presidency elections in Romania

Laser
emacs -nw

18 Nov 2014, 11:45

On Sunday, the surprise produced, helped by huge masses of people going out in the street: people voted in favor of a german ex-physics professor of protestant religion, and against the plagiarist prime minister of the ruling communist-in-democratic-cloth party,. The election campaign and process was dirty, due to maneuvers of the communist party (buying old people's votes, moving buses of 'tourists' from village to village to vote on supplementary lists, releasing structural funds for schools and university salaries right before elections, as if the money was theirs, preventing romanians abroad to vote, and so on). But each such maneuver elicited, finally!!!, in the younger part of the population a huge contrary movement. I'm happy to say that the city i live in, Cluj-Napoca, brought 20000 people in the street. It was a great surprise, a lot of us had been very pessimistic about the result.

Muirium
µ

18 Nov 2014, 12:58

Can't say I know the least bit about Romanian politics, but people power's great when it rallies folk together against the tired, incompetent, and desperate old establishment. The concept of urban, young people coming out in support of a right wing candidate is completely alien here in Scotland; but that's because our politics has been lumped with England's for centuries, and our own right wing is nowhere to be seen. A big surge of people on the streets, determined to be heard, was the one thing our recent independence campaign lacked. Election day was quiet, but for a whole lot of voting. And we lost. I see the connection!

Also a good sign that Romania's open to a leader from a German background. (I wouldn't actually call Iohannis "German" though, as Wikipedia says his birthplace was slap bang in the middle of Romania.) Back in 2005, one of Britain's two contenders for Prime Minister was of Romanian Jewish descent, and the press here just loved to use the evil term: "there's something of the night about him" that one of his enemies coined, to pick on his supposedly sinister foreignness. Mind, the guy was a creep in his own right, but xenophobic dog-whistle politics like that rubs me up the wrong way. Not that leftie Scots like me were the ones that arrow was aimed at.

7bit

18 Nov 2014, 13:15

Congratulations!!!
:-)

Hope, Romania gets now back on track.

He isn't actually from Germany, but belongs to the German minority in Romania.

You can beat this by voting for a Scotsman as president of the UK.
:cool:

wait!?
:?

Muirium
µ

18 Nov 2014, 13:18

I'd love an elected President here. (Or a directly elected Prime Minister, who could be the same thing in all but name, as we've already got a nonpolitical head of state.) But putting that distinction aside, we Scots already had our turn this century. Gordon Brown took over from Tony Blair in 2007… and was duly thrown out of power at his first general election in 2010.

Yay…

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

18 Nov 2014, 13:21

hey all right, best of luck.

KYBD2014 FREE THE KEYS :lol:

Laser
emacs -nw

18 Nov 2014, 13:35

:) Thanks - to see the difference, i'll just mention that, if the other candidate won, the first law to be passed would have been to free from prison political people recently convicted for corruption. It's a battle for the justice system ownership (of course, i won't say justice is now completely neutral, but one thing for sure is that the communist party's - which has majority in parliament - main goal is to put their hand on the justice system, which, for better or worse, started to give results, and which is the only part they don't control). I think 2/3 or 3/4 of the parliament members have opened cases for corruption, so they fight for their lives.

Compgeke

16 Dec 2014, 08:24

You know, if you're a spammer going to copy-paste into a thread to post something I would always hope you wouldn't copy the first post...or at least copy one that isn't on the same page.

Return to “Off-topic”