dgb's blog 2.0

Daniel Beardsmore

20 Jul 2014, 23:06

Two point zero can play at this game.

Lost in Space was a really, really, really terrible movie!
Last edited by Daniel Beardsmore on 07 Aug 2014, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

20 Jul 2014, 23:26

Objection!

Also the space age outfits were pretty accurate, for the period:

vs.

Julle

21 Jul 2014, 00:44

What does the g stand for?

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Jul 2014, 00:45

Gilbert.

scottc

21 Jul 2014, 00:46

Grumpy? Great? Gemini?

We'll never know.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Jul 2014, 00:47

No, the 1998 movie. From Gary Oldman's hilarious overacting to the production team's complete inability to decide from one minute to the next what technology level humans had, it was just bad all the way through. The fact that the only aliens were a load of clangity spiders, and that the residents of the only planet they visited were themselves, was the sort of cop-out I expected from a Star Trek TV episode.

Besides, if you want to launch something into space using rockets, why would you make it travel flat-side up?

Granted, it cheered me up no end, but sadly not for the right reasons.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Jul 2014, 00:51

That's too easy. I really disliked the overrated "underrated" Moon. Outdated, slow moving SF as the skin for an inferior, boring Frankenstein clone. Perfume, now there's a daring Frankenstein clone.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Jul 2014, 01:03

My theory is that Beardsmore started this blog just to prove it will get more response than a wiki entry about <insert some obscure Alps variant here>.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Jul 2014, 01:05

webwit wrote: That's too easy. I really disliked the overrated "underrated" Moon. Outdated, slow moving SF as the skin for an inferior, boring Frankenstein clone. Perfume, now there's a daring Frankenstein clone.
I will never live up to your lofty erudite standards, webwit.

I enjoyed Moon, but the pacing was a little lax — the film seemed too long for its story, or inadequately developed for its play length. It had the feel of an Arthur C Clarke short story, in which case the film was too long. I can't fault the story, but it could use a fresh cut. (I never made a connection with Frankenstein, but that might be due to my sheer inferiority.)
webwit wrote: My theory is that Beardsmore started this blog just to prove it will get more response than a wiki entry about <insert some obscure Alps variant here>.
I have nothing to prove right now. Just restless.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Jul 2014, 01:08

Frankenstein: A constructed man, who tries to find meaning and love, and dies in the process. Moon: A constructed man, who tries to find meaning and love, and dies in the process. Etc.

Daniel Beardsmore

21 Jul 2014, 01:12

Not sure if being trolled.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

21 Jul 2014, 08:25

Track Back

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

23 Jul 2014, 08:54

Hello, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam comments? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can recommend? I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any support is very much appreciated.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

23 Jul 2014, 08:55

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.

Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

23 Jul 2014, 08:55

I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I’m now not positive whether this put up is written by means of him as no one else realize such unique about my trouble.

You have been wonderful! Thanks!

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

23 Jul 2014, 08:56

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both equally educative and interesting, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head. The problem is an issue that too few folks are speaking intelligently about. I’m very happy I found this during my search for something relating to this.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

Great – I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and related information ended up being truly easy to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, web site theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Nice task.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

Thank you favorable for the skilled details. Basically unprejudiced wen upward! As i frequently carry out not necessarily expanding about those however, stew over one made any animatedly buddy-buddy despoile and also I’m unquestionable some individuals suavity that a smaller amount in any case

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

23 Jul 2014, 08:57

hello there and thanks in your info ? I have definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however experience a few technical points the usage of this web site, as I experienced to reload the site a lot of times prior to I may just get it to load correctly. I have been brooding about in case your web host is OK? No longer that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading cases instances will very frequently have an effect on your placement in google and could damage your quality ranking if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my email and could glance out for a lot extra of your respective fascinating content. Make sure you update this once more soon..

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

Hello there, simply changed into aware of your weblog via Google, and located that it is truly informative. I’m going to be careful for brussels. I will appreciate when you proceed this in future. Numerous other people might be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

Thank you for the practical critique. Me also as my personal neighbor have been merely receiving ready to do some research about this. I am extremely joyful to determine these kinds of great info finding shared openly within the market.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

I am typically to blogging and i actually respect your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I’m going to bookmark your web site and keep checking for brand spanking new information.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

23 Jul 2014, 08:58

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

23 Jul 2014, 08:58

I have to express thanks to this writer just for bailing me out of this type of dilemma. As a result of surfing around through the search engines and coming across advice which were not beneficial, I thought my entire life was done. Being alive without the presence of strategies to the difficulties you’ve solved through the article content is a serious case, and ones which might have adversely affected my career if I had not come across your web blog. Your primary competence and kindness in dealing with all the stuff was valuable. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had not encountered such a step like this. I can at this time look ahead to my future. Thanks for your time so much for the impressive and amazing guide. I will not be reluctant to propose the website to any individual who needs assistance on this area.

Compgeke

23 Jul 2014, 09:34

All I can say is WOW! Your post is exactly what I needed, but what if more people could view your site? For $599.99/week I can help bring your website to the first page of google! All you have to do is visit http://www.SEOMASTURPEESE.CZ for a free one month trial!

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Jul 2014, 09:46

sth: over 200 WPM — not bad. Not bad at all.

"blog 1.0" was Bug of the Moment, but having seen the idiotic, flamey and spammy comments on Mark Russinovich's blog, I specifically chose not to implement comments. (I wrote a comments system for my website—that functioned mainly as the guestbook—but I didn't use it for this as I had no intention of bailing out spam and glowering at flame wars.)

I don't think anyone else has ever linked to it anywhere, ever — I would check periodically to see if any other websites mentioned it, and none ever did, so I gave up with it in the end.

I am just way too boring.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

23 Jul 2014, 10:02

i wish i were clever enough to write all those myself, let alone type them up that fast.
that was just a test.
i think we need an akismet plugin or something for our blogs. :maverick:

Muirium
µ

23 Jul 2014, 10:43

Most websites sit in silence, waiting for their big day to come. It is not guaranteed. Build it and they will come? Bollocks. Who are "they" and how do they know you? The Internet is many things but it is still not magic.

The same attention problem exists for actors, books, movies, songs, apps, sites and painters. Really everyone attempting to add something back to the culture with the cheek not to already be known for something, first. Fame is a wicked mistress. All we know are the ones who made it through. How many else could there possibly be out there? As usual, the world is larger than we think.

Flappy Bird is a great example how random popularity can be. Huge success, right? Must have hit the magic formula right on the nose! Wrong. For six months after release it sat there, obscure and tragic, until overnight something happened and it took off to the mightiest victory: a viral fad. What, pray, was this magic? Absolutely no one knows. Someone, somewhere, surely without even awareness, liked it and passed it to a group of like minded simpletons with just the right, random, properties for it to soar away. Who? Can we have his address? Can we have his price? His babies??

Nope. Try harder. Maybe it'll come. Probably not, but maybe.

SEO is the equivalent of hiring a promoter. One who speaks an inscrutable, machine based language, and who doesn't ever seem to actually work. I think I met that guy…

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

23 Jul 2014, 14:27

i am of the (frankly unimportant) opinion that most SEO practices are bad for the web as we know it... but they don't rank high enough in my real-problems-that-you-can't-just-literally-get-up-and-walk-away-from results for me to spend a lot of time thinking about it.

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Jul 2014, 15:39

Since Google's "Panda" updates, SEO is more or less dead. In short, google is now smart enough to catch most tricks, and will penalize sites using them, which makes SEO too dangerous.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Panda
http://moz.com/google-algorithm-change

Return to “Off-topic”