A (Function) Key Role in a Conspiracy Theory

Muirium
µ

22 Jul 2014, 04:06

F7 to be precise. Great little story about a lost passenger plane in the Cold War, a botched response, and a keyboard!

http://johncbeck.tumblr.com/post/920745 ... -goes-down

Whoever designed that software is the one who deserved to be punished! Didn't even separate the keys over a divider like F8 and F9… although the keyboard itself is not pictured, so who knows what it was.

Topre Enthusiast

22 Jul 2014, 04:45

Muirium wrote: Whoever designed that software is the one who deserved to be punished!
Haha agreed. Poor bugger just accepted his fate too, like it was all his fault. No mention of anyone giving him a memo or warning to not touch the systems.

Trivia: The same monster who designed that system went on to work on the control scheme for Fallout, putting quick save and quick load right next to each other.

Findecanor

22 Jul 2014, 05:20

Bad user interface design... There should have been a confirmation dialogue for the action, and a proper confirmation dialogue would accurately describe the outcome of the action.

scottc

22 Jul 2014, 05:24

002 wrote: Trivia: The same monster who designed that system went on to work on the control scheme for Fallout, putting quick save and quick load right next to each other.
That is sick. How could anyone do that? This has caused so many tears for me.

HzFaq

22 Jul 2014, 09:44

002 wrote:
Muirium wrote: Whoever designed that software is the one who deserved to be punished!

Trivia: The same monster who designed that system went on to work on the control scheme for Fallout, putting quick save and quick load right next to each other.
First thing I do with any Bethesda game is bind quicksave to something I can hit quickly and often (zxczv usually). Those games crash so often and are so full of bugs I find if I don't mash it constantly I'm prone to losing hours of gameplay at a time (back when a game session lasted hours...).

On topic, keyboard shortcuts are dangerous; the only time I've ever had to use the break key was when I ham-fisted a shortcut in Access and it went off re-writting an entire database...

Halvar

22 Jul 2014, 10:18

Access is quite considerate in that respect though. Normally it goes through with your command and then asks you if you want to commit or rollback the transaction. Which has saved me many times.

Return to “Off-topic”