Visit to France/Paris

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

19 Nov 2015, 23:20

Viva goes to France.

Long story short, my girlfriend is French, we are spending Christmas in France with her family, and we will be in Paris on December 30/31 before we leave to go back to the United States on January 1. I was wondering if any Paris residents or others would be interested in meeting up on Dec 30/31, whether to discuss keyboards or anything else and meet an American Deskthoritarian. I will appoint myself the unofficial Deskthority American Ambassador. I could even stow away one of my 60% Matias switch keyboards, if anybody wants to try it out.

Somebody tell me a good place to meet in Paris on New Year's Eve that isn't a madhouse.
Considering it will be New Years Eve, I have no clue if Paris turns into a madhouse on that day, but I imagine meeting somewhere in city centre would be ideal, as it seems easy enough to get around.

So let me know if you are interested or if I am being an ignorant American by making this proposal.

***Also, I will not be doing a Muirium-style stowing away of USA keyboard parts in my suitcase, as we will be traveling light. Sorry guys.
Last edited by vivalarevolución on 02 Jan 2016, 17:27, edited 6 times in total.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

19 Nov 2015, 23:26

We were planning to make a meetup in January or so, maybe we could make it a bit sooner so we can have you. 8-)

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Nov 2015, 23:30

Aaah Paris at New Year's Eve, how romantic.

The city centre will be deserted.

I'll be staying myself somewhere between Marseille and Toulon. Sorry can't come, it's an 8 hour drive and we have other plans. Could be there January 2nd (evening only) or 3rd, haven't booked yet halfway-ish back to the Netherlands.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

19 Nov 2015, 23:36

ramnes wrote: We were planning to make a meetup in January or so, maybe we could make it a bit sooner so we can have you. 8-)
Is there a thread for this somewhere?

webwit wrote: Aaah Paris at New Year's Eve, how romantic.

The city centre will be deserted.

I'll be staying myself somewhere between Marseille and Toulon. Sorry can't come, it's an 8 hour drive and we have other plans.
Dammit. That's exactly what I was afraid of. We'll only in Paris on New Years Eve because we don't want to be rushed if we take a train into Paris from elsewhere on January 1st. We have no interest in the New Years Eve festivities.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

24 Nov 2015, 01:31

Looks like I'll be in Paris for December 30 as well. If anybody will available then?

I'm also surprised at the cost of the lodging in Paris. Hotels in the big cities in the USA are much more than the prices I'm finding for Paris. We don't have these budget hotels.

Halvar

24 Nov 2015, 11:21

Attends que tu vois la chambre...

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

24 Nov 2015, 13:44

Halvar wrote: Attends que tu vois la chambre...
That is also something I'm afraid of. I don't have high standards, but I don't want to stay in shithole.

vsev

26 Nov 2015, 11:36

Hi,
Will not be there at this time, but can propose to have my place if that suits you, PM'd !

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

26 Nov 2015, 13:36

vsev wrote: Hi,
Will not be there at this time, but can propose to have my place if that suits you, PM'd !
Wow. That's awesome. Thanks. We will chat.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

30 Dec 2015, 09:28

Mmmm, cuisine français:
DSC_0427.JPG
DSC_0427.JPG (150.84 KiB) Viewed 4466 times

Halvar

30 Dec 2015, 09:42

Man, you're wasting your time ... :o

andrewjoy

30 Dec 2015, 14:59

You are eating Mac'ies ( Liverpool slang for MacDonalds ) in Paris when you could be in some amazing restaurant.

Hey do you know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese in France ?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Dec 2015, 15:06

andrewjoy wrote: Hey do you know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese in France ?
:lol: Good one Andrew!
Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG (26.71 KiB) Viewed 4430 times

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 Dec 2015, 15:11

Eating at MacDo when you could eat at Chartier

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

30 Dec 2015, 15:17

You are in the land that invented good food and you're eating at MacDo ..... I would somehow understand that in Germany but in France. Such a waste :(

andrewjoy

30 Dec 2015, 15:25

but in germany you can get amazing food anywhere

like this for example.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.52531 ... 56!6m1!1e1

best currywurst available at 2am

seebart

30 Dec 2015, 15:30

andrewjoy wrote: but in germany you can get amazing food anywhere

like this for example.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.52531 ... 56!6m1!1e1

best currywurst available at 2am
That's really only one step up from MCD. ;)

andrewjoy

30 Dec 2015, 15:38

it was nicer that the one i had in a fancy cafe , mmmm currywurst

seebart

30 Dec 2015, 15:47

andrewjoy wrote: it was nicer that the one i had in a fancy cafe , mmmm currywurst
I believe you. The "Currywurst Bude" is an institution in Germany. Like fish&chips in the UK.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

