Looking for a new keyboard/mouse to alleviate some pain

msangapu

24 Mar 2014, 22:22

I've been having some pain (mainly in my right arm) where my ulnar nerve goes to sleep. I've started to wear a brace at night which helps quite a bit, but then during the day, the problem arises again when I'm at work typing away...

I'm pretty sure it's my ergonomics of my workstation. I'm working on fixing that, but I also started looking into alternative keyboards and mouses. Do you guys have any recommendation on which keyboard and mouse can alleviate some of my pain?

I was leaning towards the microsoft natural keyboard and something like a finger or a pen mouse.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you.

Muirium
µ

24 Mar 2014, 22:36

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of ergonomics! Something with a different shape from an ordinary, flat keyboard could well be a good move for you.

Look down at your hands when you type and see how splayed your wrists are, and the complexity that causes inside. Also try figuring out where the weight of your arms is going. I slump all over the place when I work sitting down and have mixed in a good bit of standing upright into what I do. My shoulders were my problem, and they're much improved now I have more than one work environment, and put higher bars on my bike!

Ergos really are the deep end of the whole keyboard universe. One man's heaven is another's hell. Exploring things for yourself, first hand, is the way to go. And seeing as you're starting from the beginning, any half sensible ergo keyboard will likely be a real step up, and highly informative.

Return to “Deskthority talk”