Niz plum 35g or 45g?

Palatino

13 Feb 2022, 11:15

Muirium wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 17:28
So, to take stock: OP comes to DT seeking advice on which Niz to buy. Several HHKBs are subsequently bought, including OP. All’s well that ends well!
Hmm, we’ll have to watch this new mod. He may be eliminating spam, but chances are high he’ll expand his definition of that to everything not related to HHKBs and Kishsavers, and won’t rest till all threads lead to Edinburgh!

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2022, 12:05

My tyranny is neatly contained within my own posts. ;)
ironicmoustache wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 06:41
I managed to get a white Type-S on Yahoo Auctions for a pretty good price, should be with me in a couple of days (unless it gets stuck at customs, who proceed to then "not receive" my email despite knowing exactly when I sent it). Excited to have one again, even if I may not end up using it as much as I really should (I really do think I'm a 55g guy)...
Nice catch. But here's a Topre pro tip: become a 45g guy. You get more choice this way!

I quite like 55g as well, but it takes some getting used to whenever I pull out the Realforce. Daily use is what shapes you, and my HHKB has well and truly owned me.
Go-Kart wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 23:22
The new addition to your family is quite the canvas. This is the thing with white HHKBs for me at least; they already look so pretty. Whereas a black model? There's so many ways they can be dressed up! Even something like neon green mods would look a treat on that puppy!
Thanks. I quite agree. Already put Topre's little Control and Esc kit on it (you get two sets in one) and I like that highlight. Then I put on a matching red PBT spacebar, and I'm not so sure. Highlights the fundamental asymmetry of the spacebar's location. I'll probably tone it back down to black, PBT obvs.

Definitely got a few ideas for caps playtime on the new board. No pics today though as Scotland's dark as Mordor with all this rain. Besides, I've a damping mod to perform…

Go-Kart

13 Feb 2022, 13:27

Has anyone ever had their hands on these? I was eyeing them up for a black HHKB if I were to ever purchase one myself. ABS double shots. They don't look too bad. I'd be willing to gamble for £45.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000095 ... ZtpRl&mp=1

wobbled

13 Feb 2022, 13:30

Go-Kart wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 13:27
Has anyone ever had their hands on these? I was eyeing them up for a black HHKB if I were to ever purchase one myself. ABS double shots. They don't look too bad. I'd be willing to gamble for £45.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000095 ... ZtpRl&mp=1
The reviews seem pretty decent, as long as you don't expect topre keycap quality you'll probably be fine.

wobbled

13 Feb 2022, 13:32

ironicmoustache wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 06:41
I managed to get a white Type-S on Yahoo Auctions for a pretty good price, should be with me in a couple of days (unless it gets stuck at customs, who proceed to then "not receive" my email despite knowing exactly when I sent it). Excited to have one again, even if I may not end up using it as much as I really should (I really do think I'm a 55g guy)...
Over time and heavy usage your domes will get closer to 55g anyway. Both my pro 1 and older pro 2 are definitely not 45g anymore

ironicmoustache

13 Feb 2022, 15:05

Yeah, the old one I dailied for about ~4 years did stiffen up a bit over the years (if I recall correctly), but I did immediately swap over to using a 55g RF daily once I added one to the collection. That said, I didn't quite like the 55g swapped HHKB I tried once, so I guess the HHKB is good how it is?

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2022, 16:59

Of course it bloody well is! Only needs damped to attain practical earthly perfection. Speaking of which: just installed the vital Hypershpere rings in mine, and some lube. Left the little ` key without a damping ring, as a reminder of its truth. So much happier with the sound on every other key now. Still that wondrous Topre thock, freed from the plastic smack.

Back together, I'm really digging this all black look. Going to keep it fairly ninja for a while, I think. Though now the damping's done, it's the cable that's bugging me. Better ready my second purchase from Hasu.

wobbled

13 Feb 2022, 17:03

Do you prefer Hyperspheres to Deskeys and KBDFans?
I've always disliked the thickness of Hyperspheres.

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2022, 17:06

Are the others all thinner, by chance?

Hypersphere's are all I've known. Proxied a load of them as you may remember. Installed them in my 87U, a couple of NovaTouches and now this second HHKB. (My 2014 HHKB came as Type-S, stock.)

I find Hyper's rings really nice. The do the job very effectively, leaving a good share of thock. But yes, as I've no experience with the others you mentioned, I can't compare, only speculate.

Palatino

13 Feb 2022, 17:34

Might you have a spare I could buy in your collection of PBT HHKB spacebars? Preferably black but white ok. I get the feeling I’m going to shine up my stock one pretty fast.

