TenKeyLess keyboard WITH NumPad...

Cherry1990

25 Nov 2015, 19:53

TenKeyLess keyboard with NumPad? Strange question? Yes, can be... :mrgreen:

I would like to try this type of keyboard but I really need some special keys (like the "*", "+" and "-").

I saw that Topre Realforce 87UW has an "embedded" NumPad. That is fine but, this keyboard, is almost impossible to find in Europe... I found the Kül but I don't know if it has this option, I don't think...

Do you know another TenKeyLess keyboard that has an "embedded" NumPad like the Topre?
And that is available in ANSI US in Europe?

Thank you! ;)

Muirium
µ

25 Nov 2015, 20:07

The Realforce isn't hard to find in Europe, it's just eye wateringly expensive. The Keyboard Company sells them for £192 (including tax) = 274 Euros!

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/usa- ... yboard.asp

At least they have the ANSI US models you want. But beware: that embedded numpad doesn't work on the Mac. Only on PCs. Topre implemented it a strange way that doesn't simply toggle to numpad keycodes when engaged. Works fine on Windows / Linux PC though.

Of course, one of my favourite keyboards — the original Tenkeyless IBM SSK — has this feature and works just fine everywhere, including the Mac so long as you have a USB converter.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

25 Nov 2015, 22:25

It seems like this would be a good feature to have in your keyboard firmware of choice, e.g. TMK, Kiibohd, what have you.

As for the Mac I think it's more that Macs simply don't acknowledge Num Lock at all and always interpret the num pad as a numeric key pad. I think the Realforce only starts emitting numpad key codes when Num Lock is enabled after communication with the host.

Good luck.

Stabilized

25 Nov 2015, 23:26

I know it is not really what you asked for in your first post, but have you considered a Cherry g80 1800 layout keyboard?
They are marginally wider than a TKL (assuming you are choosing a TKL for its ergonomic advantages), and has all the keys including the numpad.

They can often be picked up cheap, so keep an eye out on eBay. They are also PCB mounted Cherry switches, so they are really easy to mod if you don't like the ones that come with your board.

Cherry1990

26 Nov 2015, 00:17

> The Keyboard Company sells...
Yes, true. But it is not in stock, until 2016 or more... And, unfortunately, EUR is real trash against GBP... :(
I would like to have some more options...

> doesn't work on the Mac
Mac?!? What is "Mac"? I don't know... :mrgreen:

> Tenkeyless IBM SSK
Nice to know nut, if I am not wrong, this keyboard is rare and expensive... :(

> It seems like this would be a good feature to have in your keyboard firmware of choice, e.g. TMK, Kiibohd, what have you.
What do you mean? Mmm... Unfortunately I don't have the time to write my own firmware or to modify the available one... But can be a possible solution...

> Cherry g80 1800
Yes... I thought about it long time ago, but I think it is not the "perfect" solution... I already made a big mistake buying the Pok3r... Great keyboard, I love it, but to tiring to use for me...

Muirium
µ

26 Nov 2015, 01:27

Their site is terrible. Control + F for "Realforce" on this ugly list:

http://www.keyboardco.com/index.asp

Most models are in stock. Including the black version of the one you're looking for. Just bear in mind the prices aren't the Euro's fault. Keyboard Co. charges a fortune for Topre, full stop.

A much cheaper option would indeed be one of those Cherry G80-1800s that Stabilized mentioned. Not my kind of board at all though. I'd investigate Realforces on Amazon Japan and using Tenso to import one…

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/put ... t9413.html

bhtooefr

26 Nov 2015, 01:48

How about this? Not a true Tenkeyless, but still interesting:

http://www.cmstore.eu/parts-replacement ... wn-switch/

Your only choice is MX Brown, though, but in Europe, in ANSI layout, and somewhat resembling reasonably priced.

Cherry1990

26 Nov 2015, 09:04

> Most models are in stock. Including...
Thank you, already checked. After a couple of black keycaps keyboards I understood that black is not my colour... White/cream keycaps are more easy to use in the night...

> Quick Fire TK
Thank you for the link. Sounds interesting... It is the old model (4020 instead 4040), I will check. Old models seem to have LEDs problems...

One thing I cannot understand: why Realforce are so hard to find in Europe? Ok, don't tell me that KeyboardCo... etc. They keep very low stocks... Are they to expensive for poor Europeans? :(

ImbaHue

26 Nov 2015, 10:25

@Mu
Is 250eur shipped for a Realforce good enough?

I can snag one using my work company. I did this once with my Filco only paying 100gbp + shipping instead of 100gbp + shipping + tax.

@Cherry1990
Try if your work company can help you. I know it's not the best choice.

Cherry1990

26 Nov 2015, 10:36

ImbaHue wrote: I can snag one using my work company...
Do you mean if the company pay or save the VAT for you? If you are the company owner or the boss, you can do it but, otherwise, is not possible...
Unfortunately skip VAT is not possible (for me)... And, outside UK, gli have also the INTRASTAT problem...

