Today was the day...

cookie

20 Feb 2014, 18:10

I'd love to hear some ModelF office storry :D

Now after I have used topre a good amount of time I am quite happy that it got recognized by its sound :)
Usually my co workers are shoked because it has no labeling.

The funy thing for me is that they notice the small form but they have absolutely no clue what is missing.

Muirium
µ

20 Feb 2014, 18:16

Exactly! Numberpads, function keys and even navigation arrows are feature bloat for a lot of people. They don't use them. They merely want them there "just in case".

That's why SSKs are rarer than full-size Model Ms. IBM sold them for the same price. But value!

Compgeke

20 Feb 2014, 21:27

The more people talk about not needed a numberpad the more I feel like the minority using scroll lock still (because I kind of am).

Vierax

20 Feb 2014, 21:39

I kept Scroll Lock in my Tipro but I add Pause in Fn layer of this key. those two keys are useful in unix tty :)

No remark of coworkers since I don't paint with my computer ^^"

adhoc

21 Feb 2014, 01:02

No. One time, a coworker grabbed my cellphone and tried using it as a mouse, which says all really.

Britney Spears

21 Feb 2014, 08:10

madhias wrote: Well seen! Not that big into mountain biking, but i have a lot of stuff from Hope. For example a Hope Pro 2 hub (the same like using clicky keyboards), a seatpost, etc. A Hope break i had, but sold. But all on a commuter style bike, a mixture between a mountain bike and street bike.
Now i'm riding a Salsa frame, with a Tune hub - but not as loud as the Pro 2 hub :)
The Hope and Chris King hubs are really the Model Ms and Fs of the bicycle component world. My 29er is graced by a Hope Trials Hub which is even louder then the regular Hopes as it has 48 instead of 24 engagement points.

bhtooefr

21 Feb 2014, 10:12

I don't know, put a Sturmey-Archer 8-speed in any gear that involves stage 3 (4th, 6th, 7th, or 8th), and start pedaling, and it sounds like a pack of bees chasing you. 8th is probably worst, because you've got every freewheel in the hub EXCEPT the output one overrunning, including the pack-of-bees third stage.

Mind you, that's only when you're actually pedaling. It's pretty quiet when coasting.

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2014, 10:43

Hub gears, eh? I have such frequent misery with exposed derailler(?) style gears — so ubiquitous in Britain we don't even have a name for them, they are "gears" — that they could be worth investigating. They've got to be easier on chains, right? I destroy a good chain in months, and a "cassette" in a year. Right now I'm down to 3 selectable gears from the 8, and it's not 9 months old.

This is a famously rainy, muddy and downright boggy island. And yet we use impractical, naked gears…

bhtooefr

21 Feb 2014, 11:49

So, hub gears aren't directly that much easier on chains, although you do maintain perfect chainline at all times with one, so the chain always runs straight, which does help matters some.

However, they enable a few things that are easier on chains.

First off, because you're not derailing the chain and needing it to fit between sprockets, 1/8" pitch chain can be used (and many IGH setups come with sprockets that require it, in fact, although you can convert everything to 3/32" sprockets if you prefer, and Rohloffs only support 3/32" sprockets). This means you can get a hell of a lot more life out of a chain.

Then, because you typically tension the chain by moving the hub back and forth in the dropouts or track ends (converting an existing vertical dropout frame will require a chain tensioner though), or moving an eccentric bottom bracket, you can then easily put a chaincase on, and protect the entire chain from dirt even hitting it. Can't do that nearly as effectively with derailleur gearing.

Oh, and you can also shift at a complete stop, no having to shift before you stop.

The main downsides to IGH... cost is a bit high (OK, for a Rohloff it's REALLY high, but that's an absolutely bombproof hub), weight distribution is quite rear-biased (and some hubs are friggin' heavy (I'm looking at you, SRAM G8), but even for the lighter ones, you're moving weight that used to be distributed around the drivetrain to the center of the rear wheel), shifting under load is generally a bad idea (even if the hub maker says you can do it, it's still a bad idea - on the flip side, though, you can stop pedaling for a split second, shift, start pedaling, and you're instantly in the gear, no need to wait for the chain to jump to the sprocket), and quick releases are almost unheard of in the IGH world (unless you go Rohloff).

