GH and DK.

Eszett

10 May 2014, 22:05

Why is there a feud between Geekhack forum and Deskthority forum? Can someone explain the background about the relationship?

Muirium
µ

10 May 2014, 22:19

Geekhack hates Denmark…

Also: try reading this.

http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/gh ... t5859.html

Lots of fun but no real answers. Which is essentially the truth.

Eszett

10 May 2014, 22:48

@Muirium I don’t want to bash or prefer any forum, just a sketch profile. Geekhack was the first forum for keyboard enthusiasts, right? For example, rknize said «The two sites attract different demographics and have different atmospheres.» GH attracts mostly people from Noth America and USA, while Deskthority is frequented by Europeans. The atmosphere of GH is gay and loose, and more aesthetics oriented, while on DK it is technically oriented and more stiff / informative. There is no feud, both respect each other.
Last edited by Eszett on 10 May 2014, 22:56, edited 3 times in total.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

10 May 2014, 22:49

I don't think GH hates Denmark, at least I see more danes over there than here on DT!

But really, Deskthority and Geekhack doesn't hate each other, they just have a different focus.
The real question is however, why does reddit hate geekhack? ;)

Edit: What you quoted rknize for is pretty much spot on.
Last edited by Broadmonkey on 10 May 2014, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

ne0phyte
Toast.

10 May 2014, 22:49

Not commenting on the actual question, but Deskthority is usually shortened to "DT" :P

JBert

10 May 2014, 23:08

Eszett wrote:Geekhack was the first forum for keyboard enthusiasts, right?
That's not really true, while I'm too lazy to Google iMav's posts I do recall that he said that he was inspired by the Asian forums, so those forums must have existed before GeekHack.

EDIT: Ooh, found one post here:
Imav wrote:The reason I created geekhack is because there were no English-speaking communities dedicated to computer keyboards and other input devices.

I was simply looking to discuss such things with other like-minded enthusiasts.
Last edited by JBert on 10 May 2014, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 May 2014, 23:10

Last month 61.2% of our traffic was from the US. They sure like keyboards.

photekq
Cherry Picker

10 May 2014, 23:22

As people have said I don't think GH and DT hate each other. They're just different forums. I frequent both forums, and like both of them equally.. just in different ways.
Broadmonkey wrote:The real question is however, why does reddit hate geekhack? ;)
Ripster :roll:

Muirium
µ

10 May 2014, 23:40

There is a bit of friendly friction – usually over GH's moderation policies – like this, today:

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... ml#p162274
http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8 ... ml#p162173

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 May 2014, 00:27

it's like US vs Canada. Atari vs Amiga. Sega vs Nintendo. Ripster vs Rest of the world.

humans need rivalry and competition. it's part of the game.

webwit
Wild Duck

11 May 2014, 00:29

As long as we're Amiga.
matt3o wrote:it's like US vs Denmark.
FTFY.

Muirium
µ

11 May 2014, 00:52

webwit wrote:Last month 61.2% of our traffic was from the US. They sure like keyboards.
Pretty staggering, compared to how much of the discussion comes from Americans. A lot of traffic must be coming in for the wiki or other links, I suppose. Unless lurking is a new American pastime. I wouldn't think so, though; not as skewed as that, at least.

webwit
Wild Duck

11 May 2014, 00:58

They like watching other nations. :evilgeek: It varies between 45-60%.

Empirically deskthority has almost no rules or moderation. We prefer the proverbial stare down.

Topre Enthusiast

11 May 2014, 01:03

Haha I remember that guy. He does the piss-take of David Blaine.

webwit
Wild Duck

11 May 2014, 01:32

Now now, are we getting off-topic?

Surely this is one of the adverse effects of low moderation. Unless it awakens the Demongolator.

ne0phyte
Toast.

11 May 2014, 02:35

Well, if thread starters care they can always tell everyone who posted OT to fuck off and go hijack a different thread. Then the OP is being growled at for insulting people and that's it.

I much prefer the direct way here where you can say whatever you want and if it's against the etiquette the community will serve justice :mrgreen:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 May 2014, 08:15

ne0phyte wrote:[…] I much prefer the direct way here where you can say whatever you want and if it's against the etiquette the community will serve justice :mrgreen:
That's one of the main reasons why I clearly prefer DT.

Another one is the much better readability of DT.
Spoiler:
On GH you can choose between these themes:

Image The "Nostalgia" theme, which is used by 8336 people. This is the default theme, i.e. the one you see when not logged in.