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2022, 18:45

Is your stock one ABS or PBT? I think they changed them for the better on the new models, might be wrong though.

wobbled

13 Feb 2022, 20:24

Yep the spacebars on the pro 3 classic and hybrid models are PBT
Anything older is ABS

Palatino

13 Feb 2022, 20:42

I mean for my Pro 2 - pretty sure it’s ABS. Not at all unpleasant in feel and sound, but PBT is Pretty Bloody Thocky ;)

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2022, 21:38

Also applies to Textured. Astonishingly Bad Shine has no place on an HHKB.

Think I’ve got 2 black PBT spacebars. One on the HHKB now and one reserve. A few more whites, though.

Muirium
µ

14 Feb 2022, 01:58

wobbled wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 20:24
Yep the spacebars on the pro 3 classic and hybrid models are PBT
Anything older is ABS
The only exterior part of mine that remains ABS now is the case. It's clearly marked ABS on the inside, as you open it up. That's an advantage to the black one: no (noticeable) yellowing to fuss about, even in the shell. I might even use this one outside in the sun without thinking twice about it.

Wonder if they also improved that with the next generation? Doubt it, but it'd be a nice move for the white models especially.

I like Topre / PFU didn't even put a sticker over a screw hole on this keyboard. Makes it seem quite welcoming to nip inside. Now the rings are done, and the stabs are good and slick, my only other business within is Hasu's controller, once he's cooked it up for me. Stoked for that part! It was transformative for my first HHKB. This stock controller won't even play dice with an iPad!

keyboardnoob

17 Feb 2022, 14:23

If anyone is interested in a Niz, the keyboard company has apparently reduced its prices, with around £110ish and £130ish for the white non-backlit wired and bluetooth versions respectively, with free UK shipping.

The Niz is calling me, but I think I will wait for a bit longer. Not good to get 1-2 keyboards a month i would say. My wallet is begging me to resist.

https://www.keyboardco.com/category.asp ... de&rtv=100

vzsozs

17 Feb 2022, 17:47

Mine came with 10g springs. I have installed them so it went from 35 to 45g.

keyboardnoob

17 Feb 2022, 22:44

vzsozs wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 17:47
Mine came with 10g springs. I have installed them so it went from 35 to 45g.
From what I have read the springs don't do much. What is your experience? Do you prefer the 35g or did you add the springs?

wobbled

17 Feb 2022, 22:56

Literally the only thing springs do is add weight, you don't get different tactility like you would by switching to a 45g dome.
Ideal for those you like a smooth & near linear switch that isn't lighter than a feather.

ironicmoustache

18 Feb 2022, 04:19

Muirium wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 01:58
The only exterior part of mine that remains ABS now is the case. It's clearly marked ABS on the inside, as you open it up. That's an advantage to the black one: no (noticeable) yellowing to fuss about, even in the shell. I might even use this one outside in the sun without thinking twice about it.
I weirdly like the idea of having a yellowed HHKB case (I think I saw a very yellowed one in one of Hasu's photos???), which is why I got a white one. Maybe.

Will need to swap the spacebar for a PBT one though, not keen on the classic Apple M0110/A "grey keycaps and yellowed spacebar" look.

HHKB took 2 days from Japan to Malaysia, a week to get through customs... as ever. Fuck knows why I opted for EMS instead of FedEx/etc.

Muirium
µ

18 Feb 2022, 10:11

Customs agony, can feel it from here! Good luck.

The yellowed HHKB you mention is indeed Hasu's own. We chatted in email a bit when I placed my HHKB bluetooth controller order.
Muirium wrote: Hey Hasu!
I’m thinking about buying another HHKB Pro 2 (ANSI, black brother to my main daily driver since 2014), and if I do I’m absolutely ordering another of your Bluetooth controllers for it. I gather from your sales thread they’re still available?
Hasu wrote: The controller is still available and can be shipped within a week or two. Glad to hear about your HHKB! I love my daily driver PD-KB300 too. It got yellowed on its case but still stays healty :D
ABS yellows slower here in Scotland because of the lower UV index in the summer, and no bloody light at all in winter! But even so, I'm keen to try my black HHKB outside in the bright season. I'm instinctively cautious with pale keyboards, because I know they get sunburn. They're practically gingers! :oops:

wobbled

18 Feb 2022, 18:16

Well there's got to be some perks to being Scottish 😉
(don't ban pls 😞)

Can confirm your black HHKB will be fine outside in summer though, can't say the same for gingers...

Muirium
µ

19 Feb 2022, 09:34

Ban? As if. I’d have to ban myself in no time!

Jan Pospisil

19 Feb 2022, 11:30

I really want a NiZ switch keyboard, but they're all in ANSI. :( No plans for ISO, I was told.
(I even found another Korean brand with the same switches, in lovely 1800-like layout, but only ANSI as well.)
I even found someone's custom PCB project for these switches and the first thing they said was "I won't make it ISO compatible, too messy". :D
I continue to suffer.

Return to “Keyboards”