What is the purpose of buying Realforce-boards as a backup?

hKing

19 Apr 2015, 09:53

Disclaimer:
This is not a Topre-hate-thread. I own a Realforce and I love it!!!

Hi there,

as mentioned above, I am asking myself this question. Every few weeks I come across some thread or post in which users say they buy a HHKB / Realforce for backup.

Yesterday, I found an interesting thread on Geekhack. The topic is very different from what I wanted to know, but someone posted a (for me) "shocking" info:
Unfortunately 5 years might be long enough to wear HHKB, though I don't know whether Realforce wear or not.
My two pros had worn in 6-7 years. But I didn't find mine worn till I did overhaul one completely and compared with other. I had been using my worn HHKBs without any complain untill that.
Quote from hasu @ Geekhack, https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=26646.0

HHKB and Realforce are using the exact same switch as far as I know so I'll go on with this one.

I always thought Realforces are very durable and "built to last". 6 or 7 years are just pretty much pathetic if you ask me. Even my 10€ Cherry STREAM XT lasted 9 years (heavy use!) back in the day. The other thing is that the switch-functionality relies heavily on rubberdome. As this is a polymer, the plasticiser should evaporate in some time.

So, to get back to my initial question: What's the purpose of buying backups?

I know it's for the day that (hopefully) never comes, but either you just wear through your beloved board in no time or the switch isn't usable after some years because of the evaporating plasticiser / briddle rubberdome.

Any thoughts on this?

Topre Enthusiast

19 Apr 2015, 10:10

I have Topre keyboards that are over 25 years old and they still work fine with their original dome sheets. They don't feel as snappy as a fresh Realforce but I think given their age they have held up very well. If I *really* wanted to, I could completely rejuvenate these old boards with a fresh dome sheet. It would be expensive but if it gets another 25 year of life out of it, then I think it's money well spent.

Mal-2

19 Apr 2015, 11:30

002 wrote: I have Topre keyboards that are over 25 years old and they still work fine with their original dome sheets. They don't feel as snappy as a fresh Realforce but I think given their age they have held up very well. If I *really* wanted to, I could completely rejuvenate these old boards with a fresh dome sheet. It would be expensive but if it gets another 25 year of life out of it, then I think it's money well spent.
Are they evenly worn across the entire keyboard? That could help distinguish whether it's mechanical stress (use) or just plain time that does the deed.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

19 Apr 2015, 11:41

It's an expensive backup that's for sure. It can also be somewhat of an investment, but not really. I don't see any sense in buying one as a backup if you're not going to use it at all. Or they are substituting the word backup for collecting.

wlhlm
~

19 Apr 2015, 11:44

Do Topre switches have some kind of keystroke rating like the 50 million for Cherry MX?

hKing

19 Apr 2015, 11:54

Originally they were rated for 30 Million, but they updated that as of the introdution of the Type Heaven.

Topre is now equal to Cherry: 50 Million.

But that has nothing to say in terms of longtime-durability.

Mal-2

19 Apr 2015, 11:59

hKing wrote: Originally they were rated for 30 Million, but they updated that as of the introdution of the Type Heaven.

Topre is now equal to Cherry: 50 Million.

But that has nothing to say in terms of longtime-durability.
My G86 keyboards are "only" rated to 25 million. I doubt they're going to die of over-use. I would expect something like the rubber domes turning to mush or powder from chemical decay to be the eventual cause of death, not typing too much.

Cafeine

19 Apr 2015, 15:17

I saw people using HHKB 1 for years now without any trouble. The whole backup thing is more an excuse to buy more and have one spare for work, spilling accident, etc. It would be interesting to know the exact nature of the compound used for the domes. I just refoamed my speakers (1995...) and yep, some kind of material just goes to dust after a while. But I doubt Topre domes are made in the same way.

seebart

19 Apr 2015, 16:10

Yes Topre are high end products that will surely last much longer than your average rubberdome. I'd say the Realforce I owned was easily one of the best built keyboards I have experienced. But then again we all need keyboard "backups" don't we? ;p I'm getting some more backups from webwit soon. I'm looking forward to those very special "backups".

wlhlm
~

19 Apr 2015, 16:36

I wonder how many got backup keyboards, but no backup of their data... :roll:

seebart

19 Apr 2015, 16:40

wlhlm wrote:I wonder how many got backup keyboards, but no backup of their data... :roll:
hehe very good point.

Hypersphere

19 Apr 2015, 19:44

The idea of a backup is so that you will be sure to have an item that you like/need in case the original is no longer available because of failure, theft, fire, etc. RFs and HHKBs are not as readily available as some other types of keyboards, and it is always possible that some sources of new keyboards will disappear. On the other hand, it would not be unreasonable to expect that the rubber domes in Topre-switch keyboards might degrade over time, even if the keyboards are not being used, which would diminish the value of having a backup. However, if it would take something like 25 years for the rubber domes to degrade to any noticeable extent, it would be worth having a backup.

Return to “Keyboards”