decently at it. It's not perfect by any means, but it does the job.

It does not however have any handwriting support.

Ace
§

09 Oct 2015, 16:48

XMIT wrote: Maybe you can find a Kno tablet somewhere. Man that thing was terrible.
If it was terrible, why are you suggesting I get one?

elecplus

09 Oct 2015, 17:33

Ace
§

09 Oct 2015, 18:27

I DO know about the digital paper, but the price is not really justifiable at all. And it's not like you're paying that much for a near perfect product, either. It has its share of flaws, as I've heard…

The iPad Pro is a standard tablet. Meaning it has a standard backlit display.

I'll check out some other suggestions and post back here.

Seriously, though. If Amazon made a Voyage quality large-print eReader, they'd have themselves a hit.
Last edited by Ace on 09 Oct 2015, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Ace
§

09 Oct 2015, 18:30

andrewjoy wrote:
OleVoip wrote:

I was looking for a large e-reader and came across that, they would sell like hotcakes if they did a consumer version.

On tablets, google please MAKE A NEW BLOODY NEXUS 10! I want to retire the iPad2
Considered the Pixel-C? It trumps both the iPad Pro and Surface 4 in terms of innovation, IMO. (Let's not start a discussion about that here, please. If you wanna, you can reply on my Surface Opinions thread). :P

Muirium
µ

09 Oct 2015, 18:33

Innovation: make hardware that looks different.

Ace
§

09 Oct 2015, 20:14

Muirium wrote: Innovation: make hardware that looks different.
Be fair Mu. There hasn't been, and certainly isn't, an Android tablet on the market that can act as a hybrid the way the Pixel can. And frankly, it doesn't really look too radical either.

But please, let's not talk about that here. I just wanna get my question answered.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Oct 2015, 20:16

Muirium wrote: Innovation: make hardware that looks different.
That's partial innovation!

elecplus

09 Oct 2015, 22:49

Ace
§

09 Oct 2015, 23:55

elecplus wrote: Maybe this will help a little? http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/large-e ... aders.html
It did, thanks!

It seems that the Kindle DX may still be the best option out there. Despite not having a stylus (or even a touch-screen), the DX seems to be the most reputable one out there. Amazon's planning on updating their eReaders this month (October). I know it's futile, but I'm hoping that maybe they'll wow us with a large tablet. A sort of successor to the DX.

zslane

10 Oct 2015, 00:40

I think the tablet market is moving away from highly focused, single (or minimal) function devices and towards general purpose computers. The idea is that an e-reader should just be an app, not a device class. The market pressure then falls upon app developers to deliver the functionality you want, rather than hardware manufacturers. You get to leverage the benefits of competition far more and you end up with a more flexible device in the end.

Your real problem is that you want a rather unusual (by current market standards) display technology, one which will probably disappear completely before long. Might as well just learn to love that Retina display now...

elecplus

10 Oct 2015, 00:48

I have an OLD paper white Kindle,and a newer one. The old is just a reader, and the newer one does all kinds of things. For just reading, I still prefer the paper white. Sharper text, less strain on the eyes, no glare, and a battery charge lasts for at least a week, even when I read about 8 hours per day. The only regret is that it has no way to attach storage, so I have to connect to my PC to download if I want to read content that is not from Amazon.

I also have a Chinese tablet that is about 10 years old, that will read books in Daisy format, which means audio format, or books for the blind. Since my husband no longer reads much, he likes this feature.

elecplus

10 Oct 2015, 00:53

A review of the Kindle DX. Note that it also has no storage capabilities, such as Micro SD cards. http://best-kindle-comparison-review.to ... eview.html

zuglufttier

10 Oct 2015, 01:02

I think, you'd have to wait a few years before big and cheap e-ink readers become available. The Sony DPTS1 can be had for 799$ and another contender, the Pocketbook CAD Reader Flex, is coming out in 2016, somewhere between 500 and 1000$. This is from IFA this year: http://www.lesen.net/ereader/pocketbook ... deo-22279/

infodroid

10 Oct 2015, 18:00

Ace wrote: Unfortunately, there is a real lack of these these (not a typo) days. I love the concept of devices like the voyage any paperwight from Amazon, but I want a larger E-Reader. One that's good for textbooks and large, detailed PDFs. Preferably even on that has some hand-writing capabilities.
I got a Kindle DX with 9.7" screen back in 2010. It is still my go-to device for serious reading. The screen has been excellent for reading PDF's, including textbooks and academic articles. The rendering is crisp and I never have to zoom in to see charts and graphics more clearly. Even under heavy usage it's charge lasts for weeks and weeks. My one complaint is that it's locked-down, so it's not possible to upgrade the software or load certain kinds of PDF's (but there are workaround). Also, it is somewhat underpowered so it can choke on some poorly-encoded PDF's. This means it can take longer than usual to flip pages quickly. Having said that flipping pages on PDF's is much slower than with mobi e-books.

