1 year anniversary of being a Deskthority member

Madhias
BS TORPE

23 Dec 2014, 22:39

Well, almost one year anniversary for me - but i am two days late! I just wanted to report back some things that come to my mind. If i were drunken right now i would say i love you all.

Tl;dr: found a new, great hobby, have spent a lot of money on keyboard and accessoires.

• I have so many keyboards now:

- Realforce 87UW 55g (typing on it right now, i *love* it)
- 3 x SSK (2, 1 NIB in the mail)
- Filco TKL with a mixture of different MX switches like mainly Whites and Greens and some Clears
- 2 x 60% FaceU replica PCBs, and one case
- 2 x 101 key Model Ms, one NIB (and yet not opened)
- a chopped G80-11800
- Model F AT (which i cleaned, and used for about 1 hour typing on it without being attached)
- a 3278 beam spring which has to be restored
- and an undefined not cleaned Alps keyboard

→ all that in 12 months :shock:

• Endless group buys: as soon as i think i don't need anything else a new interesting group buy happens! Sometimes i get packages or shipping notices from things i bought i don't even remember anymore. It is a little bit like christmas all the time.

• I fell in love with artisan caps! Those caps keep the keyboard hobby going on, and if i don't need another keyboard anymore or found my - temporary - Holy Grail, the keyboard could be even better with just one for example Click Clack cap - which is for me the final touch on every keyboard.

Deskthority is the first internet forum were i do post and participate (a little bit), and not only lurk like on all the others i am registered since years. Well, i was/am active on 4chan, but i think that does not count as a 'normal' forum. I am also active on Geekhack, but not that much like at DT. I never got into Reddit, i tried it so many times in the last years, but something is preventing me to be more active there too.

• The DT spy is my frontpage of the internet :) Sometimes the DT spy is slow, and when there is nothing happening, i'll check the GH spy. But the GH spy is too fast, sometimes it is just a fraction of what is posted there in one day.

My keyboard related to-do list for the next year is:

- restoring the beam spring keyboard (someone has a spare ENTER cap?)
- building a TKL keyboard with the DT GON PCB but a custom case (huhuu matt3o?)
- sorting almost 2Kg of Round 5 caps
- getting more Click Clack caps
...and many more things!

Ascaii
The Beard

24 Dec 2014, 00:30

Rules 1&2 ;)

I am very happy you enjoy being here as much as we all do. The vision that Sixty and Webwit had really seems to have come true and DT has grown to be the community they imagined. A place for people to share and revel in their hobby.
I am proud to be a part of it!

My personal list for the next year:

-find more strange and rare things
-document the split board prototype I have and repost it (I seriously cannot believe i didnt get nominated for best find in the DT awards)
-build the GON and perhaps a hyper
-get my phantom board from Half-saint and play with keyboard layouts
-program split access boards and perhaps work on replacing the controllers
-sort out all the junk i have here and get rid of some keyboards (100+ in boxes and my cellar)
-get more active in the forum again
-finally take the pictures i promised Daniel for the Wiki a year ago (sorry bro)

Maybe we could make this thread the "my personal list of keyboard related things to do in 2015"

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 Dec 2014, 16:37

this is a nice topic. I joined DT on 22 Nov 2013, 21:20. I was lurking around quite a while before that. I did join GH before but never took part or even lurked, don´t know why really. Since late 2012 I have bought these(not in this order):

Apple Adjustable
Apple AEK2
Apple M0118
Dell AT102
Ducky Zero
Cherry G81 1000 HBD
Chicony KB-5591
Commodre PC-1
Commodore PC-5
Focus FK-2002
Filco Majestouch TKL
IBM Model M SSK
IBM Model M Silver Label
IBM Model M 122-key terminal Silver Label
IBM IBM 3104 Keyboard
IBM Personal Computer AT keyboard
IBM Personal Computer XT keyboard
MICRO SWITCH SW-10591
NEC APC-H412
NTC KB-6151N
Sanyo/Fujitsu FKB4700
Zenith ZKB-2

I learned a LOT about keyboards here, mostly old ones since that´s my preference. This is the only online community that I really frequently visit and participate. I get good feedback here and there is usually room for a joke or two. I got back into photography because of my KB hobby and this forum. Another neat little side effect for me is the language English. Because I´m here quite a bit, reading and writing (typing) my English has improved, although speaking to others would be useful also. All in all it´s been a very positive experience so far. I´m at a point where I don´t set myself too many "to do´s" for 2015. I don`t know if that´s good or not.

I can´t put it better than Ascaii:
I am very happy you enjoy being here as much as we all do. The vision that Sixty and Webwit had really seems to have come true and DT has grown to be the community they imagined. A place for people to share and revel in their hobby. I am proud to be a part of it!
Cheers everybody!

Return to “Off-topic”