Topre introducing RGB, actuation control and analog switches

Topre Enthusiast

20 May 2015, 10:25

Topre are going to demo some new stuff at Computex (2nd - 6th of June). I'm allowed to spill the beans on what it will be in a DESKTHORITY exclusive news story :D

1. RGB switches
Not sure how it's going to be implemented. I asked whether or not there would be new keycaps made by Topre but unfortunately he wasn't sure. This will be a crowd pleaser for the gamer/bling crowd, and my guess is they will probably make their way into OEM boards (e.g. NovaTouch) before they would appear in a Realforce.

2. Actuation Control
Most of you are probably familiar with the Realforce prototype with the dial on it to adjust the actuation point...
Spoiler:
Well, Topre have apparently come up with a more elegant solution that will enable the user to control actuation via software. Not yet known if this will work with current Realforces. Will update later if I hear more info.

3. Analog Switches
I only found out about this one today. What this means is that we could have pressure sensitive switches. The applications here are pretty obvious but some that spring to mind:
  • Control walk speed of a character or speed of a car in a video-game
  • Emulate a piano or other musical instrument
  • Control scroll speed through an excel document
  • Use cursor keys to control mouse pointer movement
It all sounds pretty cool to me. I expressed my concerns about 2 and 3 and how well they would work with Topre's tactile switches. The current implementation for the actuation control and analog switches is on their existing switch design. The 30-35g Topre switch is probably the most appropriate for this new tech, but we'll have to wait and see if anything has to change in that regard...maybe a heavier spring is in order?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 May 2015, 10:33

002 wrote: 3. Analog Switches
I only found out about this one today. What this means is that we could have pressure sensitive switches. The applications here are pretty obvious but some that spring to mind:
Are you f**&@&*^@#()ing kidding me?! This would really be amazing! Looking forward to seeing how this will be implemented... yeah and rgb switches... whatever...

Topre Enthusiast

20 May 2015, 10:44

Haha I expected that the RGB would have a lukewarm reaction here at best :)
The other stuff is really cool! Looks like Microsoft dabbled in pressure sensitive keyboard at one point too.

wlhlm
~

20 May 2015, 10:51

That sounds amazing, but why can I trust you didn't make something up completely? What is your affiliation with Topre?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 May 2015, 10:56

wlhlm wrote: That sounds amazing, but why can I trust you didn't make something up completely? What is your affiliation with Topre?
hahahah very German :)

chzel

20 May 2015, 11:00

At the rate 002 gets his Topres, he must be in some sort of "Hall of Fame" in their HQ!
:P

Topre Enthusiast

20 May 2015, 11:03

Hey wlhlm! You didn't call into question my integrity when I told you I'd let you try a Realforce for a week :lol:
I don't work for Topre or anything. If I'm telling fibs, you will find out in less than a month :)

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

20 May 2015, 11:04

wlhlm wrote: That sounds amazing, but why can I trust you didn't make something up completely? What is your affiliation with Topre?
Because

wlhlm
~

20 May 2015, 11:10

002 wrote: Hey wlhlm! You didn't call into question my integrity when I told you I'd let you try a Realforce for a week :lol:
I don't work for Topre or anything. If I'm telling fibs, you will find out in less than a month :)
I'm relatively fresh to this community, so I wasn't sure what to think of the post, could've been a joke, since I don't immediately associate Topre with Blinkenlights (RGB). :twisted: Though I noticed you have something going for Topre when I read the import guide and joined the Realforce tour. :)
Last edited by wlhlm on 20 May 2015, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

20 May 2015, 11:11

Really really interesting! Now where is HHKBBT!? :evil:

wlhlm
~

20 May 2015, 11:11

ramnes wrote:
Because
Spoiler:
This is 002's collection? :shock: :o :o

Holy moly.....

HzFaq

20 May 2015, 11:13

HHKBBT sounds like something a frog with a cough would say.

Points 2 and 3 are really interesting, couldn't care less about RGB lighting.

Khers

20 May 2015, 11:47

HzFaq wrote: HHKBBT sounds like something a frog with a cough would say.

Points 2 and 3 are really interesting, couldn't care less about RGB lighting.
I agree with this statement. RGB is bollocks, the rest is pretty interesting

HzFaq

20 May 2015, 11:52

I've been thinking on this for a few minutes, isn't the variable actuation point kind of pointless on a switch that crumples after a certain point? You can either set the point pre-crumple, in which case a passing breeze could probably activate the switch, or post-crumple in which case its more or less activating on bottom out.

Or am I misunderstanding how it/Topre switches work, I'll admit I'm not a Topre expert by any stretch.

Muirium
µ

20 May 2015, 11:57

Notably, these features have a theme: software. Sending analog key presses to the host computer is well beyond the USB HID spec. It will need a driver. Likewise, communicating with the controller to tell it to alter actuation point can't be done over standard USB. If they've got something unifying all these things, perhaps the lighting could be controlled in software too?

