does lube help with alps stiffness on some keys?

maxrunner

27 Aug 2012, 00:28

So my ortek mck-84 is really fun to type but some of the keys(mainly the bigger ones) sometimes get more difficult to press if you dont do it right in the middle area. I was wondering if using any kind lube insertion might help?

regards,

RiGS

28 Aug 2012, 00:59

Absolutely.

codehead

29 Aug 2012, 20:16

Please advice on or link to the kind of lubes that are suitable. I'd be interested in giving some to my Dell.

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

30 Aug 2012, 09:12

I don't know about alps, but I use Krytox 205 in cherry mx. I assume it would work the same in alps, but I may be wrong.

codehead

30 Aug 2012, 11:22

I visited Clas Ohlson and bought CRC electronic cleaner and CRC white lithium grease (sprayed) containing PTFE.

Using the latter one now on a couple of switches and keys to test. This one shouldn't eat the plastics.

codehead

30 Aug 2012, 12:43

codehead wrote:I visited Clas Ohlson and bought CRC electronic cleaner and CRC white lithium grease (sprayed) containing PTFE.

Using the latter one now on a couple of switches and keys to test. This one shouldn't eat the plastics.
I ended up spraying the whole plate instead of just dipping one switch by one. I feel dizzy now. :shock:

mxfh

02 Sep 2012, 00:33

Hello, I'm pretty new to mechanical keyboards but already love my noppoo Choc-84 Brown.
Can I get a primer on lubes and switches, didn't find anything concerning that topic in the wiki and guess this thread is the closest thing.

I applied some Turmofluid 40 B on all the metal-to-plastic contact points (spacebar, enter etc.) and it worked wonders (as it did before on my bike chain :) ).
Getting a dedicate small needle for application is definitely worth considering for application since Q-tips soak up too much and are not especially precise.
For testing I applied some to the Caps key switch and seems to be significantly less squeaky, especially the pitch seems to be much lower, which I prefer in general. Is it safe to treat switches with lube, any worst case scenarios to avoid?

Here are the specs of the lubricant:
http://www.lubcon.com/uploads/media/LUB ... _-_eng.pdf

maxrunner

02 Sep 2012, 23:38

How do you apply to alps switches?

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

03 Sep 2012, 00:29

Like any switch - You open it up and apply lube to all the parts that move past each other and cause friction. I assume this process will be quite hard for alps in comparison to cherry mx.

Topre Enthusiast

03 Sep 2012, 00:36

I thought it was a lot easier to open an Alps switch than a Cherry MX? Putting it back together though would depend on the Alps variant though I guess...

Return to “Keyboards”