Guangdong Alps  vs  Matias Alps  - 2.jpg
Guangdong Alps vs Matias Alps - 2.jpg (963.04 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
Spoiler:
Guangdong Alps  vs  Matias Alps  - 3.jpg
Guangdong Alps vs Matias Alps - 3.jpg (934.44 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
Spoiler:
Alps caps - 1.jpg
Alps caps - 1.jpg (137.75 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
Last edited by sprit1 on 03 May 2015, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

03 May 2015, 10:31

OK just a small amount of explanation what exactly you want to convey would be nice...

Just a visual comparison? Nothing wrong with that.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

03 May 2015, 11:34

I think this is just a teaser and more details are about to come. As far as I know these are the first clear housing ALPS clones I have ever saw.

chzel

03 May 2015, 12:25

So they basically are clones of clones?
First Alps clones with clear housing would be the Matias, I'd think.

Chyros

03 May 2015, 12:36

chzel wrote: So they basically are clones of clones?
First Alps clones with clear housing would be the Matias, I'd think.
Clones of clones of simplified clones of cost-reduced re-dos, yeah xD .

AlexdeL

03 May 2015, 19:55

If I am not mistaken Matias is also manufactured China.

Muirium
µ

03 May 2015, 20:30

I can't tell from the pictures. But I assume these are likely to be 100% genuine Matias switches that the manufacturer is cheating Matias by selling them for less, on the side. That's business in China!

sero

03 May 2015, 23:01

If the Matias switches are made in China it is also possible their designs got leaked and they are being straight up copied. Never make anything in China if you don't want it getting copied and made by other factories there. Alps clones are nothing new or exciting though as others have pointed out. Even if they were dirt cheap. I would rather have Gaterons.

However...If they could make them with MX stems somehow....that would be something I would be interested in. The Matias clickys are amazing. I just love the snappy tactile click on those.

Muirium
µ

03 May 2015, 23:11

Yup. There is no such thing as intellectual property in China. End of story.

I wonder how long Apple needs to save its billions (they have almost $200B in the bank) to afford the ultimate project: build a new Shenzen in America? They're so profitable, so control freaky, and so deeply annoyed every time their next model is spoiled by complete component leaks… if there's any threat to Chinese industry today, it's those guys!

Chyros

04 May 2015, 02:10

I've had dirt-cheap Cherry switches mailed to me from China. They were almost the same as real ones except they were unbranded. Matiases AREN'T even branded. I think it's that, pretty much.

jacobolus

04 May 2015, 03:08

sero wrote: Alps clones are nothing new or exciting though as others have pointed out. Even if they were dirt cheap. I would rather have Gaterons. However...If they could make them with MX stems somehow....that would be something I would be interested in. The Matias clickys are amazing. I just love the snappy tactile click on those.
Matias linear switches are much much smoother than Gateron linear switches, FWIW.

Hak Foo

04 May 2015, 07:27

I do see some differentiation in the metal leaves-- the stamped portion in one is larger, and one has a hole in it. Not sure this will make a meaningful difference in feel.

sprit1

04 May 2015, 16:50

Hello guys! Labor day, Mother's day, children's day here, no time to write properly.
The casings seem identical, some of Matias quiet n tactile pro share same mould number, shape details, even moulding scars with the other simplified switches made in a Guangdong company near Gateron. I bought the switches two years ago, they still produce them.
Inner metal parts seem almost identical, only difference found is the contact point. Matias got two dots, the other one got a single dot contact point. Still need to compare more samples when i got tea breaks.

In the pics, one is Matias Tactile Quiet pro with white damper, the other is cicky. So the 2nd leafs differ in shape.
Rough guess is Matias shares the rights on the polycarbonate mould with Gaote factory (Matias' main supplier) or has no rights at this moment, or the rights terminated, or something.
I will pm and email Matias, get an answer from himself. I am against any piracy and smuggling.

Btw, anyone likes Matias switches or the other simplified switches?
I am too much used to Alps complicated switches, always fail to get friendly with simplified ones. Moreover i have no confidence on the reliability of simplified switches. Still I have curiosity on any new switches.
Last edited by sprit1 on 05 May 2015, 15:23, edited 7 times in total.

sprit1

04 May 2015, 17:21

If someone wants, i will send ~10 pcs of these Guangong switches for free.
Under One condition : only who has Matias, willing to post a detailed comparison review.
If you want to review them, Please Post here.

PS. Need to get an answer from Matias first on the copyright.

Muirium
µ

05 May 2015, 03:23

Anyone else really into Alps / Matias who can do this? I've a full plate for a while…

bhtooefr

05 May 2015, 04:14

I've got too many hobbies on my plate right now, and no board that I'd want to solder these into.

It's worth noting that Gaote is merely the assembler, and the components come from elsewhere:
Matias wrote: They are one of our vendors. They do final assembly of the switches. Other factories are involved in making the component parts.

Touch_It

05 May 2015, 05:03

I just got a 110 pack of Matias colicky switches. I would be interested in doing a comparison. Of note: If you mean a review involving a complete disassembly as I don't have the experience or desire to do so.

andrewjoy

05 May 2015, 13:59

is the matias liner out yet ? Or do we still have to make our own ?

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

06 May 2015, 10:34

I'm actually quite curious about the matias linear, or maybe Guangdong linears?

macmakkara

06 May 2015, 15:09

I believe that its out. Its matias Linear aka Matias Red. It has Red slider.Image

wlhlm
~

06 May 2015, 15:15

Yes, the Infinity (Massdrop) and V60 for example were available with Linears.

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/ind ... ail&p=1103

Return to “Keyboards”