As far as what hubs are good... I'll talk about the manufacturers first. Sturmey-Archer tends to give quite good support for their hubs, at least in the US, with spare parts and all if one needs to be rebuilt. Shimano... their version of spare parts support is "here, you can buy an entire internal assembly", not just the part that broke. SRAM depends on where you are, in the US, they barely even acknowledge that they make any hub gears, but in Europe, I hear that their German office (which is basically what's left of the bicycle part of Sachs after SRAM bought them and their hubs up, and is the division of SRAM that actually designs the hub gears) provides decent support.

Everyone makes a good 3-speed nowadays, although Sturmey-Archer's is kinda legendary (and it's what everyone else's is based on), and works in narrower frames than the others. Also, there's a few different shift cable layouts for 3-speed hubs - the indicator chain method that Sturmey-Archer's been using since 1902 (which comes out of the axle, outside of the frame), the bellcrank method that Shimano uses (also outside of the frame), the clickbox that Sachs/SRAM used to use for everything, but SRAM only uses on the DD3 now, which isn't what you want (it's a 3-speed IGH that takes a 8, 9, or 10-speed cassette)), and rotary shifting (which is inside of the frame, and Sturmey-Archer (optional) and now SRAM use it)

Going beyond that... 5-speed means you're looking at Sturmey-Archer's S50(W) family, C50 family, or a Shimano Nexus 5-speed that's only intended for Asian markets (edit: or not, the post I had read claiming that was wrong). The original S50 had a bad track record, but the S50(W) does fine AFAIK. The S50 has indicator chain shifting, the C50 has rotary shifting, and not sure about the Nexus 5.

The Nexus 7 is, AFAIK, also a decent hub. No direct drive gear, but then, many IGHs don't have their direct drive gear in a useful place, so...

Then you get to the 8-speeds. No point in getting the SRAM G8, it's way too heavy and has mediocre range. The Shimano Nexus 8s are good, the Alfine 8s are really good, from what I've heard. The Sturmey-Archer S80(W) has wider range, although it's quirky as hell (first gear is direct drive - GREAT for small-wheeled bikes), and isn't that efficient in higher gears, but they don't blow up like the original S80s did, so there is that. I've got one on my recumbent trike, and generally like it.

Beyond that... the last options left are the Alfine 11 and the Rohloff 14. You're paying a lot either way, it's just whether you pay a lot, or an arm and a leg. The Alfine 11 is a much weaker hub, but is sometimes seen as a "poor man's Rohloff".
Last edited by bhtooefr on 22 Feb 2014, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2014, 12:54

Hmm, interesting. Now I remember what reading about mech keyboards was like when I knew nothing about them. "MX clear? Buckling spring? Dyesubs?" Still, there's a learning curve to everything of course.

My current setup is a chunky old 1990s Trek mountain bike frame with 3 speeds on the front and 8 on the back. The back is where all my problems lie. I use some pretty wild gear combinations, all the way from 48:13 (my main about-town gear that I still have left…) and a much slower than direct drive 22:30 when I go up the real hills, which we have in abundance here. I'm a weird hybrid of road riding and hill climbing, as I take my bike all over. Not exactly off-road (I see guys up to pretty wild stuff in the Pentlands) but definitely steeper than most people would countenance.

So yeah, a lot of range would be my primary interest. I'm a heavy dude anyway (100 kg with my bag) so I don't notice weight distribution as much as most folk. All this riding doesn't seem to burn off any kilos for me, although I've stamina and legs I'm proud of from it!

input

21 Feb 2014, 14:14

I am the only person with a keyboard in the office, most people are happy typing on non standard layout dell laptop keyboards, that drove me insane.

The only remarks I have got is about the side printed key caps, cherry mx browns with o-rings are super office friendly.

I am waiting until April 1st to bring in my model M again, but I do have a F AT, that will be more fun I think:

rindorbrot

21 Feb 2014, 16:41

Haha, April 1st is a good idea ;)

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2014, 19:35

Anyone got a board full of Omron switches? Those make buckling spring seem like Topre…

tricheboars

24 Feb 2014, 23:07

Omrons in the cube farm is just cruel. plus a tremendous amount of force is needed for very tiny travel. omrons dont belong outside of a mouse. judge me if you will but cherry all the way when it comes to boards.

Muirium
µ

24 Feb 2014, 23:14

Not those Omrons. These Omrons:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Omron_B3G-S_series

Much worse! And better, of course.

cookie

26 Feb 2014, 16:22

I thought you guys mean the microswitches build for mices :D
Well the board you posted sounds decent!

dantan

12 Apr 2017, 05:24

CeeSA wrote: only a few people say something about my keyboard. My direct colleagues say: "He comes in the morning, push a few buttons, and the work is done from his programable keyboard alone."

