Model M right shift key

elecplus

18 Mar 2015, 23:09

What would make this key not pop back up? I have tried 3 different caps, but they all do the same thing.
It feels "tight" to get it in. The stabilizer and spring are there. It sounds scratchy when pressed, and the "ping" is missing.
It will not pop back up. I have removed all the surrounding keys, to make sure there is no interference.

The Enter key above it was broken, but I removed it, and all the little bits of plastic.

What am I missing?

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 23:14

Is the spring bent? They can do that. Need replaced if there's a kink.

elecplus

18 Mar 2015, 23:16

Nope. It is very strange. After I replaced the Enter key, suddenly it started working!

Muirium
µ

18 Mar 2015, 23:23

Those right shifts can be temperamental:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/ibm ... t9763.html

I'm not a fan of 2.75u Shift keys anyway. Hard to stabilise and a real waste of HHKB style potential!

eldorange

18 Mar 2015, 23:50

I have the same problem...the right shift key will get stuck for no apparent reason at all...My solution is to press the Arrow sign on the right Shift key while typing...

Minus (-) key in numpad is not working too...read somewhere (still have to find it) its a common problem on some Model M variants....

snoopy

19 Mar 2015, 10:43

has this M that little plastic insert under shift? if so, replace that.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Mar 2015, 04:01

I've found just a tiny bit of "Finish Line Extreme Fluoro" to be just as effective as replacing the plastic barrel stabilizer guide to which snoopy refers.

Return to “Keyboards”