LBOTS (Dare-U LBOTS) TKL

zts

15 May 2015, 10:01

One of those Chinese brands without a clear name of manufacturer. Transparency in Chinese industry and relationship among different companies cloning each other's products is all but confusing. Also many products come with Chinese-only directions, websites, etc., which is not helpful. Anyways, LBOTS is one of the brands that many associate with similar KBs, like FlashGet and its possible Nordic version, Arachnid http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/ara ... t=FlashGet. I haven't seen any proof of that LBOTS, FlashGet, etc. are the same company, but they may be "cloning" each other. The most plausible options are that either LBOTS is maybe a smaller independent manufacturer or operates under Togran Electronics umbrella (that also produces LBOTS keyboard software).

Anyways, LBOTS TKL is an attractive mechanical gaming keyboard that feels solid, is backlit, and seems that a considerable time has been spent on esthetics. The KB works right out-of-the-box on Windows 7 (64), but there is a downloadable software for it so you can define every single key if you want. Backlight options are plentiful in terms of dim/brighter and the legends are clearly visible when backlight is turned off.

Pros:
- attractive design
- metal alloy top
- backlight for those who like it (WASD, arrows, and some other keys automatically backlit in a different color)
- braided USB
- attractive backlights combo (light blue and orange on this one)
- many different chassis/keycaps color options when buying
- relatively affordable (as in under $100 and could be found for around $70)
- programmable keys, or as translated, "All keys on the keyboard are programmable (including single keys, combination keys and macro keys)"

Neutral:
- ABS caps of medium thickness
- Kailh switches (I think Cherry MX could also be found in some of these KBs)
- while it has alloy top, the KB is not too heavy, not too light ... but, for example, the new Poker 3 is significantly heavier keyboard

Cons:
- website, directions, etc. in Chinese only (hope you don't need support ... ever)
- due to above, finding a legitimate KB (optional) software download is very difficult
- fixed USB cable

Packaging and KB:
lbots_1.jpeg
lbots_1.jpeg (273.57 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
lbots_2.jpeg
lbots_2.jpeg (321.67 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
lbots_3.jpeg
lbots_3.jpeg (332.95 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
Back label:
lbots_4.jpeg
lbots_4.jpeg (400.62 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
Kailh (black switch), LEDs:
lbots_5.jpeg
lbots_5.jpeg (530.49 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
lbots_6.jpeg
lbots_6.jpeg (368.92 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
KB rear:
lbots_7.jpeg
lbots_7.jpeg (184.54 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
Lights on (without and with flash):
lbots_8.jpeg
lbots_8.jpeg (219.19 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
lbots_10.jpeg
lbots_10.jpeg (261.25 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
lbots_11.jpeg
lbots_11.jpeg (213.06 KiB) Viewed 5587 times

eldorange

15 May 2015, 10:23

Nice silver color casing. I like the tiger logo except the printed LBOT and Chinese characters

acolombo

15 May 2015, 10:27

That's the same keyboard of the attempted scam on Aliexpress past November. They were selling them for a couple dollars with a 15$ shipping. Many redditors bought them but I think everyone got refunded...

meow a cat

15 May 2015, 10:30

eldorange wrote: Nice silver color casing. I like the tiger logo except the printed LBOT and Chinese characters
I thought the same too, except I don't mind the chinese characters. The tiger is actually pretty cool, and the case is pretty nice.

I don't like the logo on the back of the board at all though, and no removable cable?

Looks like an alright board for the price.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 May 2015, 10:30

not my cup of tea but I like the look in that last picture.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

15 May 2015, 14:16

Pretty good backlighting for a board like that, but its really disturbing how the caps lock, scroll lock, and prsctn keys don't have any.

meow a cat

15 May 2015, 14:37

Redmaus wrote: Pretty good backlighting for a board like that, but its really disturbing how the caps lock, scroll lock, and prsctn keys don't have any.
It's probably because they're not activated. I had a Ducky Shine 3, and caps and scroll lock didn't light up unless they were on.

Muirium
µ

15 May 2015, 14:42

Yeah, Ducky does it the same way. And no one likes it. Why not put dual colour LEDs under those specific keys? (Way cheaper and smaller than RGB LEDs incidentally.) Independent lock indicators which light up "on top of" the backlight make more sense than breaking the whole concept of uniform lighting.

Real smart, guys!

meow a cat

15 May 2015, 14:59

Muirium wrote: Yeah, Ducky does it the same way. And no one likes it. Why not put dual colour LEDs under those specific keys? (Way cheaper and smaller than RGB LEDs incidentally.) Independent lock indicators which light up "on top of" the backlight make more sense than breaking the whole concept of uniform lighting.

Real smart, guys!
Yeah, that would make sense, they should do that!

Something I thought would be better too, is if the LED turned off when they were active. That way you still have uniform backlighting 95% of the time, and they don't have to put a different type of LED in.

Now that I think about it, since Ducky does firmware updates for their boards to add features, they could easily push a firmware update to reverse the indicator LEDs on boards people have already bought..

andrewjoy

15 May 2015, 15:18

why don't they just have transparent cases for the switches ( like cherry RBG ) and then have some crazy bright SMD led under the whole plate.

That way it will look more defused ( not much light coming out form under keys

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

15 May 2015, 15:25

meow a cat wrote:
Redmaus wrote: Pretty good backlighting for a board like that, but its really disturbing how the caps lock, scroll lock, and prsctn keys don't have any.
It's probably because they're not activated. I had a Ducky Shine 3, and caps and scroll lock didn't light up unless they were on.

Ohh okay that makes sense. But that still doesn't explain the prnscn key.

meow a cat

15 May 2015, 15:28

Redmaus wrote:
meow a cat wrote:

Ohh okay that makes sense. But that still doesn't explain the prnscn key.
Winlock maybe? Since it's a 'gaming' board. My QFR has a winlock LED under F9, which is a pretty random spot.

Maybe this board uses FN + print screen to enable winlock?

I feel like if there really weren't any LEDs under those keys, OP would have mentioned that because that would be really weird.

Edit: It says all of the keys are programmable, PRTSCR LED could have something to do with that?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

15 May 2015, 15:34

andrewjoy wrote: why don't they just have transparent cases for the switches ( like cherry RBG ) and then have some crazy bright SMD led under the whole plate.

That way it will look more defused ( not much light coming out form under keys
I think one big LED would be significantly cheaper too.

Muirium
µ

15 May 2015, 15:36

Maybe a nice toasty grill under there, to warm us up in winter and to heat the occasional slice of pizza.

zts

15 May 2015, 16:52

yep, these 3 keys are not lit unless activated. LEDs when activated: CapsLock - blue backlight; Game Mode (Fn+PrntScrn) - orange; ScrlLock - blue

Return to “Gallery”