Bought a Tipro keyboard, good deal?

Touch_It

12 Apr 2015, 04:44

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.as ... D=20920523

Bought this on goodwill online (obviously)

About 25 shipped. Did I get a good purchase?

Mal-2

12 Apr 2015, 07:06

You done pretty good, assuming it works. (They didn't test it, according to the listing.)

Be aware that it is a PS/2 model, meaning you will only be able to program it on a machine with a PS/2 keyboard interface and a 32-bit version of Windows. The software does not work with 64-bit Windows. (Now if this was the USB model, it would work with either 32 or 64-bit.)

Once it is programmed, you can use an adapter to hook it to a serialUSB port, but it will not accept new programming this way.
Last edited by Mal-2 on 13 Apr 2015, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.

Touch_It

12 Apr 2015, 15:31

Ps 2 port isn't an issue, though windows 32 but is lame. Hopefully can scrounge up something at work that is 32 bit. I also suppose I could probably make a converter with a pro micro or teensy. I thought it would be too good to pass up in the 20-30 range shipped.

Edit so hopefully it works, if not oh well, I'll either see if it's fixable, scavenge switches (I'm assuming mx black) or pass it on.

scottc

12 Apr 2015, 15:56

Looks like a fantastic catch to me. No teensy/etc necessary, just 32-bit Windows once-off to reprogram the layout. I think Mal-2 meant USB by "serial".

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

12 Apr 2015, 17:04

Very nice. I need to remember to check Goodwill auctions more often. Even if we end up in a bidding war it all goes to charity so it's only so bad.

Touch_It

12 Apr 2015, 17:53

Yeah, I usually forget to check but lucked into it. There is actually an ssk on there ending tonight. I posted it in the great finds section.

Mal-2

13 Apr 2015, 01:04

scottc wrote: Looks like a fantastic catch to me. No teensy/etc necessary, just 32-bit Windows once-off to reprogram the layout. I think Mal-2 meant USB by "serial".
Yeah I meant USB the second time (though the S in USB means Serial). They came in both flavors (PS/2 and USB), and the programming software for the USB version will run on x64 Windows, while the programming software for the PS/2 version will not.

Touch_It

13 Apr 2015, 01:13

Forgot I had a 32 bit pos vista laptop lying around. Programming shouldn't be an issue. I'll post pics etc once I get the board.

Edit no ps2 port. I'll find something at work.

scottc

13 Apr 2015, 01:30

Mal-2 wrote:
scottc wrote: Looks like a fantastic catch to me. No teensy/etc necessary, just 32-bit Windows once-off to reprogram the layout. I think Mal-2 meant USB by "serial".
Yeah I meant USB the second time (though the S in USB means Serial). They came in both flavors (PS/2 and USB), and the programming software for the USB version will run on x64 Windows, while the programming software for the PS/2 version will not.
Yep, just wanted to point it out since "serial port" is a different thing and that's how I read it the first time! I actually have a Jarltech matrix board that was programmable over an actual serial port. Never done it, though, too much hassle for me. I just ravaged it for its switches.

Mal-2

13 Apr 2015, 03:45

scottc wrote: Yep, just wanted to point it out since "serial port" is a different thing and that's how I read it the first time! I actually have a Jarltech matrix board that was programmable over an actual serial port. Never done it, though, too much hassle for me. I just ravaged it for its switches.
It's not a lost cause, but RS-232 hardware is indeed rare these days.
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-RS23 ... B00006B8C0
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/StarTe ... 11528.aspx

Some radios still require programming to be done over old-school serial, and don't play nice with USB-to-serial adapters.

Return to “Keyboards”