Beware of MagicMeatball

fossala
Elite +1

23 Aug 2012, 15:04

I don't normally post from GH, I'm not even a member anymore. But you guys should check this out.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34897.0

RiGS

23 Aug 2012, 15:37

That's sad!
I have made a business with the guy over here under a different name.
Initially we encountered some problems, but we managed to work things out with communication.

dirge

23 Aug 2012, 15:56

Think lin's asking for the thread to be deleted now, so it'll be brushed under the carpet.

fossala
Elite +1

23 Aug 2012, 16:03

Why?

RiGS

23 Aug 2012, 16:12

The thread is locked.

damorgue

23 Aug 2012, 16:13

Because it will soon escalate to a witch hunt with pitchforks and torches if the thread continues flame one person.

dirge

23 Aug 2012, 16:16

Got a private message, basically doesn't want to cause too much trouble and things geekhack mods should handle it.

Stripped the board of caps and (maybe dyesub) mods then send it back? fuckhim.

Fair enough flame one person, they've done it to changdrew.

RiGS

23 Aug 2012, 16:17

So be it, it was a cunt move. Also that way there is no option for him to defend himself.

hq1ify

23 Aug 2012, 16:25

Come on...

Charlie_Brown_MX

23 Aug 2012, 17:03

damorgue wrote:Because it will soon escalate to a witch hunt with pitchforks and torches if the thread continues flame one person.
I don’t see a problem with that in this case: it’s pretty clear that MagicMeatball has stolen¹ from Lin TaobaoAgent, which is completely unacceptable.

I’m a believer that threads like that shouldn’t be deleted — they should remain available as a record so that other buyers and sellers doing their research can get a fuller picture of the people with whom they’re doing business. If you fuck someone over in a transaction, that should be recorded and held as a matter of public record. Doing so may even discourage others from trying to pull the same gag later down the line.

¹ Just to clarify: I said stolen, and I meant stolen. This isn’t a case of imprecise wording.

damorgue

23 Aug 2012, 17:18

I for one haven't heard MMB's side of the story, although it seems conclusive without it, we can not rule out that it isn't as bad as it sound. The GH and DT communities are full of rage, flamewars and weird ethics and tend to simplify and condemn.

litster

23 Aug 2012, 17:23

Make a copy of the thread before it is deleted!

Charlie_Brown_MX

23 Aug 2012, 17:48

damorgue wrote:I for one haven't heard MMB's side of the story, although it seems conclusive without it, we can not rule out that it isn't as bad as it sound. The GH and DT communities are full of rage, flamewars and weird ethics and tend to simplify and condemn.
I’d say it’s unlikely that Lin TaobaoAgent is lying or exaggerating considering the amount of proof she provided and the fact her business relies on having a reputation for bing trustworthy, but, as you say, none of us have heard MagicMeatball’s side of the story. It’ll have to be pretty spectacular to justify what’s happened, and I’m as interested as anyone else to hear his version of events, but I’m not holding my breath. Like Dirge, I suspect this will all just be swept under the server over at GH, especially since MM seems quite chummy with a couple of the mods.

I agree that GH and DT are prone toward being too judgmental, which is not necessarily desirable. Communities like this almost always are, and it unavoidably comes with the territory. That said, I prefer a community where I know someone will go out of their way to warn me of a potentially risky buyer/seller over one where people don’t take the time to look out for one another. If the price of that is people being occasionally judgmental and prone to strong reactions, that’s fine by me.
litster wrote:Make a copy of the thread before it is deleted!
I saved a copy on my work machine, but wasn’t able to get the images: they were filtered out by the proxy in operation. I’ll try to grab a copy when I get home later, provided it’s still there.

RiGS

23 Aug 2012, 18:05

litster

23 Aug 2012, 18:14

It is now a he said she said thing.

fossala
Elite +1

23 Aug 2012, 18:22

I can't access the link because I'm not logged in/have an account. What has been said?

dirge

23 Aug 2012, 18:23

Well the posts in meatballs forum have been deleted now. There were some in his 'keyboard services' sticky.

hq1ify

23 Aug 2012, 18:33

Thread removed? I wonder what's going on there...

asdf

23 Aug 2012, 18:38

I got it for y'all. I knew it was going to be deleted soon so I left a tab opened.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/422021/rightwro ... twrong.htm

dirge

23 Aug 2012, 18:46

litster wrote:It is now a he said she said thing.
Did he reply? The removal is more unsettling than the original post.

I dont think geekhack is in the habit of covering up misdeeds, so it should just be a matter of waiting to hear both sides.

hq1ify

23 Aug 2012, 18:50

Why would she want it removed?

dirge

23 Aug 2012, 18:56

hq1ify wrote:Why would she want it removed?
She told me in pm, that she told mods they could do what they felt right with the thread as she didn't want to harm gk's reputation.

hq1ify

23 Aug 2012, 19:01

dirge wrote:
hq1ify wrote:Why would she want it removed?
She told me in pm (...)
Are you sure *she* told you that? ;)

dirge

23 Aug 2012, 19:16

Puzzled, just followed your lead when you said she. I'll say 'they' until someone posts birth certificate :)

He/she does come across as a nice guy/gal.

JesuswasaZombie

23 Aug 2012, 19:32

Seriously, Foss?

hashbaz

23 Aug 2012, 19:43

Lin is in fact female. She is the OP of the deleted thread, and she is the one who asked for its deletion.

thegunner100

23 Aug 2012, 19:46

I have my own story to share about MMB, but I'll stay out of it for now.

hq1ify

23 Aug 2012, 19:47

Lol, I wasn't questioning her gender guys.
Nevermind.

dirge

23 Aug 2012, 19:48

Well I just picture him running off with her handbag now ;p

thegunner100

23 Aug 2012, 19:50

Handbag capslock perhaps?

Return to “Off-topic”