Women tend to ask what is about. The pencil pushers are more afraid to said something wrong or make a bad joke.
office_desk.jpg
But most of them like to have a Nespresso Lungo with me. ;)

CeeSa, can I ask, how did you get that cool looking split setup in the picture? Really am looking for something like that.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Apr 2017, 07:41

dantan wrote:
CeeSA wrote: only a few people say something about my keyboard. My direct colleagues say: "He comes in the morning, push a few buttons, and the work is done from his programable keyboard alone."

Women tend to ask what is about. The pencil pushers are more afraid to said something wrong or make a bad joke.
office_desk.jpg

CeeSa, can I ask, how did you get that cool looking split setup in the picture? Really am looking for something like that.
That's a great job by CeeSA indeed:

Step 1:
photos-f62/new-workplace-keyboard-s-dou ... t2725.html

Step 2:
photos-f62/mod-add-a-trackpoint-to-a-ti ... t4214.html
leading to step 3 in the same thread:
photos-f62/mod-add-a-trackpoint-to-a-ti ... ml#p102984

snoopy

12 Apr 2017, 08:28

kbdfr wrote:
dantan wrote:

office_desk.jpg

That's a great job by CeeSA indeed:

Step 1:
photos-f62/new-workplace-keyboard-s-dou ... t2725.html

Step 2:
photos-f62/mod-add-a-trackpoint-to-a-ti ... t4214.html
leading to step 3 in the same thread:
photos-f62/mod-add-a-trackpoint-to-a-ti ... ml#p102984
First thing I noticed on ceesas desk was the nice Kaiser Idell lamp. :D

Cattus_D

12 Apr 2017, 08:57

I am afraid my mechanical keyboards (Model M, Model F, Matias Tactile Pro 4) are all too loud to bring to the office. I'd love to do it, though. I dislike typing on the cheap HP rubberdomes that we have, so I usually hook up my laptop to the monitor and type on its scissor-switch keys instead.

anorak

12 Apr 2017, 09:40

office_desk.jpg

Does the lamp on the left of the picture belong to you? If no, can I have it? :mrgreen: This should be a Kaiser Idell 6556 ...

cookie

12 Apr 2017, 10:44

You revive a dead thread just to derail it within 2 more posts?

andrewjoy

12 Apr 2017, 10:44

Cattus_D wrote: I am afraid my mechanical keyboards (Model M, Model F, Matias Tactile Pro 4) are all too loud to bring to the office. I'd love to do it, though. I dislike typing on the cheap HP rubberdomes that we have, so I usually hook up my laptop to the monitor and type on its scissor-switch keys instead.

Until i got my AEK1 i rocked a F122 at work .

If people don't like it they can use ear plugs

dantan

12 Apr 2017, 16:00

I think we're talking about different keyboards. I am referring to this one by CeeSA
resources/image/11443

It doesn't have a touchpad and looks smaller. Is that genovation?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Apr 2017, 17:40

dantan wrote: I think we're talking about different keyboards. I am referring to this one by CeeSA
resources/image/11443

It doesn't have a touchpad and looks smaller. Is that genovation?
If you mean my post above with links to CeeSA's threads,
we are talking about the exact same keyboards: 2 Tipro 12x8 matrix boards.

My first link shows his initial version with beige keyboards where he had added a touchpad,
my second link leads to the thread where he explained how to add a trackpoint to another Tipro model,
my third link shows how (in the same thread) he had implemented the trackpoint in his split (this time black) keyboard.

So it's a split keyboard consisting of two black Tipro 12x8 matrix keypads with an added trackpoint.
Which of course you would have seen if :mrgreen: you had also clicked on the third link, which shows this photo:

dantan

12 Apr 2017, 18:25

Ah... any way to get a somewhat similar setup without spending a ton of money or taking a lot of time?

taylorswiftttttt

12 Apr 2017, 18:57

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

snoopy

12 Apr 2017, 19:57

can we please get back to that Kaiser Idell lamp? it's more interesting than those stupid keyboards. :twisted:

I also got one on my desk. Should take a pic one day.

Madhias
BS TORPE

12 Apr 2017, 20:09

In which picture is this lamp? I looked again for it right now.

snoopy

12 Apr 2017, 20:30

Madhias wrote: In which picture is this lamp? I looked again for it right now.

office_desk.jpg
On ceesas desk. :D next to the monitor. You might be distracted from the keyboard on that pic. It's like those pics with a big boobed woman in the foreground and somebody asks you about a tree in the background... which tree...? :lol:

Return to “Keyboards”