30 Dec 2015, 15:56

kbdfr wrote: Image

Eating at MacDo when you could eat at Chartier
And even, Chartier is okay if you want to lunch in a funny place, but for the taste there's much much better.

seebart

30 Dec 2015, 16:01

Viva goes to France.
OK let's not give our friend vivalarevolución too much flak. While you all are procrastinating :mrgreen: I'm doing serious work over here:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Micro_Switch_Hall_Effect

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

30 Dec 2015, 22:49

Don´t worry, boys, I have been eating very well. I did not choose the McDonalds, it was a stop on the highway on the way to a castle (Chambord), and my hosts wanted to show me the difference between an American McDonalds and a French McDonalds.

My visit has been filled with homemade french meals, apéritif, fromage, baguettes with butter and jam, pâté, desserts, fromage, wine, café, and other wonderful meals any time we eat out (even McDonalds). Did I mention fromage? Just today in Paris, I ate at two wonderful restaurants that would cost twice as much for the same quality in the United States.

If I never return to France, I will never eat this well again. I love the food here. I go to grocery store, and the average grocery store in France is equal to a high-end grocery store in the United States.

Excuse me, I have another plate of cheese to eat.

seebart

30 Dec 2015, 22:54

That's what I thought viva! :mrgreen: So when you get back home to the US you can have a Royale wit cheese. :lol:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

30 Dec 2015, 23:30

seebart wrote: That's what I thought viva! :mrgreen: So when you get back home to the US you can have a Royale wit cheese. :lol:
Barf. I eat fast food once every three or four months to remind myself why I don´t eat fast food.

I am finding the food in France to be not very expensive for the quality. For example, good baguettes for less than a dollar simply does not exist in the USA, to my knowledge. I will have to pay at least twice as much in the USA for the same quality both at the grocery store and restaurants. That, I will miss.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Dec 2015, 23:37

I've never seen so much police in France, it's quite striking. For example, before Christmas I drove past a school in a little town and parents were picking up their kids, and there were at least 10 uniforms, some with rifles. And yesterday I was in a big shopping mall in Toulon and there was always a uniform in sight.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

30 Dec 2015, 23:56

Where are you right now webwit? :)

seebart

31 Dec 2015, 00:02

vivalarevolución wrote:
seebart wrote: That's what I thought viva! :mrgreen: So when you get back home to the US you can have a Royale wit cheese. :lol:
Barf. I eat fast food once every three or four months to remind myself why I don´t eat fast food.
I eat fast food alright. German fast food. :mrgreen: Just not every day.
pommescurry.jpg
pommescurry.jpg (225.69 KiB) Viewed 4320 times

webwit
Wild Duck

31 Dec 2015, 00:18

ramnes wrote: Where are you right now webwit? :)
I'm staying in Bandol. It's as posh as I remembered it, lol. Hiking the coast line.
bandol1.jpg
bandol1.jpg (678.99 KiB) Viewed 4310 times
Fuck. Heights...
bandol2.jpg
bandol2.jpg (865.28 KiB) Viewed 4310 times

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

31 Dec 2015, 09:37

webwit wrote: I've never seen so much police in France, it's quite striking. For example, before Christmas I drove past a school in a little town and parents were picking up their kids, and there were at least 10 uniforms, some with rifles. And yesterday I was in a big shopping mall in Toulon and there was always a uniform in sight.
Yea, I have noticed this, too. Military guys with assault rifles can catch you off guard as you are strolling through the airport or walking down a city street.

seebart

02 Jan 2016, 01:28

This has little or nothing to do with Paris or this thread but it's great. Have a look at this it's about Trumps use of language:

http://www.nerdcore.de/2015/12/31/trumps-language/

Return to “Off-topic”