Kiibohd 9 - Bay Area Monthly Keyboard Meetup

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

25 Sep 2014, 02:33

Sorry about the delay, I've...been sick, and busy. Also heading to Japan for a couple weeks :D

nuclearsandwich has graciously offered to let us have the meetup at GitHub :thumb:

October 25th 2014 @ 1 PM - GitHub HQ
SF somewhere...
(Check GH thread for more details: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63165.0)

Not sure what's happening with food, but there's lots of drinks at GitHub (on site bar).
There's actual meeting rooms at GitHub so I can make a presentation (anyone else want to do a presentation?).

Talking with Andrew from Massdrop, I think the focus of this meetup is going to be keycaps.
I'll bring my usual assortment of old keyboards, but I'll curate the selection based upon keycaps.

Please RSVP if you plan to attend.
If there are strong opinions we can also move the meetup date to Nov. 8th.
Please indicate which dates (Oct. 25th/Nov. 8th) you can attend.

(GeekHack mod, please sticky this topic, and un-sticky the old meetup thread)
Last edited by HaaTa on 25 Sep 2014, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Beardsmore

25 Sep 2014, 09:25

HaaTa wrote: (GeekHack mod, please sticky this topic, and un-sticky the old meetup thread)
Now why would we let them do that? ;-)

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

25 Sep 2014, 09:27

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
HaaTa wrote: (GeekHack mod, please sticky this topic, and un-sticky the old meetup thread)
Now why would we let them do that? ;-)
Haha, nice catch. Definitely posted this in a rush :P

wcass

04 Oct 2014, 20:29

I will not be attending myself, but would like to send my XTant keyboard - a custom layout capacitive buckling spring keyboard - to be evaluated by you guys. I plan to make kits available in the near future so that others can build these too. Attendees would be invited to type on it and examine the parts I have selected to make up the kits. I am soliciting suggestions and comments (anonymous if you like) to make it better.
XTant1.JPG
XTant1.JPG (229.57 KiB) Viewed 2427 times

Muirium
µ

04 Oct 2014, 21:00

Great project! My suggested improvements, at least for me, would be a set of Mac mods (Control, Option, Command, Space, Command, Option, Control) with the (inner) Command keys 1.5u while the others are 1.25u. Then a split Backspace key on row 1 and a Backspace legend 1.5u key on row 2. Maybe even go full HHKB Fn with a (stepped) 1.75u right Shift with Fn on the right. Anyone else like those ideas?

I know you're trying to stay within the original donor XT's component count, though. Wise but limiting.

wcass

05 Oct 2014, 07:02

I really should have used blank key caps. Both DPH and xwhatsit's controllers are 100% user assignable, so "what any keys is" is completely your decision.

The kit will not come with key caps. Two reasons for that - little to no "bulk purchase" savings and it is very likely that each person will want a set unlike anyone else. If you don't have a selection of loose buckling spring caps, you will need to order a set from Unicomp. The way I did this for my prototype was to open a service request ticket on their web site. That referenced a graphic image of what I wanted. I got a reply (within a day or two) saying basically "yeah, we can do that for you. Go back to our web page and order a 'Custom Printed Buckling Spring Button Set' and write in the Comments section 'layout per support ticket #1234'" (that is not my real ticket number). You must open a ticket yourself, or you might get the wrong set. Remember to order a spacebar and horizontal inserts if you need those too.

I think that http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com would be a great way to show Unicomp exactly what buttons you want. I would encourage you to post your layout ideas in the group buy thread (when i start one).

Compgeke

05 Oct 2014, 10:00

Oh wow, a use for all the damn XT keyboards I have.

Might be at the meetup on the 25th, no promises. At the moment I have no house so money's a tad tight.

vsev

25 Feb 2015, 10:02

HI,
great mod here !
Any news about pcb ?
Why not fill the space upon arrows side with barrels ? one can add any wanted fonctions there.

Return to “Off-topic”