July 29th Windows 10!

Touch_It

29 Jul 2015, 06:23

I'm currently downloading it via Windows Update. Is anyone else excited and set on a day one upgrade? New stuff is always fun. I'm like a kid in a candy store.

Topre Enthusiast

29 Jul 2015, 06:31

I am at work right now testing compatibility of our software suite on Windows 10 :)
My three home machines are all geared up to get the update and one of them we're using to test stuff that doesn't work outside our corporate domain. I'm looking forward to it too.

We have it running on some VMs here and it seems pretty good. New (old) Start menu is welcome change and I notice that window titles are once again left-justified which annoyed the hell out of me on Win 8.1.

Madhias
BS TORPE

29 Jul 2015, 06:31

Doing that too today!

SL89

29 Jul 2015, 07:22

OK, this 'notify when ready' screen is just a tease...

Got a new machine from work to play with 10 at home just for this.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 Jul 2015, 08:28

Touch_It wrote: I'm currently downloading it via Windows Update. Is anyone else excited and set on a day one upgrade? New stuff is always fun. I'm like a kid in a candy store.
I'm gonna wait a little but do give us some feedback.

Madhias
BS TORPE

29 Jul 2015, 08:57

Going the safe route here at work, since I don't know yet if the applications I use will be OK with it...

At home on the PC I don't care, only Lightroom and Steam should run and that's already confirmed!

Halvar

29 Jul 2015, 10:44

I've been using the preview at home on my laptop for a while for most of the stuff that I do, now I hope I can make this installation permanent like they promised a few month ago and not have to re-upgrade from the old Windows 7 that came with the computer to make the Windows 10 licence permanent (which is what they're saying officially now). I'm pretty sure there will be a way though.

On my tablet at home, I'll upgrade in a few weeks I guess. Windows 8.1, while annoying on a non-touchscreen-PC, is actually quite nice on a tablet.

At work: no chance to upgrade, and I don't care.
Last edited by Halvar on 29 Jul 2015, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

29 Jul 2015, 10:52

So you like it so far Halvar? I saw a short video review. That virtual desktop function is interesting.

andrewjoy

29 Jul 2015, 10:54

i will be getting it , its part of why i am not bothering to install my new pc , i will wait for my upgrade licence then transfer it to that

Halvar

29 Jul 2015, 11:11

I don't know. There's no single killer reason to do the upgrade from Windows 7, unless you are either on a tablet / laptop convertible or have other reasons to use "modern" apps. There are several smaller things that they made nicer in comparison to Win 7, like faster booting and wakeup, better window, monitor and desktop handling, or the mobile features like battery handling, mobile/wifi/bluetooth connection handling etc. and the sum of these makes it worthwhile for me. The transformation to the new UI paradigm is still a work in progress, which still means inconsistencies and things that are likely to change on every corner.

Topre Enthusiast

29 Jul 2015, 11:43

seebart

29 Jul 2015, 11:50

Is this for a demo version? Hmm the way that reads I can download and build my own W10 copy?!? Jeez they really changed their approach. :roll:

Topre Enthusiast

29 Jul 2015, 11:52

No, this is the real deal! I'm downloading it now on my horribly slow internet connection :)
And yeah, they've been doing this since at least Win 8. I did it recently to rebuild my main machine. You can create installation media on a USB drive or just have it build an ISO for you.

seebart

29 Jul 2015, 11:57

If that's the case I will try it also. Or I might just wait till I move into my new apartment in september where I'll have 35 Mbit vectoring. 8-)

Topre Enthusiast

29 Jul 2015, 12:08

That would be nice.

Our government is currently in the process of rolling out a half-arsed FTTN broadband network to replace our ancient copper ADSL network. The original plan (with the previous govt) was fibre to the premises (FTTP / FTTH) guaranteeing most of Australia 100 Mbit connection with good upgrade potential, but apparently that was going to be too expensive, so the new govt, in their infinite wisdom, bought the shitty existing copper network from Telstra for 7 billion dollars and decided that a fibre to the node arrangement was the way to go...meanwhile other countries are replacing their FTTN networks in favour of FTTP. Just when we were finally going to be a little closer to the rest of the world digitally, a slap in the face. The current shithead "leading" this country is the biggest embarrassment :(

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Jul 2015, 12:18

meanwhile, not so far away...

seebart

29 Jul 2015, 12:19

Oh believe me the broadband expansion in Germany is pathetic. Telekom and German Goverment simply keep passing the ball back and worth between each other in terms of investment. It just happens that I am moving into a much newer building where real broadband is available. I got myself a Linksys WRT1900AC for that. No sense even setting it up here. Of course Australia is a much bigger country.

