Ortholinear vs Standard

JCMax

16 Apr 2022, 01:19

How would you compare typing on a keyboard with ortholinear alphanumeric layout vs the regular standard?

And I'm not talking about keys already in the ortholinear layout like the numpad and the nav cluster.

Would you say you were able to type more comfortably on it, or did it depend on other factors, i.e. layout, etc?

gipetto

16 Apr 2022, 01:40

I have been using qwerty keyboards, both iso and ansi for over 20 years and always found myself hitting the wrong key, then backspacing subconsciously to find out where my fingers are. i never learned to type properly.
when i went to preonic layout since it was so much smaller i was able to stop that behaviour. I don't find myself taking advantage of the ortho layout because my hands cross it at 45 degrees. my hands are unusually large so i have no alternative, also i use the keeb in my lap. maybe an ortho arisu would suit me better.

Muirium
µ

16 Apr 2022, 13:29

If you’re going to bother with learning a new layout—and ortho is definitely a different physical layout—you might as well learn a real ergonomic design which bears some resemblance to the actual shape of your hands. Ortho isn’t ergonomic. It’s just also different.

JCMax

16 Apr 2022, 17:13

Muirium wrote:
16 Apr 2022, 13:29
If you’re going to bother with learning a new layout—and ortho is definitely a different physical layout—you might as well learn a real ergonomic design which bears some resemblance to the actual shape of your hands. Ortho isn’t ergonomic. It’s just also different.
Thanks for clearing that up! I've heard so many mixed things from people about ortho and I'm at that stage where I wanted to experiment with some of these different designs. If it's not an enhancement I think I'll just move on.
gipetto wrote:
16 Apr 2022, 01:40
I have been using qwerty keyboards, both iso and ansi for over 20 years and always found myself hitting the wrong key, then backspacing subconsciously to find out where my fingers are. i never learned to type properly.
when i went to preonic layout since it was so much smaller i was able to stop that behaviour. I don't find myself taking advantage of the ortho layout because my hands cross it at 45 degrees. my hands are unusually large so i have no alternative, also i use the keeb in my lap. maybe an ortho arisu would suit me better.
Hmmm....it might be interesting to try at least once though. Just to see what it's like.

gipetto

16 Apr 2022, 18:16

go for it, though something with 3u in the middle like the lumberjack or even a full split would avoid most of the issue.

Lanrefni

16 Apr 2022, 19:15

I prefer ortho and have been using a BFO-9000 for a few years now and love it.

vvp

16 Apr 2022, 19:34

It is not hard to learn a new layout if the only difference is standard versus ortholinear but both essentially e.g querty. But I agree with Muirium: if you are going to learn new layout go directly to an ergonomic keyboard like e.g. Ergodox or Kinesis Advantage. Definitely something with thumb clusters and preferably split. If that is too alien for you then split space bar at least.

I fully learned Kinesis Advantage layout in about 2 weeks. I trained about 30 minutes, maybe an hour a day. The rest was learned on the job. You will not forget the standard layout after learning something more ergonomic. You will be able to switch easily between layouts without even thinking.

mmm

16 Apr 2022, 20:14

Ortho in itself is not more ergonomic I believe, but it may be a gateway drug to something that is more "ergo". It can take some time getting accustomed to. I had a intermediate period while learning to type on a Corne where I was fumbling around even when I got back on a standard row stagger layout, but now any change between keyboards is seamless. Typing on smaller ergo boards definitely made me a better typist, and I find myself better utilizing all of my fingers now. I think ergo(and ortho) challenges habits that way, and with the built-in programmability, I think it opens up to customizing the layout to your preference more, compared to a standard layout.

LambdaCore

17 Apr 2022, 00:47

I don't know if it's the best gateway though, since you could similarly get into supposedly more 'ergonomic' layouts through software. That said, Ironically, I got a pretty interesting custom unicomp that uses colemak which I just switch back to qwerty through software when I use it

Muirium
µ

17 Apr 2022, 12:27

A good gateway is a real ergo. If you wanna try it, try it. Not some other thing that’s also different!

Ortho works best for non-alpha keyboards entirely: ie. numpads and macropads. That’s why every mundane full-size keyboard has a taste of ortho over on the right. Shame they had to go and put it where the mouse goes. :lol:

Return to “Keyboards”