Ultimate Room Tour

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Oct 2014, 17:50

I'd love to run a retro-computer museum... anyone with me? :)

andrewjoy

18 Oct 2014, 18:10

i have always wanted to do that too

mr_a500

18 Oct 2014, 18:16

You mean like this? http://www.pcmuseum.ca/index.asp
(I've been there.)

I'm close to starting my own museum. I was shocked to discover that I have at least 25 of the computers listed (and some more not listed): http://www.pcmuseum.ca/computerDetails.asp

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Oct 2014, 18:27

There are many around the world wondering what would be the feasibility of such a thing

mr_a500

18 Oct 2014, 18:40

I'd like to see HaaTa start a travelling "Vintage Keyboard Museum", with visits to Canada, UK, Ireland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Sweden, The Netherlands, USA... and if there's time, Scotland.

(notice how I didn't include Scotland in the UK :mrgreen:)

Muirium
µ

18 Oct 2014, 18:55

Who's providing the campervan?

Imagine that, but with vastly better, and less capable, computers.

Muirium
µ

18 Oct 2014, 21:00

Findecanor wrote:
matt3o wrote: Also, why the hell radeon?! nvidia just released the 970M and 980M!
Yes, just. Too late to get into Apple's development cycle.

Hmm... I think Apple also has to keep ordering from both NVidia and AMD both to keep them both interested in developing Mac drivers.
There's also this interesting speculation by Anandtech:
Meanwhile driving the new display are AMD’s Radeon R9 M290X and R9 M295X, which replace the former NVIDIA GTX 700M parts. We don’t have any performance data on the M295X, though our best guess is to expect R9 285-like performance (with a large over/under). If Apple is fudging the DisplayPort specification to get a single DisplayPort stream, then no doubt AMD has been helping on this matter as one of the most prominent DisplayPort supporters.
Displayport isn't currently fast enough to handle 5K. If you stick to the spec, that is. But inside your own box, you don't have to play by the rules!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Oct 2014, 00:04

Like I said 10 posts ago...

HAL

21 Oct 2014, 17:49

matt3o wrote: I'd love to run a retro-computer museum... anyone with me? :)
something like this
img_0248.jpg
img_0248.jpg (821.51 KiB) Viewed 2953 times

Madhias
BS TORPE

21 Oct 2014, 20:56

I spot a 20 Schilling note!

andrewjoy

21 Oct 2014, 22:03

i was thinking more rare stuff like PDP11's VAXes that kind of stuff, get several vaxes to show how advanced the networking was in VMS some old suns SGis IBMs and so on. That kind of thing would be amazing.

And then we could go on a cat burger mission to steal the TX-0

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Oct 2014, 23:12

both rare and more common stuff. you got to have both covered :) But it's just a dream I'm afraid.

Batmann

12 Nov 2014, 23:24

that room is.....scary!
I wouldn't be surprised if the owner had his brain bitten too

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Nov 2014, 01:17

I remember this being (in my time-capsule view of the industry!) state of the art for the hardware available:
I still don't know what sort of trickery was used to scroll just part of the screen when most people couldn't even scroll the whole screen.

You could scroll vertically by treating the screen memory area as a ring buffer (moving the start-of-frame address and letting the video chip wrap the memory offsets to complete the frame); horizontal full-screen scrolling must have been based on that. Note that there's no hardware sprites involved here; I didn't even learn what those were for years.

Repton on the other hand had visible scrolling artefacts:
You can see some at the top of the screen near the beginning, but in my experience it was a lot worse, especially at the sides of the screen as I recall.

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Nov 2014, 01:19

Curses. I had an earlier page up and then replied having forgotten which page I was on (having followed Matt3o's backtrack link) … Hence random senseless post.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Nov 2014, 09:37

not sure I get it, but being Daniel's post, I believe everything's fine :)

Daniel Beardsmore

14 Nov 2014, 09:46

Why?

I was looking at the bottom of the previous page.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Nov 2014, 09:53

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Why?

I was looking at the bottom of the previous page.
oh now it makes sense! thanks.

simply add a quote to the referring message and you're good to go.

woody
Count Troller

14 Nov 2014, 11:31

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I still don't know what sort of trickery was used to scroll just part of the screen when most people couldn't even scroll the whole screen.
Looks like rapid byte-sized redraw.

Return to “Keyboards”