Possible new Acer variant

ohaimark
Kingpin

17 Nov 2015, 05:55

I just gambled on an Acer board from eBay... It doesn't appear to be in the wiki or elsewhere on the web. The pictures are awful, but the logo and the case design (which is different than any other Acer I've seen) are visible.

What do you all think? Did I make a bad call?
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (153.47 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg (200.86 KiB) Viewed 2499 times

Scottex

17 Nov 2015, 10:53

caps seem high quality, coiled cable is always a good sign as well as no winkeys
but in the end you'll have to wait until someone identifiees it here or for it to arrive

keycap

21 Nov 2015, 22:10

Looks a lot like a Fujitsu FKB4700 with a big-ass enter, different keycap profile and ABS keycaps.

Chyros

21 Nov 2015, 22:17

The caps are almost certainly identical to Acer's old ones, which were dye-sub ABS (which I recently showed is actually dye-sub).

Those caps were Alps-compatible, but I've found those exact same caps on both my KB-101A as well as on my 6512, and both were winkeyless. Therefore I'd guess blue Alps, Acer switch or Acer dome with slider. I.e. could be anything.

Muirium
µ

21 Nov 2015, 22:20

Dyesub ABS? What witchcraft is this?

(I vaguely remember such an investigation recently. Links plz.)

Tuntematon

21 Nov 2015, 22:28

I saw this one too, it sat in my watch list for a little while. I did some quick research and couldn't come up with anything definitive, though I would say they are most probably Acer switches. Whatever it is, for $40 I wouldn't say it's a bad call. You'll have an uncommon and probably nicely built Acer in your collection. And if it is blue Alps, then I'm the one who made a bad call!

ohaimark
Kingpin

22 Nov 2015, 01:31

Muirium wrote: Dyesub ABS? What witchcraft is this?

(I vaguely remember such an investigation recently. Links plz.)
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/myt ... 11947.html

This is what you were thinking of.

ohaimark
Kingpin

19 Dec 2015, 20:31

I'm returning after a long hiatus.

The keyboard was actually produced in 1994 -- one of the latest consumer models I've seen with a native DIN connector. It is somewhat unique in that its backplate is plastic (and integrated into the top half of the case). In addition, the stabilizer mounts are injection molded with the rest of the plate.

Usually plastic mounted switches feel worse than they do in metal. This is a rare case where the reverse is true. While there is a more "cushy" and "plasticine" feel, the balkiness typical in Acer switches is reduced by the plastic plate.

I forgot to mention that the keyboard is practically a Model M clone... The aesthetics are hilariously similar.
Last edited by ohaimark on 19 Dec 2015, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

Chyros

19 Dec 2015, 21:04

So it's a 6311 then? Acer switches don't really use buckling springs, but they're one of the more unique-feeling switches I've tried so far, that's for sure.

ohaimark
Kingpin

19 Dec 2015, 21:21

Chyros wrote: So it's a 6311 then? Acer switches don't really use buckling springs, but they're one of the more unique-feeling switches I've tried so far, that's for sure.
Edited to fix the B.S. mistake. I'm quite out of it.

Yes, it is a 6311. No suffix -- it's the FCC # JVP6311. Perhaps the first model in the lineup? I posted photos on the wiki.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Acer_6310_series

Return to “Keyboards”