Look what I got in the mail from an old friend!

huttala

26 Nov 2015, 09:26

He said that since I like "old crap keyboards" I might want this board.

It was not very clean when I got it.

But after some cleaning it turned out to be in very good condition and working 100% :D

The brown switches feel different though, they feel heavier than any browns I've tried before and the bump is almost non existent.

Here's some pics:

vsev

26 Nov 2015, 09:55

One of my (very) long time goals in keyboards, you can thank your friend a big time for sure !
Nice to see it well treated and ready to type on, enjoy the beauty.

CeeSA

26 Nov 2015, 09:56

very nice friend, and of course (beside the ISO) a wonderful board. ;)

huttala

26 Nov 2015, 10:32

Thanks!

Gotta say, it's not easy getting used to this board. But I'm using it for C coding at work, so at least it has a worthy home now. :D

andrewjoy

26 Nov 2015, 11:21

That is one nice cherry keyboard. Shame about the cherry switches, but its ok you can upgrade them

HzFaq

26 Nov 2015, 11:23

I'm pretty sure you'd be lynched by quite a few people here if you put Gaterons in an MX5000 :D!

Nice get though dude.

andrewjoy

26 Nov 2015, 11:24

I jest, vintage / old cherry switches are fine, its the modern crap thats worse than the clones.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

26 Nov 2015, 12:45

Your friend was right, that's an old crap. See how yellowed and shiny the keycaps are? You really should put your standards higher. And it's not even ANSI. Definitely, you should throw that away, and tell me where you did it.

huttala

26 Nov 2015, 12:53

ramnes wrote: Your friend was right, that's an old crap. See how yellowed and shiny the keycaps are? You really should put your standards higher. And it's not even ANSI. Definitely, you should throw that away, and tell me where you did it.
You might be right. 8-)

Anyway, how much is these boards worth nowadays?
I was actively searching for one 4~ years ago and have not been looking at recent pricing. I did not find anything at ebay or the ebay history.

HzFaq

26 Nov 2015, 12:57

NIB like £250ish, in that condition, half that maybe? I can see Pho's lurking, he'll give you a better estimate ;).

photekq
Cherry Picker

26 Nov 2015, 13:02

andrewjoy wrote: That is one nice cherry keyboard. Shame about the cherry switches, but its ok you can upgrade them
Don't you dare..
huttala wrote: Anyway, how much is these boards worth nowadays?
I was actively searching for one 4~ years ago and have not been looking at recent pricing. I did not find anything at ebay or the ebay history.
Since it's the NO model I think Hzza has got the prices just about right ;) DE and Portuguese are worth less though, since they're far more common. Particularly Portuguese.

huttala

26 Nov 2015, 13:07

photekq wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: That is one nice cherry keyboard. Shame about the cherry switches, but its ok you can upgrade them
Don't you dare..
huttala wrote: Anyway, how much is these boards worth nowadays?
Since it's the NO model I think Hzza has got the prices just about right ;) DE and Portuguese are worth less though, since they're far more common. Particularly Portuguese.
Okay, good to know.
Easier to not sell since the prices hasn't escalated.
Now I can slap some kailh switches on it and ANSI mod it without being worried about loosing to much money...

Just kidding, wont touch the switches, or the PCB for that matter, even if ANSI modding it would be nice. :D

t8c

26 Nov 2015, 13:30

Let me know if you are looking to sell the norwegian specific caps : )

Muirium
µ

26 Nov 2015, 13:48

photekq wrote: DE and Portuguese are worth less though, since they're far more common. Particularly Portuguese.
Inteyresting. DE I can understand, but PT is common too?

In any case, I could slum it with either kind of MX5000! I do touch type after all. But something tells me that even with DT's large Portuguese contingent, these aren't exactly growing on trees. Even if they sometimes do in the mail, you lucky bugger Huttala!

photekq
Cherry Picker

26 Nov 2015, 13:49

Muirium wrote: Inteyresting. DE I can understand, but PT is common too?

In any case, I could slum it with either kind of MX5000! I do touch type after all. But something tells me that even with DT's large Portuguese contingent, these aren't exactly growing on trees. Even if they sometimes do in the mail, you lucky bugger Huttala!
It's because there was a Portuguese webstore that still had plenty of stock of 5000s even just a few years ago. They're all long gone now, but there's plenty of them floating around because of it. A lot of them are still NIB.. That's why all 3 of my 5000s are HAMPO!

scottc

26 Nov 2015, 13:54

Yeah, definitely worth less... so I'll give you £100 for one then, alright?

andrewjoy

26 Nov 2015, 14:23

Its not worth 100 i will trade you for an AT101 !

huttala

26 Nov 2015, 14:24

I don't get it. Why would PO be worth less than NO? They are both ISO and it's easy to just change the caps with other Cherry original double shots? (Like I did with my board, it's US cherry original caps on it now. I do however understand why ANSI would be worth more than ISO or vise versa. But ISO vs ISO board? Nope, dun get it.

Is it the label underneath the board that matters?
I've never understood the rules of hoarding old stuff and what makes some stuff worth more than others.

Muirium
µ

26 Nov 2015, 17:33

You're forgetting all about the language specific spacebar! Wakey wakey, man.

photekq
Cherry Picker

26 Nov 2015, 17:33

huttala wrote: I don't get it. Why would PO be worth less than NO? They are both ISO and it's easy to just change the caps with other Cherry original double shots? (Like I did with my board, it's US cherry original caps on it now. I do however understand why ANSI would be worth more than ISO or vise versa. But ISO vs ISO board? Nope, dun get it.

I've never understood the rules of hoarding old stuff and what makes some stuff worth more than others.
Norwegian caps are very rare. I mean, I think I've seen about 4 or 5 Norwegian beige Cherry doubleshot sets. Good luck finding a board to get the caps from if you wanted to turn a HAMPO into a HAMNO ;)

tlt

26 Nov 2015, 18:08

Congratulations on getting board! I miss working for an old company mostly for the old stuff you could find in the recycling bin there.

huttala

27 Nov 2015, 10:20

photekq wrote:
huttala wrote: I don't get it. Why would PO be worth less than NO? They are both ISO and it's easy to just change the caps with other Cherry original double shots? (Like I did with my board, it's US cherry original caps on it now. I do however understand why ANSI would be worth more than ISO or vise versa. But ISO vs ISO board? Nope, dun get it.

Norwegian caps are very rare. I mean, I think I've seen about 4 or 5 Norwegian beige Cherry doubleshot sets. Good luck finding a board to get the caps from if you wanted to turn a HAMPO into a HAMNO ;)
Yeah, that I do understand. But how many Norwegians are there that cares about keyboards? Feels like most of the community would change the caps to German/UK.

tlt

27 Nov 2015, 18:16

Mix the norwegian with a german you almost have a swedish ;-)

Findecanor

27 Nov 2015, 21:25

With NO + DE to get SF, the "Stargate Key" and the missing \ symbol on the + key are the only differences.
Huttala: If you would actually do want black Gateron sliders, I've got about 70 spare brand new ones.
PCB-mounted switches should make it easy to open the switches up without desoldering.

huttala

29 Nov 2015, 21:42

Findecanor wrote: With NO + DE to get SF, the "Stargate Key" and the missing \ symbol on the + key are the only differences.
Huttala: If you would actually do want black Gateron sliders, I've got about 70 spare brand new ones.
PCB-mounted switches should make it easy to open the switches up without desoldering.
Thanks Findecanor, but I do not plan to swap the switches. I'm starting to get used to the old school browns now and they are good enough. I got other boards to try switches on, this one will be as un modified as possible. :)

Return to “Gallery”