Image The "Oranje" theme, which is used by 57 people.

Image The "Thoriated" theme, which is used by 293 people.

Image The "Austere" theme, which is used by 23328 people.

Perhaps GH should consider making the last one, which is preferred by quite exactly three quarters of the 31728 GH members, the default theme.
Still another reason is GH's rather commercial orientation, with the "vendor forums" (25500 posts, probably a great deal of them by the vendors themselves) as the first item in the list of the subforums of the marketplace, and not the "classifieds" (with 137874 posts, which is far more than 5 times as many).

Dubsgalore

11 May 2014, 21:32

I started on Geekhack but over time I've been moving more and more onto DT. The Community is much more mature and there's much more knowledge over here. Everyone is really friendly and it just feels right :roll:

personally..I'd go to geekhack for drama and keycaps, and DT for information, good conversation and keyboards

Daniel Beardsmore

11 May 2014, 23:50

The rate of discovery of interesting boards has declined on both, so neither is in my good books at the moment ;-)

HID45

21 May 2014, 19:44

Muirium wrote:Geekhack hates Denmark…
Why would anyone hate Denmark? They are fun little posse. Gotta respect ppl who are able to laugh at themselves. I lurk both forums but see that much more here than on GH.

Muirium
µ

21 May 2014, 19:48

Look at the thread title. Hell of a place to make a typo.

HID45

21 May 2014, 19:59

Yes, I got that :) It was too hilarious to pass.

Still, Danes are lovely.

mr_a500

21 May 2014, 20:48

HID45 wrote:
Muirium wrote:Geekhack hates Denmark…
Why would anyone hate Denmark? They are fun little posse. Gotta respect ppl who are able to laugh at themselves.
"He gave me a file, but then I had no choice. I just had to take it."

Sounds like some of my eBay purchases lately.

TacticalStache

21 May 2014, 23:19

Every keyboard forum hates every other one. It happens on the Chinese and Korean forums as well.

I wish that we could all band together and stop hating each other but I know that it's impossible because everyone's a little bit different.

Muirium
µ

21 May 2014, 23:23

Nah, I don't think "DT hates GH" at all. A lot of people here are active on both. I'm the odd one out (same username at GH but still to make my first post…) but I don't dislike GH, I simply don't prefer it. DT is easier to grok, and mostly closer to my part of the world, too.

Eszett

21 May 2014, 23:36

Well, besides the little differences in spirit and community I noticed that the Deskthoriy forum software is top notch in terms of functionality and aesthetics. The Geekhack forum software on the other side is “agreeable”.

Muirium
µ

21 May 2014, 23:50

One of the better things about DT culture is that we can talk shit as much as we like. No need to call a spade a personal earth moving device!

GH used to look terrible when I first chose where to go in the community. It improved sometime last year, but the tight style verging on austere elegance here is hands down my favourite thing about DT's look. You can't easily shove your shit in other people's faces. Janky sigs, monstrous avatars, and overstyled text be damned!

webwit
Wild Duck

21 May 2014, 23:56

Muirium wrote:One of the better things about DT culture is that we can talk shit as much as we like.
Beware the Demongolator for his rule is merciless! (rare footage)
Spoiler:
Muirium wrote:GH used to look terrible when I first chose where to go in the community. It improved sometime last year, but the tight style verging on austere elegance here is hands down my favourite thing about DT's look. You can't easily shove your shit in other people's faces. Janky sigs, monstrous avatars, and overstyled text be damned!
A responsive design would be nice though.

Muirium
µ

22 May 2014, 00:13

So long as it lets me jack up the text size for my lazy old man eyes (same as they've always been). Responsive designs that thwart me get quite a "response" all right…

Demongolation? Oh, right, we're off topic. Back to bashing Danes. Bloody Vikings!

Madhias
BS TORPE

22 May 2014, 11:11

GeekHack and Donkey Kong (not Denmark)!

I don't like at GH simple things like the post count below the to big avatars, the signatures, the 'show-what-you-have' attitude, these off-topic threads like 'how-i-shit-today', but i do like the drama, the artisan caps and the creative output.

I do like at DT the clean look, the understatement, the vintage flair, rude attacks of mods or other old members, no big rules, and a lot of things - and as i said - Ché got me.

I would like to have at DT a nice looking dark night theme (grey), because when reading on my tablet in the bed it's just too bright (even on the darkest brightness mode). But's that's another story, and not related to this topic.

Return to “Deskthority talk”