[WIP] OneHand - 20% Keyboard

chanlol

04 Jul 2015, 07:43

Does anyone plan to start a GB? I think I can use this tinny keyboard when I'm working on AutoCAD! :)

ljfkidd

25 Aug 2015, 07:55

Is there still a way to acquire one of these?
Either in a groupbuy or bought directly off a person, i'd really like one. :D

adamx38243

29 Aug 2015, 07:43

I hope so!! I'd love to order a few!

PJE

29 Aug 2015, 14:52

Apologies for the delay. I keep adding things. I've just upgraded my PCB package and will be doing one more spin through the V2 board. The wait should not be too long now!

adamx38243

29 Aug 2015, 15:32

Do you know pricing? Trying to gauge expenses. BIG thank you, PJE!!

PJE

29 Aug 2015, 15:43

adamx38243 wrote:Do you know pricing? Trying to gauge expenses. BIG thank you, PJE!!
Up until now I've been giving the PCBs away. The PCBs cost around $2.50 each plus shipping. The main cost is the Teensy, switches and keycaps.

The V1 uses a Teensy 2.0, the V2 is also a Teensy 2.0, but I'm also doing a Teensy 3.1 version as well.

adamx38243

29 Aug 2015, 16:33

I'd like to preorder, if for nothing else, than to promote this project. I have $50 for you; I don't need the Teensies, but the rest would be great. paypal?

mneme

06 Sep 2015, 16:08

Please tell me that you will sell some PCBs! Or in other words- shut up and take my money. :)

PJE

07 Sep 2015, 16:54

How many are just using this one handed?

I keep changing the new design, but I can quickly swap two connections on the old design to fix the error which required the removal of one of the Teensy's LEDs as I was using the pin as an input with pull-up.

I'd like to know how many I need to order. Up to 20 I'll send them out for free with the option of sending me some keycaps in return. Over 20 I may need to charge, especially if I mount some of the components such as resistors, a small amount to cover some of the cost.

If you want everything up to or including the Teensy 2, but excluding the keycaps, I'll need to charge due the cost of the components. In which case the price would be the raw parts cost plus shipping.

The V2 board is still in flux, but the V1 was perfectly OK for one hand use.

JotaCe

07 Sep 2015, 17:39

Right now, I'm interested in a trio of boards for one hand usage. If the small components are smd, it would be nice if they could come pre-soldered (obviously, I would pay extra for this).

PJE

07 Sep 2015, 18:38

JotaCe wrote:Right now, I'm interested in a trio of boards for one hand usage. If the small components are smd, it would be nice if they could come pre-soldered (obviously, I would pay extra for this).
There are only five SMD resistors for the LEDs on the V1 design. I would mount these parts and the four screw inserts for free for a small batch.

I have a few 2x stabilizers left, but not enough for 20 units, so you may need to source your own or fit two singles in their place.

I'll brush off the V1 design and see what I can do quickly.

mohan

07 Sep 2015, 21:33

for someone desperately looking for a onehand keyboard this is like a dream come true.

How much work is it to support more characters than the ones in English. We have these in Swedish for example: ä å ö Ä Å Ö

Do you ever plan to sell a keyboard. I would love to buy one :)

PJE

07 Sep 2015, 22:25

I'll look at getting a price for a fully built unit (less keycaps). It should be around $50 including the Teensy. This would be for a PCB with all mounted components. I've tested a few MX switches, but I'm still looking for the optimum format.

There should be no issue generating any normal character, as long as I know the codes. I'll look at what I need to do to invoke the modifiers.

JotaCe

08 Sep 2015, 00:39

Stabilizers I have, along with diodes, switches, teensy and keycaps.
So I just need the PCB with the smds soldered in (since I don't have gear to solder stuff that small).
And even if you don't charge for it, I'll make a donation towards future projects :)

PJE

08 Sep 2015, 01:23

I've just given the V1 a look over and made the corrections. I'm ordering a PCB for work, and I'll tag on some boards to save shipping.

nissarup

08 Sep 2015, 14:22

I would like to buy one as well. I already have a Teensy 3.1.

Muirium
µ

08 Sep 2015, 14:34

Everyone has a spare Teensy 3.1 (including me) because those specs, man!

nissarup

08 Sep 2015, 14:36

I just showed the link to a colleague. He's interested in a couple of boards as well.

Sorenklok

08 Sep 2015, 14:57

nissarup wrote: I just showed the link to a colleague. He's interested in a couple of boards as well.
As Nissarup said - I'm interested in buying as well!

PJE

08 Sep 2015, 15:03

The V1 uses a Teensy 2.0, but could quickly be swapped to a 3.1 as long as I don't add functionality. I'll look at it tonight.

JotaCe

08 Sep 2015, 18:05

I would prefer the 2.0, but go with the majority of users.

mohan

11 Sep 2015, 16:26

Hi,
I am interested in buying a keyboard. How would the keys be attached to the keyboard? What keys do you recommend? Is some soldering needed? Thank you.

PJE

13 Sep 2015, 22:21

The key switches would be PCB mount Cherry MX. I haven't used a metal plate, but this would be a possibility in the future.

I'm looking to provide an assembled V1 unit without the keycaps for the cost of the components plus shipping. I don't have a price just yet. You'd just need to find keycaps - DSA would be the easiest to rearrange, unless you're using a QWERTY arrangement which would have sub-optimum key placement for one hand use.

mneme

23 Sep 2015, 21:10

I'd love to get a PCB with the SMD parts mounted if - you ever make a small bath of those. All the other parts are somewhat easily sourceable.

sohalt

09 Oct 2015, 19:02

I would be interested as well.
Any chance for a board with matias switches?

PJE

09 Oct 2015, 23:21

I'm currently making versions of the V1 design with Teensy 2.0 , 3.1 and ProMicro (with restrictions). I'm waiting on the slow shipping...

malcomkern

10 Oct 2015, 18:47

Read the whole post, and I love it, how can I never have seen this?
Would love to buy two boards, just for building and fiddling a round :D
I can do the SMD soldering and assembly myself.

Great project and great documentation.
Keep up the good work.

DaGameFace

10 Oct 2015, 20:35

The PCBs cost around $2.50 each plus shipping.
Where are you ordering these pcbs from?

PJE

11 Oct 2015, 19:01

DaGameFace wrote:
The PCBs cost around $2.50 each plus shipping.
Where are you ordering these pcbs from?
The original boards were from Seeedstudio via their Fusion PCB store. You need to keep the PCB under 10cm x 10cm to get the low $20 for 10 price.

scottc

11 Oct 2015, 19:20

I'd be up for a set of assembled PCBs without switches for testing. Very excited to try these out!

Return to “Workshop”