Toaster modding

LLRnR
\m/

13 Jan 2015, 21:29

Sorry if it's too off-topic even for the Off-topic section, but this all-so-serious toaster modding tutorial really made me laugh out loud. Plus, the guy is actually using an IBM Model M.

scottc

13 Jan 2015, 21:53

Nothing is ever too off-topic!

Real toaster pros mod their toasting devices to run NetBSD... and a HHKB (lite)!

http://www.embeddedarm.com/software/arm ... oaster.php

chzel

13 Jan 2015, 21:57

Let's not forget our own resident toaster modder!
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/toas ... t6861.html!

LLRnR
\m/

13 Jan 2015, 22:09

scottc wrote: Real toaster pros mod their toasting devices to run NetBSD... and a HHKB (lite)!

http://www.embeddedarm.com/software/arm ... oaster.php

Haha, cool! I'd heard of the NetBSD-operated toaster, but I didn't know it had all been done with a HHKB :P Well, NetBSD was designed with portability in mind, after all.
chzel wrote: Let's not forget our own resident toaster modder!
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/toas ... t6861.html!
:shock: Now that's really... wow! (I love this forum!)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

13 Jan 2015, 22:16

ahh yes the toaster modding. Once you take that step there's no turning back... :lol:

Using an HHKB makes the project more "up-scale". :mrgreen:

7bit

13 Jan 2015, 22:23

Soon available:
HyperToast - the toaster with self-awareness!
:ugeek:

chzel

13 Jan 2015, 22:27

"Soon"???
Your jokes are getting more and more twisted...
:evilgeek:

Halvar

13 Jan 2015, 22:30

Even sooner available:

ToastBot - the toaster without UI!

(you make it toast your bread by sending

SLICES/LIGHTBROWN 2

to user ToastBot)

LLRnR
\m/

13 Jan 2015, 22:39

7bit wrote: Soon available:
You mean like this? :P
hyper-toast9000.jpg
hyper-toast9000.jpg (148.67 KiB) Viewed 10469 times

seebart

13 Jan 2015, 22:42

Soon available:
ToastBot - the toaster without UI!

(you make it toast your bread by sending

SLICES/LIGHTBROWN 2

to user ToastBot)

the 4G 4k Toast APP with oculus rift option will make all that obsolete...

hyper toast 9000... :? ...at least they are using an Amiga 2000 which is probably THE best piece of hardware in that room!

snoopy

13 Jan 2015, 23:03

not a toaster, but I ordered this some time ago:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... affle-iron

:D

seebart

13 Jan 2015, 23:24

haha that's great snoopy, I love it!

;)

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

14 Jan 2015, 19:51

In 2008 I found the same model toaster as featured in Look Around You, IIRC a Salton made in Italy with an ambiguous date stamp inside possibly of 1978. I even bought a McGraw-Hill book on the GPIB capabilities of the PET. Another project to restart someday - if only I had space for a PET...

elecplus

14 Jan 2015, 22:43

Boy am I a dunce! Unisys made small boxes commonly called "toasters", and I thought that's what this topic was about :lol:
They were made in the 1980s, and IIRC, they were a storage attachment of some sort that could be attached to a terminal, instead of relying on the mainframe storage. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :-)

chzel

14 Jan 2015, 22:52

seebart

14 Jan 2015, 22:55

elecplus wrote: Boy am I a dunce! Unisys made small boxes commonly called "toasters", and I thought that's what this topic was about :lol:
:lol: :mrgreen:

very gernerous of you to give me (us) a laugh!

elecplus wrote: They were made in the 1980s, and IIRC, they were a storage attachment of some sort that could be attached to a terminal, instead of relying on the mainframe storage. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :-)
sorry I don't have that knowledge. But chzel does, good!

klikkyklik

15 Jan 2015, 15:45

LLRnR wrote: Sorry if it's too off-topic even for the Off-topic section, but this all-so-serious toaster modding tutorial really made me laugh out loud. Plus, the guy is actually using an IBM Model M.
AHAHAHAHA!!! That's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time! How on earth did you stumble across that?

seebart

15 Jan 2015, 16:10

There's a lot of "crazy" stuff like that on the internet!

andrewjoy

15 Jan 2015, 21:11

LLRnR wrote:
You mean like this? :P
hyper-toast9000.jpg

HA

that would have been better if it had a video toaster installed as well :)

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2015, 21:16

What were they thinking? The whole point of TOASTER is Amiga!
1990s TV would have been impossible without an army of these in every video production house.

andrewjoy

15 Jan 2015, 21:18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyGCYoZ5Nlk

i love the computer chronicles

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2015, 22:07

I had that video in mind when I searched. But the one I found was more cheesy, so that won! The Chronicles segment is definitely worth a watch.

I had an Amiga using friend back then who would go on about this awesome (and unobtainium) thing called the Video Toaster that pros used for video effects on their Amigas, and pointed out the kind of stuff it could do whenever he spotted transitions that looked its style on TV. I thought he was full of shit. Where were the sprites? Amigas, please! Yet it was true.

andrewjoy

15 Jan 2015, 23:21

i was always a Acorn man, with the amazing RISC OS, none of this dos/windows peasant OS.

Halvar

16 Jan 2015, 01:24

andrewjoy wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyGCYoZ5Nlk

i love the computer chronicles
"You know, video is everywhere, kind of the new literacy". What a prophetic statement in 1990.

Muirium
µ

16 Jan 2015, 01:34

That was the awesome thing about those days. They could see where we were headed in many ways, but the internet (and especially the popularity of user generated content) blindsided them. We were all thinking about how we'd share documents, photos, whatever between people we already knew. Or how connectivity would open up push media like TV to vague new "interactive" (not really interactive) horizons. I don't think anyone ever predicted selfies, viral videos, and the anonymously created memes so rife today. Just like we can't see what the next thing will be.

Another classic from that era is The Machine That Changed the World. The episode of that series about the internet is just mind boggling. To really access "cyberspace", you gotta have a treadmill! I like the one on AI, too. Wonder whatever happened to the projects they featured.

snoopy

16 Jan 2015, 13:56

Halvar

16 Jan 2015, 15:15

Muirium wrote: Another classic from that era is The Machine That Changed the World. The episode of that series about the internet is just mind boggling. To really access "cyberspace", you gotta have a treadmill! I like the one on AI, too. Wonder whatever happened to the projects they featured.
Thanks! Watched the first part, really interesting, I will definitely watch the other ones. OK, giving the English voice of Konrad Zuse a thick German accent was really cheesy, but well, those were different times... Otherwise, great storytelling and some details I had never heard of before.

seebart

16 Jan 2015, 20:47

that´s an awesome Nintoaster snoopy!

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

18 Jan 2015, 16:33

yes but it takes 2 years to make the toast :(

snoopy

18 Jan 2015, 17:05

sth wrote:
yes but it takes 2 years to make the toast :(
and another 2 to get it out of the toaster

Return to “Off-topic”