World Cup final: predictions

Julle

13 Jul 2014, 14:27

So, today's the day. I thought a pointless prediction thread might be in order.

I'm rooting for Germany but this is what I think will happen (because I'm a miserable bastard): everybody expects Germany to kick the living shit out of Argentina. Germany is under a lot of pressure to deliver. They will make a foolish mistake. Argentina (read: Messi) will score one goal and then go to tortoise formation for the rest of the game. Sauerkrauty tears will be shed.

Please share your thoughts about the final.

Madhias
BS TORPE

13 Jul 2014, 14:45

I think Germany will make it, but that's just what i'm feeling. At least this team would deserve it, after all the past years.

I hope that Argentina wins. But i'm not a soccer fanatic at all, so for me soccer is just a nice background TV sound when sitting in front of the PC or doing some housework. I don't like the way the FIFA acts, i don't like Mr. Platter, BTW.
Last edited by Madhias on 13 Jul 2014, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

13 Jul 2014, 14:45

"Sauerkrauty tears"

HAHAH.

I honestly have no interest in football, so all I can contribute is:

Madhias
BS TORPE

13 Jul 2014, 14:48

That English.

7bit

13 Jul 2014, 15:02

:lol:

It took quite some time until someone realised there is a football championship!
:P

My guess:
FC Bayern will win over Argentina with one goal shot by Arjen Robben, after he fouled himself in front of the Argentinian goal.
:o

Muirium
µ

13 Jul 2014, 15:06

What, Brazil didn't make it to their own effing final? IT WIZ RIGGED!

Or it wasn't rigged enough. Same thing. Go Maradona!

7bit

13 Jul 2014, 15:07

Muirium wrote: What, Brazil didn't make it to their own effing final? IT WIZ RIGGED!

Or it wasn't rigged enough. Same thing. Go Maradona!
They did perform badly out of protest against the government.

Muirium
µ

13 Jul 2014, 15:16

Ah, how honourable. I hope they all get shot.

By the way, what are the current odds on one of today's teams being abducted and replaced by England? And can I put a tenner on both?

Julle

13 Jul 2014, 15:50

scottc wrote: "Sauerkrauty tears"

HAHAH.

I honestly have no interest in football, so all I can contribute is:
At any other given moment in time I would agree with you. I can't stand watching Finnish football. It's on par with Nigerian ice hockey. I do enjoy the occasional game from the European leagues but I'm not too fanatical about anything football related.

But there is something about the World Cup, though. I feel really ambivalent about it. On one hand, it's a flagrant display of pigsty capitalism, corruption, exploitation, and injustice. On the other, it's like massive arterial bleeding - there''s not much you can do to stop it, but it's pretty spectacular to watch.

Other reasons I like it
  • I'm under a mass psychosis
  • All the best players are there, no excuses
  • There's always a chance that a South American player and his family gets shot by the local mafia
  • You only have to endure it once every four years
  • You get an excellent excuse to stay up late and even better an excuse to be late from work

Muirium
µ

13 Jul 2014, 16:08

It's a rare thing. A tournament with "world" in the title, where teams from all over the world actually show up. And a sport that plenty people give a shit about, even. I don't like football, but I agree this is the best sports event of them all, even if I barely follow it. There's some pretty sweet history in there, too…
FIFA wrote: FIFA's Congress voted to stage an inaugural world championship in 1930. The only remaining question was where. Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and Uruguay all expressed an interest but the Uruguayans alone were prepared to pay all travel and hotel expenses as well as build a new stadium at a time of economic uncertainty. Add the fact Uruguay would be celebrating its centenary that same year and FIFA duly plumped for the South Americans, confirming their decision at the 1929 Congress in Barcelona.

Finding the teams to take part was the next challenge. Seven signed up from the home continent along with Mexico and the United States. But two months before the start, there was still no European entrant. The prospect of two months away was an obvious deterrent for players with jobs at home but France and Belgium – the only two FIFA founder members to participate – eventually agreed to undertake the long journey together with Yugoslavia and Romania.

Besides the Yugoslavia party, sailing independently on the MS Florida, the remaining European contenders travelled together on the SS Conte Verde, departing from Barcelona on 22 June. Also embarking on one of football's most significant journeys were FIFA President Jules Rimet with the Goddess of Victory trophy – a statuette 30cm high and weighing 4kg designed by Frenchman Abel Lafleur – and John Langenus, the Belgian who would referee the Final. The Conte Verde stopped at Rio to pick up the Brazil squad and then at Santos where players bought bananas, oranges and pineapples. Finally, on 4 July, the liner arrived at Montevideo where it was greeted by 10,000 Uruguayans.
http://www.fifa.com/tournaments/archive ... index.html

The first incident of blatant match fixing by a referee? Almeida Rego right there in 1930. He started a long and glorious tradition with flair!
FIFA wrote:The FIFA World Cup's first major controversy provided a footnote to France's defeat in their second game against Argentina two days later. Trailing to a free-kick by Argentine enforcer Luisito Monti, the French were denied the opportunity of an equaliser when referee Almeida Rego halted Marcel Langiller's run on goal by sounding the final whistle. Unfortunately, there were actually six minutes remaining, prompting chaotic scenes that only ended when the Brazilian official brought the teams back on to the pitch to conclude the contest.
As a Scot, and therefore from one of the many footballing nations which struggle to qualify (hell, our next world cup players are yet to even be born…) I'd like to see the tournament turn into a cup. The same number of games played could be a 128 team knockout from the start! What better way to kick off the competition: instead of cautious draws, a riot of drubbings as Germany takes on the Seychelles and Argentina faces Fiji! Scotland could be beat by Wales then, which would be nice.

