Pigeons trained to identify breast cancer

elecplus

19 Nov 2015, 11:16

If their accuracy is 99%, that is better than human pathologists!
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/ ... XW20151118

fohat
Elder Messenger

19 Nov 2015, 15:23

Cool. Birds do seem to have amazing eyesight.

I have never been able to understand how a hawk can see a squirrel in a tree from 1000 feet up anyway.

derzemel

19 Nov 2015, 15:55

Very interesting.

Most birds have incredible eyesight and pigeons also have incredible visual memory.

As a curiosity here are 2 videos regarding bird vision:

https://youtu.be/6hYaT4gvjNc?t=34s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG2y8dG2QIM

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

19 Nov 2015, 17:51

fohat wrote: Cool. Birds do seem to have amazing eyesight.

I have never been able to understand how a hawk can see a squirrel in a tree from 1000 feet up anyway.
I feel like 1000 feet is a low estimate for some birds, from what I've heard.

Birds of prey have moved back into my parents neighborhood, as I think the neighborhood environment has improved enough from the environmental ransacking when the neighborhood was built. My dad entertains himself in retirement by watching Hawks pick off the squirrels in the backyard.

fohat
Elder Messenger

20 Nov 2015, 00:11

vivalarevolución wrote:
Birds of prey have moved back into my parents neighborhood, as I think the neighborhood environment has improved enough from the environmental ransacking when the neighborhood was built.
Actually, the "wild" squirrels flee as soon as development begins, and it takes several years before "city" squirrels move back in to take their place.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

20 Nov 2015, 00:15

fohat wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote:
Birds of prey have moved back into my parents neighborhood, as I think the neighborhood environment has improved enough from the environmental ransacking when the neighborhood was built.
Actually, the "wild" squirrels flee as soon as development begins, and it takes several years before "city" squirrels move back in to take their place.
Interesting and understandable. They also are keeping the stray cats at bay. Even in a limited form, it is great to see more nature return to a developed suburban environment.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Nov 2015, 01:04

Ducks are best. Own the water, the ground and the air. Can identify mechanical keyboards in a pile from an eBay potato picture with 99% accuracy.

fohat
Elder Messenger

20 Nov 2015, 01:42

webwit wrote: Ducks are best. Own the water, the ground and the air. Can identify mechanical keyboards in a pile from an eBay potato picture with 99% accuracy.
Also beautiful and delicious. What more could you want?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

20 Nov 2015, 03:38

Looks like I was drunk typing last night.
Last edited by vivalarevolución on 20 Nov 2015, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

20 Nov 2015, 10:57

In Cambridge.

Return to “Off-topic”