VPS/Cloud computing providers

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

15 Oct 2014, 08:54

Normally I would just put something like this in my blog but I figure there are some people who might not read it even with my lovely banner advertising its existence. So yo: go read my blog.

But I digress.

I currently have a VPS hosted by a friend. It's free. Great! However, and understandably, the support is not great, considering he runs this machine in his spare time. I have currently hit a wall - my machine won't come back after an upgrade and I can't reach my friend to have him even just mount a new Debian installer and let me start over, let alone check the console to see what's going on. I'm going to keep this VPS around for fun, assuming i can get it back up, but it made me realize that it's probably time for me to get a real VPS/something with real support. I don't need much - a few gigs of ram and 10-20GB storage is plenty for me. I just run a light web server and ssh and mostly use it for storage/design previews/projects but I have something new planned that I want to keep available.

So... the question is: what sort of platform do you think is best suited for this? Cost is a factor - I would like to spend less than 10 euros a month (or equivalent). I won't be running anything very resource intensive but i'd like to leave the possibility there for a decent number of simultaneous connections, should the need arise, without a huge spike in my bill.

It may be that i get a raspi or something small to run at my house if I can get a public IP through my next ISP but that is just a maybe. The hobbyist in me wants to go that route but the nerd in me knows its not worth the hassle when i can pay very little for a service that provides backups without my intervention and not have to worry about hardware failures or problems with my residential ISP.

:maverick:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Oct 2014, 09:10

you may have a look at openshift.com. Free for the base service and then scale up. It's unmanaged though

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

15 Oct 2014, 09:14

i don't really need any assistance with anything but the option to have console access should an upgrade go bad would be nice in a situation like this. i will check into it! thanks.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

15 Oct 2014, 11:19

sth wrote: It may be that i get a raspi or something small to run at my house if I can get a public IP through my next ISP but that is just a maybe. The hobbyist in me wants to go that route but the nerd in me knows its not worth the hassle when i can pay very little for a service that provides backups without my intervention and not have to worry about hardware failures or problems with my residential ISP.

Well, I have quite a nice setup with a raspi + OpenVPN and I don't even need a public fixed IP address, I use dnsdynamic.com for the public IP address stuff and it's free ) . This way I can access my home lab from anywhere I want, ssh/vpn it works just fine :) Behind the small raspi I have a small scale datacenter, and everything is controlled via the raspi. I even have a USB GSM modem with a prepaid card and I get reports in case I have power failure, internet connection dow, and I can also do some fancy stuff via SMS :evilgeek:
All the stuff I have except for the raspi and a SATA JBOD are S/H stuff bought cheap.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

15 Oct 2014, 12:44

DanielT wrote:
sth wrote: It may be that i get a raspi or something small to run at my house if I can get a public IP through my next ISP but that is just a maybe. The hobbyist in me wants to go that route but the nerd in me knows its not worth the hassle when i can pay very little for a service that provides backups without my intervention and not have to worry about hardware failures or problems with my residential ISP.

Well, I have quite a nice setup with a raspi + OpenVPN and I don't even need a public fixed IP address, I use dnsdynamic.com for the public IP address stuff and it's free ) . This way I can access my home lab from anywhere I want, ssh/vpn it works just fine :) Behind the small raspi I have a small scale datacenter, and everything is controlled via the raspi. I even have a USB GSM modem with a prepaid card and I get reports in case I have power failure, internet connection dow, and I can also do some fancy stuff via SMS :evilgeek:
All the stuff I have except for the raspi and a SATA JBOD are S/H stuff bought cheap.
that's not bad. i did consider using some kind of dynamic service with an existing domain.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

15 Oct 2014, 13:24

dnsdynamic.com works really nice. You get a domain name from them, it looks like whatever.dnsdynamic.com , I've lucky and what I wanted was free :P so I have a cool one.
Have this setup for about 2 years and works fine.

quantalume

15 Oct 2014, 14:08

I use servers at home as well as a professional VPS. At home, I run a box with a SSD and a 6-core processor that is under-clocked to save energy. I use it for critical applications that require physical security. I also have a few RasPis serving as IoT gateways. Then I use weloveservers.net for other stuff. They have frequent promotions for as little as $10 per year. For just plain cloud storage, I use SpiderOak. I like them because everything is encrypted before leaving your machine.

Halvar

15 Oct 2014, 14:09

Thanks DanielT, I was looking for a new one for a while since the one that I used for years, dyndns.org, isn't for free any more.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

15 Oct 2014, 14:12

quantalume wrote: I use servers at home as well as a professional VPS. At home, I run a box with a SSD and a 6-core processor that is under-clocked to save energy. I use it for critical applications that require physical security. I also have a few RasPis serving as IoT gateways. Then I use weloveservers.net for other stuff. They have frequent promotions for as little as $10 per year. For just plain cloud storage, I use SpiderOak. I like them because everything is encrypted before leaving your machine.
Thanks for the link to weloveservers, looks like another good one to look into.

macmakkara

20 Oct 2014, 11:14

I have afterbust.com VPS. but i have big one from there 20$ month but se split that with my friends and use it as server hosting. VoIP 24/7 and then some game servers. Example at one point se ran heavy modded minecraft and ran out of RAM with 4ppl on server and huge bases.

Return to “Off-topic”