IBM Model M2 Some Keys not Working

igorBOSS

08 Dec 2015, 04:53

Hi! I just received my IBM Model M2 mechanical keyboard (Part no. 1395300) today that I bought from eBay about a week ago. I got a really nice deal for one in decent condition. I got it all up and working, but to my disappointment, some of the keys are not working. I just got literally an hour ago, so I didn't dissemble it yet for cleaning or anything (which I will be doing). The keys that do dot seem to be working are:
F1, 2, W, S, X, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock

Can someone please explain to me what is causing this problem? This is my first mechanical keyboard so I am kind of a noob. Could it be bad contact with the membrane, or is my controller board bad?
Any help would be appreciated, as I plan to take it apart tomorrow for cleaning.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_20151207_193813057.jpg
IMG_20151207_193813057.jpg (689.72 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
IMG_20151207_195132915.jpg
IMG_20151207_195132915.jpg (677.31 KiB) Viewed 2834 times

bhtooefr

08 Dec 2015, 05:45

I'm assuming you mean that the keys click, but no keystroke is generated?

I would be inclined to suspect poor contact between the controller and membrane, myself.

Rule #1 of disassembling a M2: Remove stabilized keys LAST. (This is the shift keys, Enters, backspace, numpad +, and spacebar, IIRC - seven keys.)

Rule #2 of disassembling a M2: Be very careful with the stabilized keys - all buckling spring keys like to release violently, but if this happens, the stabilizer will break. (A quick tap with a soldering iron can repair it, but far better to not break it in the first place.

Rule #3 of disassembling a M2: If you can separate the halves with the keyboard upside down, your life will be 100x easier. You'll still end up scattering springs, but at least they'll stay in the keyboard.

igorBOSS

08 Dec 2015, 05:53

bhtooefr wrote: I'm assuming you mean that the keys click, but no keystroke is generated?

I would be inclined to suspect poor contact between the controller and membrane, myself.

Rule #1 of disassembling a M2: Remove stabilized keys LAST. (This is the shift keys, Enters, backspace, numpad +, and spacebar, IIRC - seven keys.)

Rule #2 of disassembling a M2: Be very careful with the stabilized keys - all buckling spring keys like to release violently, but if this happens, the stabilizer will break. (A quick tap with a soldering iron can repair it, but far better to not break it in the first place.

Rule #3 of disassembling a M2: If you can separate the halves with the keyboard upside down, your life will be 100x easier. You'll still end up scattering springs, but at least they'll stay in the keyboard.
That is precisely the problem. The keys press, as any other key does, but do not generated a keystroke. I greatly appreciate that you provided some tips on taking it apart. I looked at a guide as well, so I will do it upside down. I got it for just $32, so I'll be very happy if I can get it to work.

terrycherry

08 Dec 2015, 07:55

Return to “Keyboards”