IMSAI IKB-1 Keyboard (from War Games fame)

snuci
Vintage computer guy

09 Oct 2015, 16:55

Since I mentioned this in my last post, the other cool keyboard I have is the IMSAI IKB-1 that you may have seen in War Games. Mine does not have the graphics on the outer case (because it's an early version) but it is definitely it. It goes beautifully with the computer that it really went with as opposed to the IMSAI 8080 that was in the movie. There was some discussion at GH a while back about this but while it was not marked as Stackpole or Hi-Tek, it appears to be one of them. I figured those who may have not seen it would be curious about it since there's interest in the Polymorphic keyboard..

Here's some pics.
IMSAI PCS-80/30 with IKB-1 keyboard
IMSAI PCS-80/30 with IKB-1 keyboard
IMSAI PCS-80-30.jpg (239.44 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
IKB-1 Internal keyboard board
IKB-1 Internal keyboard board
IKB-1 Internal board.jpg (217.17 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
IKB-1 Rear board
IKB-1 Rear board
IKB-1 Rear.jpg (355.93 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
IKB-1 top profile
IKB-1 top profile
IKB-1 top profile.jpg (228.78 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
IKB-1 bottom profile
IKB-1 bottom profile
IKB-1 bottom profile.jpg (270.3 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
IKB-1 Keyswitch
IKB-1 Keyswitch
IKB-1 Keyswitch.jpg (240 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
IKB-1 side profile
IKB-1 side profile
IKB-1 side profile.jpg (283 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
IKB-1 date stamp?
IKB-1 date stamp?
IKB-1 marking.jpg (200.15 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
IKB-1 below space bar
IKB-1 below space bar
IKB-1 space bar waffle.jpg (250.89 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
IKB-1 bottom of space bar
IKB-1 bottom of space bar
IKB-1 bottom of Space bar.jpg (233.15 KiB) Viewed 7516 times

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Oct 2015, 18:46

I must say you have some very sweet vintage keyboards snuci! Another Hi-Tek. Impressive.

fohat
Elder Messenger

09 Oct 2015, 20:13

That is similar to a Hi-Tek Stackpole I used to have (yellow switches) but it did not have the case.

I kept thinking about building a really nice wooden case, but I eventually sold it to hwood34

Stiff linear switches are not my cup of tea.

Chyros

09 Oct 2015, 20:29

Are those Hi-Teks stiffer than the NMB ones by any chance?

cineflex35

11 Oct 2015, 19:32

Chryos
I'm not familiar with the IKB-1 Keyswitches [Hi-Tek linear].

And just to clarify is it Hi-Tek linear not Stackpole correct?

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Hi-Tek_linear
The switch shares the same style of return spring (a tight cluster of turns in the centre as well as at each end), and the same contact mechanism, as the later NMB Hi-Tek switch.
Keyboards
Unconfirmed
IMSAI IKB-1 Intelligent Keyboard (black sliders)
What is the closest modern equivalent to this switch?
as far as actuation force weighting of XX cN ?
Cherry MX Red low actuation force, at 45 cN
Cherry MX Black linear medium to high actuation force, at 60 cN
Cherry MX Clear with a tactile bump and weighting of 65 cN

Chyros

11 Oct 2015, 22:10

Nope, definitely Hi-Teks; the tooth pattern is different on Stackpoles.

fohat
Elder Messenger

12 Oct 2015, 02:51

I don't own this keyboard any more, but I was assuming that stackpole was made by Hi-Tek.

This is not my area of expertise.
Attachments
stackpole-01-top.JPG
stackpole-01-top.JPG (223.53 KiB) Viewed 7371 times
old-keyboard-switch.JPG
old-keyboard-switch.JPG (158.09 KiB) Viewed 7371 times
stackpole-10-switch-04.jpg
stackpole-10-switch-04.jpg (334.61 KiB) Viewed 7371 times

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

12 Oct 2015, 03:08

fohat wrote: I don't own this keyboard any more, but I was assuming that stackpole was made by Hi-Tek.
Oh bother. I hope it went to a good home.

There was a fellow on the forums some time ago (earlier this year) who was connected with Hi-Tek back in the day. I can't remember his name, or the thread title :roll: , but I do remember that this question came up. IIRC, Stackpole was made by a different company entirely!

snuci
Vintage computer guy

12 Oct 2015, 03:16

That keyboard is from a Heathkit H88 or H89. I have one of each. They are stackpole because of the fingers on the key switches. The stackpole and Hi-tek keyboard assemblies both have the waffle grid and look almost identical so it would not be hard to mistake them as the same.

terrycherry

12 Oct 2015, 05:39

snuci: So, did you take any clearly picture about the difference of stackpole and Hi-Tek switch?
And find the easy way to determine them. The deskthority wiki did not say that very clearly.

XMIT: jhill8 had worked in Hi-tek at late1970s but he didn't login any more.
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/hi- ... 435-30.htm

Chyros

12 Oct 2015, 09:42

The easiest way is the tooth pattern which allows you to see very clearly whether it's a true Hi-Tek or a Stackpole. Btw Stackpole was a different company entirely and not affiliated with Hi-Tek; the latter sued for patent infringement on the back of Stackpole's obviously stolen design.

terrycherry

12 Oct 2015, 10:50

Chyros, I knew they're two company but I can't classify some variant of tooth pattern which is Hi-Tek or Stackpole surely.
Is Stackpole a copycat?