Hopefully not proprietary Windows only software! But that's all I can imagine if this is how they're doing it.

But here's a second thought. What if the software they mention is running on the controller instead, and all interactions with it are via keyboard combos? That'd be much nicer, in some ways, though wouldn't fully explain the analog switch idea. Well unless they're doing that as a hokey way to alter key repeat rate!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 May 2015, 12:02

scottc wrote: Really really interesting! Now where is HHKBBT!? :evil:
listen to this guy

Muirium
µ

20 May 2015, 12:04

Agreed. Bluetooth Topre would be the biggest upgrade ever. Compared to every one of these features, Bluetooth is 1000 times more useful!
HzFaq wrote: I've been thinking on this for a few minutes, isn't the variable actuation point kind of pointless on a switch that crumples after a certain point? You can either set the point pre-crumple, in which case a passing breeze could probably activate the switch, or post-crumple in which case its more or less activating on bottom out.

Or am I misunderstanding how it/Topre switches work, I'll admit I'm not a Topre expert by any stretch.
Nope. You're spot on. Variable activation is a nice feature but not a killer one on Topre, as far as I can tell. But I'm keen to try it out though. It might be quite a subtle effect. Or crazy! Besides, I like both light and heavy switches. Wonder if we can dial it in at different values for different keys…

Topre Enthusiast

20 May 2015, 12:09

You will be able to adjust it per key. Strangely when I asked about this, the answer was that actuation point could *only* be changed per key, not the whole keyboard at once...not sure if this is something lost in translation or a hint as to how it will be implemented (Mu's comment on a more universal approach in mind here...)

Muirium
µ

20 May 2015, 12:13

Key combo overdrive FTW!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

20 May 2015, 12:46

I think analog is a much more interesting feature than Bluetooth. I personally don't see any interest in a Bluetooth keyboard, but that's just me. :)

Muirium
µ

20 May 2015, 13:00

Look at this this very thread. You can *see* the intense interest in Bluetooth Topre even if you don't *agree* with it.

We've written to Topre. They're in a similar position!

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

20 May 2015, 13:01

I worry that Topre will become this gimmicky thing, instead of a premium experience. We'll have to wait and see.

Muirium
µ

20 May 2015, 13:10

Spikebolt wrote: I worry that Topre will become this gimmicky thing, instead of a premium experience. We'll have to wait and see.
Something tells me this one's for Topre's OEM partners, especially Coller Master. Like 002 said:
002 wrote: 1. RGB switches
Not sure how it's going to be implemented. I asked whether or not there would be new keycaps made by Topre but unfortunately he wasn't sure. This will be a crowd pleaser for the gamer/bling crowd, and my guess is they will probably make their way into OEM boards (e.g. NovaTouch) before they would appear in a Realforce.
Got to remember that Topre is partnered up with several companies, including CM's NovaTouch on the low end, and PFU's HHKB on the high. They've all got Topre domes and PCBs.

Bluetooth, meanwhile, would be the perfect feature for high end boards. Elegant. Freeing desktop clutter. Much better for use with tablet computers. It's amazing to me how few mechs are Bluetooth, when I've been using it for years and years for my mouse! Wires are obsolescent.

hasu

20 May 2015, 13:25

Analog switch? It would be intriguing If they are going to revive mysterious RealPoint in 2015.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

20 May 2015, 13:49

I don't even have a huge appeal toward topre boards, and this looks really cool. god this board will cost so much though and topre boards are already so expensive...

chzel

20 May 2015, 14:47

ramnes wrote: I think analog is a much more interesting feature than Bluetooth. I personally don't see any interest in a Bluetooth keyboard, but that's just me. :)
Implementation of the analog part would be crucial. Software support and cross platform compatibility is key. Otherwise it could become a gimmick more useless than RGB!

As for BT, I guess a lot of people use their keyboards with laptops and tablets and would rather avoid wires.
I am a desktop guy...no sympathy from me!

Muirium
µ

20 May 2015, 14:54

Even when I'm at my desk, wires piss me off. Think of the asymmetry. Have you ever tried to lay them perfectly straight?

I can forgive a big beefy coiled cord, like an XT's, and some wires are of course quite pretty in their own right. But every time I snag one on something I cry out BLUETOOTH!! so loudly I can be heard from space.

chzel

20 May 2015, 15:11

My desk is usually too cluttered to notice the cable, so I don't really mind!

andrewjoy

20 May 2015, 15:15

Same, cables have never bothered me , i don't like them all messy mind but the cables themselves , not an issue.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

20 May 2015, 15:22

My cables on my boards are always behind my desk against the wall. I never really see them. All I can see on my Wyseverter box is the nice coiled cable while the ugly black USB cable is hidden against the wall.

Return to “News”