GH-moderation strikes again!

7bit

28 May 2013, 12:16

I just reminded everybody that they can have the same switches for 0.54 EUR instead of ~0.62 EUR (0.54 GBP) at slightly lower shipping costs and posted a link to my CherryMX group buy.

This is the result:
pexon.png
pexon.png (65.84 KiB) Viewed 7336 times
:roll:

I guess the place where they moved my posts to is called http://www.geekhack.org/dev/null .

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 May 2013, 12:57

I think they call it threadcrapping and it's against their rules.

Muirium
µ

28 May 2013, 12:58

I'd hate to live in the world where DT is the site that looks like the peak of early 1980s bathroom fashion.

longweight
key-bored

28 May 2013, 13:00

Although the marketplace currently has no set rules.

ne0phyte
Toast.

28 May 2013, 13:03

I don't understand why he would start his own Cherry GB if he can't compete with other peoples prices.
Or did he order his switches from you? :lol:

Muirium
µ

28 May 2013, 13:10

There's something truly skeezy about the way things go missing there. Sellers giving competitors the finger is the most obvious part of it. But why are so many links to perfectly informative / non-shilling GH threads dead? I know they have (had?) a hacking problem over there, but is that why things "move" so much?

Doesn't pass the sniff test. I don't know what's fishy, but I'm having no part of it.

Halvar

28 May 2013, 13:23

Their rules for the GB forum are pretty clear:
2) Threadcrapping: If you aren't interested in joining a group buy, STAY OUT OF THE GROUP BUY THREAD. This goes doubly so if you disagree with the way the buy is being run, the product being purchased, or have any other complaint not relevant to buying into the group buy. Repeat offenders put themselves in danger of moderator action.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36773.0

Apart from these rules being pretty inadequate imo, and this not being a group buy at all either but a standard offer by a professional dealer, the moderator actually just followed their rules, much to the delight of the seller of course.

webwit
Wild Duck

28 May 2013, 13:53

Become moderator of reddit keyboards, sell all in hidden auctions, give everyone the middle finger, quit keyboards?

ne0phyte
Toast.

28 May 2013, 14:00

What I hate the most is that many dead GH threads show up on Google or aren't visible without logging in.
Also almost every thread I find through Google/GH board search features dead images/attachements.

The board is completely useless. It seems like it's a waste of time to post anything interesting there because it's only a matter of time until the attachments break or the url of the thread changes or the thread gets deleted/lost for some reason.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 May 2013, 15:00

7bit wrote:I just reminded everybody that they can have the same switches for 0.54 EUR instead of ~0.62 EUR (0.54 GBP) at slightly lower shipping costs and posted a link to my CherryMX group buy.
I'm sure they deleted your post by mistake. Or has Geekhack fallen under Communist rule?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_competition:
"A free market is a market structure in which the distribution and costs of goods and services, along with the structure and hierarchy between capital and consumer goods, are coordinated by supply and demand unhindered by external regulation or control by government or monopolies."

Halvar

28 May 2013, 15:14

Muirium
µ

28 May 2013, 15:19

Offended? No. Amused? Oh yes!

tinnie

28 May 2013, 15:29

This makes me laugh :evilgeek:

no offence. ;)
Attachments
lol.JPG
lol.JPG (23.84 KiB) Viewed 7228 times

Muirium
µ

28 May 2013, 15:31

Yep. What else is Deskthority but a forum for banned Geekhackers? Oh, uh, wait a minute…

tinnie

28 May 2013, 15:40

Geekhack.org is a place for noob and (r00tworm), and deskthority.net is a place for expert. :lol: :lol:

mr_a500

28 May 2013, 15:47

ne0phyte wrote:What I hate the most is that many dead GH threads show up on Google or aren't visible without logging in.
Also almost every thread I find through Google/GH board search features dead images/attachements.

The board is completely useless. It seems like it's a waste of time to post anything interesting there because it's only a matter of time until the attachments break or the url of the thread changes or the thread gets deleted/lost for some reason.
Yes, I agree. I took a year off from visiting geekhack and when I saw it again this year, it was unrecognizable - most of the good members gone, Wiki destroyed, threads missing (including many of mine!), attachments missing, and a general feeling of dread - people worried about posting off topic or of getting instantly banned. It's not a fun place anymore. Thankfully, there's Deskthority.

