Commodore/Amiga Keyboards?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

25 Nov 2015, 02:57

I recently bought a Commodore Colt and took the keyboard from my Commodore PC20-III and used it to test. As it sat on the table I opened it up in true Deskthority fashion and found Cherry MX Black key switches in it. I looked up the Wiki and saw that the wiki shows the Commodore keyboard for the Cherry G80-499/1 I have. The wiki doesn't have a phot of the actual G80-499 label so here's a pic if it's needed:
Commodore Colt keyboard - Cherry G80-499/1 label
Commodore Colt keyboard - Cherry G80-499/1 label
Commodore Cherry G80-0499-1.jpg (312.25 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
I can start cracking open my other Commodore/Amiga keyboards but is there any interesting ones in the Commodore or Amiga lines? I do have most of them. In searching for the Commodore PC/Cherry keyboard, looks like the Amiga 1000 had a decent keyboard? I have an Amiga 1000 and I must say, at a quick glance, I have no idea what the key switch is on the keyboard.

klikkyklik

25 Nov 2015, 03:28

Hey there, Snuci - don't forget to utilize the DT wiki - it's the best.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Amiga

Looks from that like the A1000 had three variations. I'd always enjoyed typing on the A1000 I have. Some day I might have to pull the machine out of its (original) box and give it another try just for grins.

Be careful though, separation of keycaps from some Mitsumi switches might be troublesome.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

25 Nov 2015, 04:03

Thanks for that klikkyklik. I'm pretty sure my A1000 keyboard is a Mitsumi standard mechanical, type 2 but the picture in the wiki depicts a type 2 switch taken apart so it's hard to tell at first glance. That has to be it though.

i did take a quick look at some of the keyboards and those NMB Hi-teks on the A2000 and A2500 come apart no matter how careful I am. Luckily, they are easy to put back together. My 3000T has those Mitsumi hybrids with the "rubber cups". That was pretty interesting. Looks like I'm missing a couple of 4000 keyboards to have matching equipment. I'm guessing they need to be like the 3000T. I'll have to see what I can find (at a reasonable price).

I might have to take apart my 128D keyboard because it has springs under the key caps but it can't be foam and foil. I wonder if it's similar to the PET key boards?

terrycherry

25 Nov 2015, 10:02

Hope you can share more about NMB Hi-Tek switch on Amiga or Commodaore keyboard.
I have the Commodore Amiga 2000 which has the (Linear)Magenta but without the yellow one. Did you have the yellow one?
The Commodore 86keys keyboard has the very rare "Beige two laugh eyes" which I saw it at this forum. But the owner didn't show us more quality pictures.
And also the Amiga 500 with yellow switches.

andrewjoy

25 Nov 2015, 10:39

The one that came with the boxed amega at one point had NMB switches

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Nov 2015, 13:59

snuci wrote: I recently bought a Commodore Colt and took the keyboard from my Commodore PC20-III and used it to test. As it sat on the table I opened it up in true Deskthority fashion and found Cherry MX Black key switches in it. I looked up the Wiki and saw that the wiki shows the Commodore keyboard for the Cherry G80-499/1 I have. The wiki doesn't have a phot of the actual G80-499 label so here's a pic if it's needed:
Commodore Cherry G80-0499-1.jpg
I can start cracking open my other Commodore/Amiga keyboards but is there any interesting ones in the Commodore or Amiga lines? I do have most of them. In searching for the Commodore PC/Cherry keyboard, looks like the Amiga 1000 had a decent keyboard? I have an Amiga 1000 and I must say, at a quick glance, I have no idea what the key switch is on the keyboard.
I'll have a look what we might still need for our wiki Commodore wise. I got two pretty nice specimen, one being NMB Hi-Tek. We do have a good cross section already:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Category:Co ... _keyboards

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/cherr ... =commodore

I added my Cherry G80-05** NMB Hi-Tek keyboard but I do not know the official Cherry Product number! If anyone has that information please PM me thanks.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-0499

Return to “Keyboards”