Unknown Marquardt switch?

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

28 Sep 2015, 00:53

I bought an industrial pad that looked fun from a local classified ad, and it turned out to be something that I didn't expect.

Here is the pad:

The first thing I noticed was how strange was the case. It is made from aluminium but is 90% empty, and the sound when you type on the key is just so weird because of that.

The PCB (and the whole thing) looks old school. The serial connector broke when I opened the case.

The keycaps are dye sublimated, in a strange profile. They feel just like Cherry PBT.

But hey, what are those switches?

I couldn't find any documentation about them. They have a cross mount, are very easy to open and seems overall pretty well designed. You can see the Marquardt logo on the housing.

The cross-mount is Cherry compatible:

Overall, those switches are really interesting in their feelings. They have a lot of hysteresis, but it personally doesn't bother me. They are really scratchy but much more tactile than Cherry MX switches. I guess that with a small amount of lube, they could be divine.

Their sound is really weird, but somewhat similar to Topre switches in the "thock" when the stem goes up.

Here is a little typing test, with a towel behind the PCB so that the sound is the closest possible from the pure switch sound :
Does anyone have more information about that switch?

Chyros

28 Sep 2015, 01:28

Those are tactile? Oo They look and sound just like linear switches oO .

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

28 Sep 2015, 01:33

Look the video again, at 0:05. ;)

Chyros

28 Sep 2015, 01:40

Yeah I saw that, but it doesn't look like one discreet, well-defined bump there, it looks more like a series of bumps, or a very scratchy keyfeel xD . I have one board with (very bad) linear switches that look a bit like that when pressed.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

28 Sep 2015, 01:54

Bumps are well defined and shared between all the switches at the exact same points. My camera battery is recharging right now but I could make an other video later to show it if you want.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

28 Sep 2015, 02:26

Neat! Haven't seen these before :mrgreen:

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

28 Sep 2015, 02:34

Oh man, I've found a switch that HaaTa didn't, that's a big step for me here!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

28 Sep 2015, 04:13

Just for Chyros:

Chyros

28 Sep 2015, 10:03

Cool :) . I wasn't doubting you or anything btw, I just thought they looked a bit weird. Nice find! Are they reminiscent of any other switches or do they feel quite unique?

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

28 Sep 2015, 10:32

I don't know any other similar switch, they seem rather unique to me.

There's still a lot of obscure switches that I never experienced, though!

vsev

28 Sep 2015, 12:30

Very nice and insteresting catch here, bravo !

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Sep 2015, 13:08

When I have time I'd like to add those switches to our wiki. Nice find.

andrewjoy

28 Sep 2015, 13:21

They even sound scratchy. Always nice to see a new switch. They remind me of the MX comparable topre sliders

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

28 Sep 2015, 14:15

seebart wrote: When I have time I'd like to add those switches to our wiki. Nice find.
Feel free to use any picture here for the wiki. :)
andrewjoy wrote: They even sound scratchy. Always nice to see a new switch. They remind me of the MX comparable topre sliders
Yeah, I've even tried to put them in a Topre slider actually, but it's not the same diameter. :lol:

And yeah, they really are scratchy. I don't know if it is due to the switch's design or how exposed to dust and stuff the pad was.

terrycherry

29 Sep 2015, 05:14

Great aluminium case and the never seen switch photos. It's tactile not linear.

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

16 Nov 2016, 07:50

I've added a force curve here -> photos-f62/marquardt-keypad-1989-t15100.html

drevyek

16 Nov 2016, 08:24

HaaTa wrote: I've added a force curve here -> photos-f62/marquardt-keypad-1989-t15100.html
What an odd force curve! An inverse tactile bump- a tactile trough.

Return to “Gallery”