Amiga Workbench 3.0 matt3o? If that's you're daily OS you truly are hardcore. :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

29 Jul 2015, 12:26

So, some excitement for a new Windows? Reminds me of the early XP days. It wasn't a no brainer must have like Win 98 — so much more RAM hungry — but it wasn't an ignoble turd like Win Me either. Those days for XP came with age! I didn't get it because I had 2000 already, and didn't like the phone home activation stuff. My next upgrade was OS X.

Anyway, nice to see MS turn a corner. For a long while, nothing would terrify the shit out of you guys more than a new version of Windows!

Halvar

29 Jul 2015, 12:26

seebart wrote:
Is this for a demo version? Hmm the way that reads I can download and build my own W10 copy?!? Jeez they really changed their approach. :roll:
Microsoft wrote: If you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx). For more information about product keys and when they are required, visit the FAQ page.
This is only for reinstalling on a system where Windows 10 was activated before, or if you have a license key. Otherwise you won't be able to activate.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Jul 2015, 12:27

seebart wrote: Amiga Workbench 3.0 matt3o? If that's you're daily OS you truly are hardcore. :mrgreen:
yes, but with 68030 accelerator and 128mb ram.
Last edited by matt3o on 29 Jul 2015, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

Halvar

29 Jul 2015, 12:28

Amiga 4000?

andrewjoy

29 Jul 2015, 12:28

testing it in a VM now , you don't need a key to get it installed , so it must have a grace period. You will need a key to activate it and make it genuine.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Jul 2015, 12:29

Halvar wrote: Amiga 4000?
1200 + this

Muirium
µ

29 Jul 2015, 12:34

andrewjoy wrote: You will need a key to activate it and make it genuine.
Genuine Windows. Not to be confused with other Macintosh lookalikes, such as Linux or all those dead ones like Amiga.

Typing in serial numbers… so THAT'S WHY! Now I get it. Numpads have a purpose outside of call centres after all!

andrewjoy

29 Jul 2015, 12:35

You all copied RISCOS :P

Halvar

29 Jul 2015, 12:36

@matteo: That's an interesting accelerator ... and 128 MB RAM on an Amiga is quite a bit ... I had 9 MB in the end on my Amiga 2000.

seebart

29 Jul 2015, 12:38

Muirium wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: You will need a key to activate it and make it genuine.
Genuine Windows. Not to be confused with other Macintosh lookalikes, such as Linux or all those dead ones like Amiga.

Typing in serial numbers… so THAT'S WHY! Now I get it. Numpads have a purpose outside of call centres after all!
Well we all know by now Mu is a disgruntled former windows user gone apples. :mrgreen:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Jul 2015, 12:40

Muirium wrote: or all those dead ones like Amiga.
mmmh, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition, release date December 18, 2014
Muirium wrote: Typing in serial numbers… so THAT'S WHY! Now I get it. Numpads have a purpose outside of call centres after all!
they are alphanumerical! DAMN!
Halvar wrote: @matteo: That's an interesting accelerator ... and 128 MB RAM on an Amiga is quite a bit ... I had 9 MB in the end on my Amiga 2000.
you can now add a PCI card to an A1200 and put a lot of expansion card in it (graphics card, sound card, USB, ...), so more memory is needed nowadays than 20 years ago.

Topre Enthusiast

29 Jul 2015, 12:44

Halvar wrote: This is only for reinstalling on a system where Windows 10 was activated before, or if you have a license key. Otherwise you won't be able to activate.
There's a discussion on it here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... me/ctjyb2t

Seems you should be able to use the created media to upgrade in place, then fresh install if you so please.

Halvar

29 Jul 2015, 12:45

Muirium wrote: Typing in serial numbers… so THAT'S WHY! Now I get it. Numpads have a purpose outside of call centres after all!
These serial numbers are alphanumeric of course ... :?

Return to “Off-topic”