PLU ML87 any good?

zakazak

29 May 2011, 17:33

Hi, i wonder if the PLU ML87 are any good? Thought about buying the tenkeyless mx brown one which is quite cheap.

Couldnt find a review :/

Thanks

appie747

29 May 2011, 21:10

zakazak

29 May 2011, 22:00

thanks.. if i got it right it doesnt support 6 keys at the same time? However , it supports enough keys at the same time to be fine for gaming?

intealls

20 Jun 2011, 14:19

Just got mine, and I'm very pleased with it. It feels really sturdy, and the caps aren't as thin as I expected them to be. I got the white one, will write a review in a while.

redpill

06 Jul 2011, 22:58

zakazak wrote:thanks.. if i got it right it doesnt support 6 keys at the same time? However , it supports enough keys at the same time to be fine for gaming?
I believe they are 2KRO, which means some 3 key combinations will fail. If the game you are playing requires those three keys to be pressed at once, you are SOL. I had that problem with of my favorite games with my old rubber dome, it was in fact what wound up driving me back to mechanicals for the first time in a couple decades.

dux

12 Jul 2011, 22:19

In fact I did reach 7KRO just for fun but very specific, including all the modifiers, Shift and ASDF I think. In fact overall it is a 2KRO but a with some gaming specific more more-than-2KRO. I'm not a gamer, so I don't know which combinations I should test.

dux

12 Jul 2011, 22:36

I too am pleased with the overall quality. The POM keycaps are lasered (i have a black one). The keys even look like coated in some way. I think that because they come shiny and you can see the border of that shininess on some keys, so I believe those are small imperfection of the sprayed coating. But I see those imperfections only on special angles. Overall the shininess/coating makes very nice, smooth almost oily look and feel. To bad I needed the German layout and changed them for some Cherries.

In difference to the Ducky it is I think better build, in spite of the price, because the whole top plastic covering is out of one piece of plastic, like Filco or Leopold. Plate mounted, almost 1 kg weight. The mediakeys are useful and discrete.

My only real problem is that stupid lasered Spacebar: thick bigass letters "POM KEYCAP-PLU.CN" on the front side. The keycaps sit extremely stiff so be very careful changing them.

ripster

13 Jul 2011, 05:34

I doubt the keys are coated. The spacebar isn't compatible with Filco, Cherry, Leopold or anybody else AFAIK. That's a bummer especially if you wanted to swap in KBC PBT keys.

And try testing WDE or WAQ for the NKRO test.

dux

13 Jul 2011, 10:14

ripster wrote: And try testing WDE or WAQ for the NKRO test.
WDE or WAQ does not work. But WASDF, Left, Down, Right and Ctrl on the same time does.

dux

13 Jul 2011, 10:41

ripster wrote:I doubt the keys are coated.
You can see the difference of the shininess in the on the top 2 milimeters of the EnterKey, of the ShiftKey and the |\ Key. I think it is a defect of the sprayed coating.
Plu coating??
Plu coating??
Picture 3.jpg (253.44 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
Interestingly those three keys dos not match the color of the others. Interestingly my Cherries match the Spacebar, the Alt / Ctrl row of the Plu. But the difference in the real life is almost not noticable, my webcam is exaggerating.

dux

13 Jul 2011, 10:46

ripster wrote: The spacebar isn't compatible with Filco, Cherry, Leopold or anybody else AFAIK. That's a bummer especially if you wanted to swap in KBC PBT keys.
Not sure about that:
POM plu Spacebar
POM plu Spacebar
Picture 4.jpg (461.51 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
There is a group buy on GH right now with plu keyset http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?1981 ... h-freebies, so you can ask them if the spacebar fits.

dux

04 Aug 2011, 23:42

The PCB seems to be an exact copy of the Filco layout.
Picture 5.jpg
Picture 5.jpg (517.53 KiB) Viewed 5738 times
Replacement PCB and steel plate (including ISO, Cherry keys and fully programmable) will (hopefully) be made available by some guys on http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?2018 ... rest-check

Return to “Keyboards”