Over the years I have been keeping an eye on the Onyx Boox as a possible upgrade. Their 9.7" device was launched around the same time as the Kindle DX. But unlike the DX it has continued to evolve over time. First they added pen support, so you can take handwritten notes, scribbles, and annotations. And then they moved over to Android, which was a very welcome move. However I just checked in on them again now and find that all their devices are sold out at their online shop. And it looks like they are winding down the company.

When my Kindle DX dies, I'd probably go for a tablet around the 9.7" mark too. I think it's the perfect size but only if the device has a decent resolution. One thing to watch out for with tablets is the aspect ratio. You'll want to stick to 4:3 aspect ratio (instead of 16:9), which is now increasingly available.

JBert

10 Oct 2015, 21:02

zslane wrote: The idea is that an e-reader should just be an app, not a device class.
I bought a (Kobo) e-reader a couple of months ago and it has several benefits if you do use it for reading:
- Crisp text
- with no glare
- which is readable in nearly all lighting conditions
- with a battery life measured in weeks or months.

Also e-readers come with a (limited) number of apps these days...

davkol

10 Oct 2015, 21:04

And now for something completely different…

I use Asus Eee Note EA800. It has several unique features:
  • a non-backlit monochromatic (remember old palmtops?) 8-inch LCD, that can fit A4 PDFs very nicely and refreshes like no e-ink;
  • a typical pen-operated Wacom digitizer (you can in fact connect the device to a desktop/laptop and use it as a graphical tablet, i.e., a pointing device);
  • an embedded Linux system with Qt (it's possible to run a shell and some Qt apps on it rather easily; an FTP server for more straightforward syncing is particularly useful).
It's awesome for reading math/science papers, even scanned or with complicated math/graphics, and note-taking (or annotating the PDFs).

Unfortunately, Asus completely buried this device by a combination of poor availability and badly timed marketing.

OleVoip

10 Oct 2015, 22:04

zuglufttier wrote: The Sony DPTS1 can be had for 799$
That's no regular market price. These are remainders - return excluded, unsupported product.

nevin

11 Oct 2015, 03:29

I remmeber looking at the notion ink adam when they were first coming out, had an interesting set of options & screen choices for the time/device. Believe you could get pixel qi displays (pixel chi).

Ace
§

14 Oct 2015, 19:02

davkol wrote: And now for something completely different…

I use Asus Eee Note EA800. It has several unique features:
  • a non-backlit monochromatic (remember old palmtops?) 8-inch LCD, that can fit A4 PDFs very nicely and refreshes like no e-ink;
  • a typical pen-operated Wacom digitizer (you can in fact connect the device to a desktop/laptop and use it as a graphical tablet, i.e., a pointing device);
  • an embedded Linux system with Qt (it's possible to run a shell and some Qt apps on it rather easily; an FTP server for more straightforward syncing is particularly useful).
It's awesome for reading math/science papers, even scanned or with complicated math/graphics, and note-taking (or annotating the PDFs).

Unfortunately, Asus completely buried this device by a combination of poor availability and badly timed marketing.
This is absolutely amazing! But as you said, it seems to be completely dead. :(
Do you think that there's any hope of Asus releasing a new one? Or even any hope of finding one in the web?

Ace
§

14 Oct 2015, 19:04

zuglufttier wrote: I think, you'd have to wait a few years before big and cheap e-ink readers become available. The Sony DPTS1 can be had for 799$ and another contender, the Pocketbook CAD Reader Flex, is coming out in 2016, somewhere between 500 and 1000$. This is from IFA this year: http://www.lesen.net/ereader/pocketbook ... deo-22279/
I've heard of this, but thought that it had been cancelled. If it's still coming out, I may even be willing to pay that high amount. It seems like a revolutionary device.

davkol

17 Oct 2015, 22:56

Ace wrote:

<snip>
Do you think that there's any hope of Asus releasing a new one? Or even any hope of finding one in the web?
It was announced and reviewed throughout ~2011 and somewhat available outside Taiwan only in 2012. Asus originally promised a higher-end model with multi-color display and other extras, but the whole thing eventually died out.

I have a spare NIB one that I might sell soon, because even the primary one rarely gets much use these days, since I have a Tablet PC thinkpad and a Nokia MID as well.

Ace
§

26 Oct 2015, 06:45

davkol wrote:
Ace wrote:

<snip>
It was announced and reviewed throughout ~2011 and somewhat available outside Taiwan only in 2012. Asus originally promised a higher-end model with multi-color display and other extras, but the whole thing eventually died out.

I have a spare NIB one that I might sell soon, because even the primary one rarely gets much use these days, since I have a Tablet PC thinkpad and a Nokia MID as well.
If you ever do sell it, you'd better hit me up instead of making a post! :mrgreen:

Return to “Off-topic”