Muirium
µ

28 May 2013, 15:50

If whole threads start vanishing into /dev/null here, and "thread crapping" — such as daring to open your pie hole on a sales thread where you're not a buyer, let alone pointing out some shameless eBay advertiser for the drain on the community that he, is or undercutting the price — becomes a capital offence, at least we'll have somewhere to go. Amirite?
Last edited by Muirium on 28 May 2013, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

7bit

28 May 2013, 15:50

I did not think I do something evil, I just wanted to tell the gropup buy organiser and anybody else, that there is a cheaper option. Because he did not say that the switches are in stock and can be delivered quite quickly, I assumed the waiting time will be about the same or even longer.

If someone ever finds a cheaper source for switches than mine, he should post in my CherryMX thread so I know why nobody buys my switches anymore ...

Muirium
µ

28 May 2013, 16:08

Just loving the ingenious works of this guy.

The common theme in everything wrong at GH seems to be sellers' sense of entitlement. Threads are regarded as storefronts. Commenters are regarded as suspicious if they're not buying. And those who voice their opinions are swept away by security.

A fine community.

dirge

28 May 2013, 16:15

Yup moderation when it suits.

Peter

28 May 2013, 16:30

kbdfr wrote:
7bit wrote:I just reminded everybody that they can have the same switches for 0.54 EUR instead of ~0.62 EUR (0.54 GBP) at slightly lower shipping costs and posted a link to my CherryMX group buy.
I'm sure they deleted your post by mistake. Or has Geekhack fallen under Communist rule?

"A free market is a market structure in which the distribution and costs of goods and services, along with the structure and hierarchy between capital and consumer goods, are coordinated by supply and demand unhindered by external regulation or control by government or monopolies."
You mean like in Thatcher/Reaganomics ?
'A Free Market' ...
Where all goods are produced by China-'communist' slave-labour and Spain has +50% youth unemployment ??

Sorry, but that wiki-entry is political propaganda .. And the end-result of that so-called 'free market' will be a new WW ..

RE : gh ..
Let the kids play with their lego-caps in peace :)

Muirium
µ

28 May 2013, 16:33

That's the beauty of the real world. Nothing is ever as simple, or as fair, as it seems.

7bit

28 May 2013, 16:37

The switches are from the same factory. I assume that robots do the main work and some few workes pack the orders into boxes and ship them ...

The Matias Alps switches are indeed made by Chinese slaves and because they are not make switches in Spain, 50% are unemployed.
:shock:

Muirium
µ

28 May 2013, 16:44

When our robots not only make stuff for us, but can sit around on the Internet all day and buy it for us too, we can give up antiquated notions like employment and enjoy the tech apocalypse undistracted.

7bit

28 May 2013, 16:52

A perl script driven robot who packs all the stuff and brings it to the post office would be nice!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 May 2013, 17:23

Peter wrote:
kbdfr wrote:

You mean like in Thatcher/Reaganomics ?
'A Free Market' ...
Where all goods are produced by China-'communist' slave-labour and Spain has +50% youth unemployment ??

Sorry, but that wiki-entry is political propaganda .. And the end-result of that so-called 'free market' will be a new WW..
Hey, I wasn't praising the "free market", but being ironical about our (mostly US) Geekhack friends apparently preferring autocratic ruling.
Well, the irony seems not to have been clear enough. :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 May 2013, 18:24

they have a rule about threadcrapping that a moderator enforced to the letter. I'm not saying that I endorse it, just that I understand it. Communities fights are so 80s (do you remember Atari vs Amiga?) I would avoid them when possible :P

webwit
Wild Duck

28 May 2013, 18:36

Deskthority is better! :x

JesuswasaZombie

28 May 2013, 18:49

Too much ISO around here :roll:

Muirium
µ

28 May 2013, 18:53

matt3o wrote:Communities fights are so 80s (do you remember Atari vs Amiga?) I would avoid them when possible :P
Very true.

I've nothing against GH's existence (the same can't be said for the vicious internecine fight between Commodore and Atari). I'm free to do my geeking and my hacking elsewhere, after all. It's the fact that there's great stuff on GH that has me worried. Content just plain falls into a black hole over there often enough to give me the creeps. Bit rot shouldn't be happening in this day and age. Not on open internet forums with a viable user base. But at GH, for whatever reason, it still does. Good stuff just goes away. Great stuff. What the?

Return to “Off-topic”