[SHIPPING] Granite Set ~ 100% PBT ~ Dye Sub ~ DSA

prava

11 Dec 2014, 19:02

Hypersphere wrote:
prava wrote: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/thi ... e-sub-pbt/

Isn't this a pseudo-granite? Colours look really similar (haven't checked Granite's color code), and they are also dye-sub on PBT (and DSA, obv).
Yes, looks like a sort-of copy of the Granite set.
Then it's clearly disrespectful towards matt3o's work, as the intend is to copy his design. Heck, colours are 90% the same, and so are some modifiers...

Hypersphere

11 Dec 2014, 20:24

prava wrote:
Hypersphere wrote:
prava wrote: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/thi ... e-sub-pbt/

Isn't this a pseudo-granite? Colours look really similar (haven't checked Granite's color code), and they are also dye-sub on PBT (and DSA, obv).
Yes, looks like a sort-of copy of the Granite set.
Then it's clearly disrespectful towards matt3o's work, as the intend is to copy his design. Heck, colours are 90% the same, and so are some modifiers...
Violation of intellectual property rights is one of my top pet peeves in life. Unfortunately, even if you have filed a copyright or patent, there are those who will blatantly copy your work for their own gain with no regard for ethics or the law.

prava

11 Dec 2014, 20:28

I thought SP fabbed matt3o's GB? If so, how do they allow it?!?!?!?!

Eszett

11 Dec 2014, 20:31

What more respect do you want, than someone copying your work? And, with all respect for matt3o, I don’t think his work is something worthy of copyright. Not even the font is his own, so what is? Some color scheme? This idea of copyright exceeds to pervy measures. Please stop this.

Muirium
µ

11 Dec 2014, 20:36

The Think Different set is actually an homage / rip of Apple's legends:

Look at the font on Think Different's alphas, it's meant to be close to Apple's choice of VAG Rounded:

Instead of Matteo's excellent pick of gorgeous Gotham:

I'm not a fan of VAG. (It's really the Volkswagen font.) Gotham is so much better it's just night and day between Granite and my Mac!

The icon mods on Granite are quite close to Apple's, though. That's actually because Apple followed Unicode on its ISO keyboards. (I pestered Matt to include Apple's unusual chevron character for Control, though.) So it's not much of a surprise to see convergence here. I don't particularly like the Think Different set (I won't be buying it) but I wouldn't tar it as nothing but a shameless Granite ripoff either.

chzel

11 Dec 2014, 20:41

prava wrote: I thought SP fabbed matt3o's GB? If so, how do they allow it?!?!?!?!
Oh, come on..It is inspired by Granite and probably trying to "cash in" on Granite's success, but it's in no way a "blatant copy".
Different colours, different font (according to mock-up).
Yes it is dye-subbed PBT DSA in grey. Granite R1 made the tech available so someone sooner or later would use it.
If I decided to run a GB for dark brown double shot SA, should SP reject it because Filco did it first?

Hypersphere

12 Dec 2014, 00:55

Some points well taken. Sometimes copyright infringement can indeed be taken to extremes. Do I recall correctly that Apple had essentially claimed the rights to the rectangle in their dispute with Samsung, or was this an April Fool's joke?

victorhooi

19 Jan 2015, 22:08

Bit of a long shot, but does anybody have any 1x GKK (Light Grey) Blanks they'd be willing to sell?

Basically, I'm currently making up a Granite set, and I'm just a few of those short =(.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Jan 2015, 11:28

just to be clear. I don't think it's a copy of granite, I believe that it takes advantage of Granite success for sure and: 1) I'm happy if granite helped the author 2) I'm flattered to be of inspiration.

drrtyrokka

21 Jan 2015, 19:23

Yea, my Granite Round 2 set finally arrived.
Unfortunately a lot of keys are missing/wrong printed here and there, especially in the International Kit...
I hope Massdrop/SP can handle this.

I mixed Round 1 and 2 and created two new setups. I'm sharin':
https://imgur.com/a/IFOnF

Because of the lack of the international keys, I did'nt use them at all. Instead a beautiful mono legend variant.
Though I really like the crispy red look of the secondary legends. I hope we will get this fixed soon :(

All in all, I like what I see :) Thanks matt3o, again, thanks.

Muirium
µ

21 Jan 2015, 19:32

drrtyrokka wrote: Because of the lack of the international keys, I did'nt use them at all…
You had my hopes up for the elusive Mµ key for a moment there, until I checked your pictures.

Blast! Every bloody one uses that cap!

OperationT

07 Oct 2015, 07:34

matt3o wrote: next time I'll do DCS or SA, depending on PBT availability.

edit: we are talking 2016 of course, because I had enough
Is it 2016 yet? :P I would kill for these in SA profile :o Those modifier key symbols are so nicely done - elegant and modern. And it's just amazing these also came in blanks! I wish I was born 2 years earlier to make it to this post in time.

Are SA's still planned for 2016, or are there any plans for earlier?

Delete

31 Dec 2015, 03:07

Cyrillic come back please

SA profile is good choose
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Parjánya

31 Dec 2015, 03:14

well, a bit of a random question, but why is cyrillic so sought after?

zslane

31 Dec 2015, 07:16

It's not. Not really. But a handful of folks think Cyrillic sub-legends look "cool" or "sexy" or "use-your-favorite-superlative".

Also, SA Granite doesn't get my motor started to be honest. I'd much rather see a Dolch SA instead.

Plasmodium

23 Feb 2016, 17:16

Is there somewhere with a list of the sets that were available in R2 and/or R3? I might be selling one or two of my kits and I want to check how complete they are, but I can only find R4 details these days!

I did have a brief look back through this and the other Granite thread, but maybe I missed it?

mansato

26 Oct 2016, 16:53

I have a keyboard to equip of cherry mx blue I would like to place an order of keycaps in AZERTY keyboard FR but I arrive not has to find quite keycaps :(

We can give me a link to be able to order it ? thank you

jebbra

27 Oct 2016, 06:32

mansato wrote: I have a keyboard to equip of cherry mx blue I would like to place an order of keycaps in AZERTY keyboard FR but I arrive not has to find quite keycaps :(

We can give me a link to be able to order it ? thank you
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-granite-keyset/

Return to “Group buys”