Seebart's findings...

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 May 2015, 18:11

I'm on my bike just know and look what I found. Of course it's completely useless to me, but how in the hell do you leave something like this behind...?

andrewjoy

27 May 2015, 18:12

When i finally get around to throwing them out i will take photo of all the old OS X install disks i have in work.

seebart

27 May 2015, 18:16

Yeah but that's normal Andrew, this one I found outside laying in the grass.

Muirium
µ

27 May 2015, 18:28

Eeew! When will Apple finally kill that model. The last one left that can even swallow gross plastic discs. Blech!

Littering isn't cool of course. But that disc is likely 100% useless to its owner anyway. OS X installs from the Internet these days.

bhtooefr

27 May 2015, 18:31

I'd guess the OldBook Pro probably exists for educational customers (that's the typical excuse Apple has for keeping an ancient model around years after its sell-by date), and it'll exist until Ivy Bridge parts are discontinued. And, remember, Ivy Bridge is still on a current (if not the latest) process - Haswell is the 22 nm tock, after all, and Haswell-E is just rolling out.

seebart

27 May 2015, 18:33

The DVD reads "13 inch MacBook Pro" version 10.5.7 from 2009. Some drunk kids probably threw it out their BMW...

Muirium
µ

27 May 2015, 18:38

That fat old MacBook and the shitty low spec iPads need to shuffle off the desks in the Apple Store. I assume they exist to upsell people instead, like the painful 16 GB iPhone models with a quarter as much capacity as the ones immediately above them. Trouble is: some people buy them. Does Apple really do better pissing off customers (16 GB will bite you hard after about 30 days…) than simply cleaning up the product line to cull the clunkers? It's very small minded of them.

If only they had a building full of money like Scrooge McDuck…

andrewjoy

27 May 2015, 19:12

Muirium wrote: Eeew! When will Apple finally kill that model. The last one left that can even swallow gross plastic discs. Blech!

Littering isn't cool of course. But that disc is likely 100% useless to its owner anyway. OS X installs from the Internet these days.
Its the only option for people who want a real macbook pro and not a large macbook air with a GPU .

As they have already killed off the best MBP ever the MB766*/A

bhtooefr

27 May 2015, 19:13

Internal optical drives are spacebar heating in 2015, really. Spinning platter I'll grant you, and the same for upgradeable RAM, but...

Return to “Off-topic”