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

12 Oct 2015, 11:44

Very cool keyboard indeed.

Chyros

12 Oct 2015, 14:11

terrycherry wrote: Chyros, I knew they're two company but I can't classify some variant of tooth pattern which is Hi-Tek or Stackpole surely.
Is Stackpole a copycat?
Yes, Stackpole is a copycat.

The tooth pattern has to do with which of the "hands" are "toothed" so to speak. Hi-Tek only has teeth on ONE of the hands. Stackpole and other clones have teeth on both hands, often diagonally mirrored. Sorry if it's not clear without a picture but I'm on my phone atm :) .

snuci
Vintage computer guy

12 Oct 2015, 15:20

Chyros wrote: The tooth pattern has to do with which of the "hands" are "toothed" so to speak. Hi-Tek only has teeth on ONE of the hands. Stackpole and other clones have teeth on both hands, often diagonally mirrored. Sorry if it's not clear without a picture but I'm on my phone atm :) .
The best resource that describes the differences is the Wiki page for Hi-tek linear here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Hi-Tek_linear

The graphic within shows:

terrycherry

12 Oct 2015, 18:57

I got it. Thank you my friends.
Is fohat's keyboard(own before) belong to stackpole switch?
That's the another variant I never seen!

mr_a500

16 Oct 2015, 18:33

From seeing it in the movie, I always thought this keyboard was brown. Obviously it's dark grey.

I'll post some of the IMSAI photos I have:
Wargames lg.jpg
wargames.jpg
IKB 1.JPG
...and some PCS photos:
IMSAI PCS80.jpg
IMSAI PCS-80.png
IMSAI PCS-40.jpg

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 Oct 2015, 18:48

Thanks for posting those pics mr_a500. Very happy to meet a fellow collector.

The IMSAI IKB-1 is a truly special keyboard even though the key caps are only Hi-Teks. It is both a parallel and serial keyboard (set with jumpers) and is programmable. I thought that was pretty cool for 1977! The little dark square is where the LEDs are that indicate when it's in p"programming mode" and "normal mode" but it has such a dark tint that they are hard to see unless you are in front of it. For those interested, you can read details about how this keyboard was programmed for the movie at http://www.imsai.net/movies/wargames.htm

The last ad is of an IMSAI VDP-40. I have a VDP-80. If I get some time this weekend, I'll post some pics of the keyboard on mine. I don't think it's anything special. Probably Hi-Tek switches also. I'll have to check what kind of keyboard it is too.

mr_a500

16 Oct 2015, 19:00

Oh yes, I saw that IMSAI link years (decade?) ago.

Unfortunately, the only IMSAI thing I managed to get so far is a metal VDP-40 badge. Everything else I see ends up in a bidding war. (..bidding wargame)

terrycherry

16 Oct 2015, 19:45

snuci wrote: Thanks for posting those pics mr_a500. Very happy to meet a fellow collector.

The IMSAI IKB-1 is a truly special keyboard even though the key caps are only Hi-Teks. It is both a parallel and serial keyboard (set with jumpers) and is programmable. I thought that was pretty cool for 1977! The little dark square is where the LEDs are that indicate when it's in p"programming mode" and "normal mode" but it has such a dark tint that they are hard to see unless you are in front of it. For those interested, you can read details about how this keyboard was programmed for the movie at http://www.imsai.net/movies/wargames.htm

The last ad is of an IMSAI VDP-40. I have a VDP-80. If I get some time this weekend, I'll post some pics of the keyboard on mine. I don't think it's anything special. Probably Hi-Tek switches also. I'll have to check what kind of keyboard it is too.
My location can't see this Hi-tek linear or modular keyboard. It's very rare to me. Hope some day can touch it!

snuci
Vintage computer guy

16 Oct 2015, 20:08

mr_a500 wrote: Oh yes, I saw that IMSAI link years (decade?) ago.

Unfortunately, the only IMSAI thing I managed to get so far is a metal VDP-40 badge. Everything else I see ends up in a bidding war. (..bidding wargame)
I can't buy the good stuff on eBay because people are crazy when items like these do come up. It just takes patience and active searching bordering on extreme :) I also have an IMSAI 8048 Control Computer with more pictures at http://vintagecomputer.ca/?computers=im ... l-computer These come up for sale on eBay once in a blue moon and when one does, it goes for crazy money.

I don't think you guys would appreciate a thread on that keypad ;)

snuci
Vintage computer guy

17 Oct 2015, 19:08

Just o follow up, I posted pics of the IKB-2 keyboard that's in the IMSAI VDP--80 here: http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/imsai ... 11830.html

mr_a500

31 Dec 2015, 14:23

Here's an early (1976?) IMSAI ad showing the "IMSAI keyboard", but it looks like it's pre-IKB-1. (IKB-0? :D )

Notice the layout is different and there is a row of lights in the top right instead of a window at the top left.
IMSAI ad.jpg

Return to “Keyboards”