Julle

13 Jul 2014, 16:20

The unfortunate tale of the Colombian defender Andrés Escobar from 1994 World Cup has really stuck on my mind:
Escobar's infamous own goal occurred in a match against the United States on June 22, in the second match of Colombia at the 1994 World Cup. Stretching to cut out a pass from American midfielder John Harkes, he deflected the ball into his own net. The United States won the game 2–1.

After the 1994 FIFA World Cup, Escobar decided to return to Colombia instead of visiting relatives in Las Vegas, Nevada.[7] On the evening of July 1, 1994, five days after the elimination of Colombia from the World Cup, Escobar called his friends, and they went to a bar in the El Poblado neighborhood in Medellín. Then they went to a liquor store. Shortly afterwards, they arrived at the "El Indio" nightclub. His friends split up. At approximately 3 a.m. the next morning, Escobar was alone in the parking lot of "El Indio" bar, in his car, when three men appeared. They began arguing with him. Two of the men took out handguns.[10] Escobar was shot six times. It was reported that the killer shouted ¡Gol!" (imitating South American football commentators). The killer shot Escobar with a .38 caliber pistol.[4] The group then took off in a Toyota pickup truck leaving Escobar to bleed to death. Escobar was rushed to the hospital where he died 45 minutes later.

The murder was widely believed to be a punishment for the own goal.[13] In the UK, the BBC issued a public apology after its football pundit Alan Hansen commented during the match between Argentina and Romania that "the Argentine defender warrants shooting for a mistake like that", on July 3, a day after the murder of Escobar.

Escobar's funeral was attended by over 120,000 people. Every year people honour Escobar by bringing photographs of him to matches. In July 2002, the city of Medellín unveiled a statue in honour of his memory.[15]

Humberto Castro Muñoz, a bodyguard for members of a powerful Colombian cartel, was arrested on the night of 2 July 1994, confessing the next day to the killing of Escobar. Muñoz also worked as a driver for Santiago Gallón, who had allegedly lost heavily betting on the outcome of the game. He was found guilty of Escobar's murder in June 1995. He was sentenced to 43 years in prison. The sentence was later reduced to 26 years because of his submitting to the ruling penal code in 2001. Humberto was released on good behaviour due to further reductions from prison work and study in 2005 after serving approximately 11 years. His three accomplices were acquitted.

7bit

13 Jul 2014, 17:23

In other religions, way more people die!
:shock:

In fact, Football is the religion with the fewest deaths of them all!

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Jul 2014, 17:27

ne0phyte
Toast.

13 Jul 2014, 21:39

I expect either a tied game or one of the teams winning.

Julle

13 Jul 2014, 21:42

Well, it seems that my prediction is slowly becoming true. Argentina already scored a goal but it was ruled an offside. They had another situation where the German defender barely saved the day.

Germany, what are you doing?

Julle

13 Jul 2014, 22:28

It's been so even so far. Whichever team wins definitely deserves it.

They even use force pretty much the same way. Argentina may be a little more aggressive with their tackles and such, but otherwise there's really no telling these teams apart.

Julle

13 Jul 2014, 23:44

Congratulations to Germany! Commiserations to Argentina.

ne0phyte
Toast.

13 Jul 2014, 23:48

ne0phyte wrote: I expect either a tied game or one of the teams winning.
I was right :shock:

Muirium
µ

14 Jul 2014, 00:07

Woo!

So now the performances are done, when do we get to vote?

Julle

14 Jul 2014, 00:13

Muirium wrote: Woo!
So now the performances are done, when do we get to vote?
"Finland, zero points."

Muirium
µ

14 Jul 2014, 00:25

Eurovision would be all the sweeter if they really did read out all the "Nul Points".

Also: back to fußball: where's China? Where's India? Where's the world!?!

7bit

14 Jul 2014, 02:33

:ugeek: * * * *

Julle

14 Jul 2014, 10:36

Muirium wrote: Eurovision would be all the sweeter if they really did read out all the "Nul Points".

Also: back to fußball: where's China? Where's India? Where's the world!?!
China and India did not qualify. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_ ... tion_(AFC)

Muirium
µ

14 Jul 2014, 13:36

Hardly a world cup without the world's largest nations. Anyone with over a billion people should automatically qualify, along with the hosts. They can then lose some instructive games, just like Brazil did and South Africa, Korea and Japan before them!

7bit

14 Jul 2014, 14:02

Sorry, but that's not true!

The worlds largest nations indeed participated:
Germany ****
Argentina **
Netherlands °°°
Brazil *****
and:
Uruguay ****
Italy ****
Spain *
France *
England *

Can't see any great nation missing.
:?

Muirium
µ

14 Jul 2014, 14:11

Much too similar to the "World" Series. Where America*************************************************************************** Always Wins.

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Jul 2014, 14:13

Muirium
µ

14 Jul 2014, 14:18

And the Chinese squad should have been 33 times larger than Argentina's!

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=ch ... population

I'd watch that game!

7bit

14 Jul 2014, 14:36

Halvar

14 Jul 2014, 14:41

China participated in the qualification rounds, and they had 1.36 billion people to choose from for their national team. Still they didn't survive the qualification matches. Similar for India. Mu, you're barking up the wrong tree... 8-)

Return to “Off-topic”