ImbaHue

26 Nov 2015, 10:42

No, I'm not the boss and yes, Bought in ex-VAT.

Bought the Filco from KeyboardCo and told my finance manager if it's possible to skipped the VAT.

And she bought it for me and just charge me with what I'm supposed to pay ex-VAT.

Exactly, this is what I did. We are just a small company though.

Too bad you can't use this option though. 50eur is still 50eur (for me).

Cherry1990

26 Nov 2015, 10:49

50€ are always 50€ also for me... If you are a small company, with clever people, you can do it, but it is not "normal" for all... :(

shreebles
Finally 60%

26 Nov 2015, 13:48

Cherry1990 wrote:
> Tenkeyless IBM SSK
Nice to know nut, if I am not wrong, this keyboard is rare and expensive... :(
It's rare, and expensive, and worth it.
Really, it's not as rare as you might think.
They pop up every now and then, often under 200€.

Muirium
µ

26 Nov 2015, 13:49

There's a bunch on Amazon actually…

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

Expensive, yes. But magnificent boards. If you can stand buckling spring!

andrewjoy

26 Nov 2015, 14:25

Why would you buy an SSK when you can have a 62 key or 77 key F :P

I must say however that the SSK is special, its one of the best looking keyboards ever made, and its just makes you smile when you see it or touch it.

Muirium
µ

26 Nov 2015, 15:42

Why buy a racehorse when you can buy a unicorn?

I have both. The SSK is still a fantastic board. Just not as literally so as the Kishy!

Cherry1990

27 Nov 2015, 10:10

Isn't the SSK bigger than a modern TenKeyLess keyboard?
I would like to save space on my desk (and have the mouse bear to my left hand). Probably the IBM are too big... Or not?

I have two Model M, lovely, but for normal use the MX Brown are less tiring (for me!).

IBM keyboards are like supercars: you use them during holiday or week-end, not every day to go to the work... Unless you are not the boss! :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2015, 14:05

Unless you *are* the boss! I use IBMs all week. Then the HHKB when I'm travelling.

The SSK is a bit bigger than a modern TKL. But not much difference in width. Certainly I find a modem fullsize way bigger on my desk than my trusty SSK.

Cherry1990

27 Nov 2015, 20:47

Sorry, you are correct, I add a "not" in the wrong place...
I wil try to find the dimension of an SSK keyboard, I was thinking that it was bigger... My full size Model M are a lot bigger then my Ducky...

But, at the and, I cannot think that IBM and Topre are the ONLY manufacturer who make a TenKeyLess with embedded NumPad...

I wrote to Kul, but they never reply. God customer service... I never buy a Kul keyboard! :evil:

chzel

27 Nov 2015, 21:25

The SSK is just under 41cm wide.

Daniel

28 Nov 2015, 12:07

Have you considered the Coolermaster Quickfire TK?

http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Deta ... re-tk.html

EDIT: Sorry, for reposting a link to the same keyboard. I should have read the complete thread in detail before posting... :oops:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

28 Nov 2015, 21:53

I was going to say the Cooler Master, but somebody beat me to it.

Although if you plan to use a numberpad for all your number entry, I wouldn't recommend it. It is good to have that number row for entering a few numbers every now and then.

Cherry1990

29 Nov 2015, 00:42

chzel wrote: The SSK is just under 41cm wide.
Thank you!

The Topre is 36.6 cm (4.4 cm less).
The Cooler Master Quick Fire TK is 37.75 mm (3.25 cm less).

To make a comparison with my present keyboard (Ducky Premier, full size): 44 cm (35.8 cm "without" NumPad).

I don't need the NumPad for numbers but for "*", "-" and "+" keys. I use them a lot.

Cherry1990

30 Nov 2015, 08:41

Kul keyboards have replied me: no embedded Numeric Pad inside their keyboards...

Honestly I think that would be a real surplus for a TenKeyLess keyboard to have it... Topre Realforce and IBM SSK have it... It would be like climbing Mount Olympus... ;)

Hope Topre will come back to Europe...

trenzafeeds

30 Nov 2015, 10:29

I have a CM TK, wouldn't exactly recommend it because it has awful stock caps and a non-standard bottom row which makes replacing caps hard. It's certainly an interesting layout though, I don't know why more people don't make boards like it.

ImbaHue

30 Nov 2015, 10:44

ANSI Topre TKL 55g board is available in KeyboardCo since 2 weeks ago.

You may want to grab one while stocks last. No need to wait for 2016!

Cherry1990

30 Nov 2015, 21:25

I would like the 87 variable, white keycaps... It is out of stock... :(
Hope to still have a job next year, to pay it! :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

30 Nov 2015, 21:27

Seriously: save yourself money and a wait by importing. Keyboard Co. is nightmarishly overpriced. EK is good. Amazon Japan is better.

Return to “Keyboards”